Author Topic: 18 pin vs 24 pin DVI cable?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline watson's box

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
18 pin vs 24 pin DVI cable?
« on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:28 PM »
Hi guys, I would like to know if there is a big difference on a dvi cable with 18 vs 24 pins. I just recently found out that the dvi cable supplied with my old player has 18 pins only, I was thinking of using the dvi port to connect to my plasma via HDMI. The dvi port on the back of the player seems to have all 24 holes for the pins so i was wondering why the supplied cable has only 18 pins. (middle part is missing)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: 18 pin vs 24 pin DVI cable?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 06:52 AM »
Your 18-pin DVI cable is single link DVI-I or DVI-D for digital-only connection which is just fine and can be accommodated by a 24-hole female DVI port.    There are dual-link versions of the cable with 24 pins for analog (same pins for VGA) and digital connection but are rarely used these days.  The female port is designed to accommodate both.  There's nothing wrong with your DVI cable, the "middle part" is absent in single link DVI cables. 
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2009 at 06:57 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline watson's box

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: 18 pin vs 24 pin DVI cable?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 07:41 PM »
thanks for the enlightenment sir. I've already bought my new cable and now i can really appreciate the dvi port at the back of my old dvd player.  :)