Author Topic: Rongxin 5.1 amplified Speaker system  (Read 96821 times)

Offline bigbird2323

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rongxin 5.1 amplified Speaker system
« on: Apr 22, 2003 at 05:12 AM »
Can someone please post a review on this speakers.connected to a dvd with built in decoder,accurate ba ang channel seperation.I'm just curious about these speakers.

Offline av_phile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
Re:Rongxin 5.1 amplified Speaker system
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2003 at 01:10 PM »
Hi bigbird2323,

Apart from the brand you mentioned there are others like Xenon, Kingfisher, Akira, Orange, Promac, etc.  These are China-made products from companies that also produce or market generic DVD players.  They are unabashedly advertised with totals of 700 watts to 3000 watts PMPO and are priced from P1,500 to P4,500 tops.  I believe their true power output for all channels ranges from 15 to 80 watts total in RMS using 3.2 to 4  ohm speaker loads.  Check the back on the main sub unit for power consumption. A typical sub-sat's 50-70 watt electric power consumption cannot give out more than that in acousitc power  Check out the user guide before getting one. Distortion figures in THD are high at about 1%.  So they may only be of audiophile grade at about half the rated power or even less.

I don't have first hand experience with the brand Rongxin. But if it is anywhere near the other brands, let me just share my experience with the Kingfischer 5.1 sub-sat system

In my early HT days, listenning to AC3(DD)and DTS required a dedicated rear and center channel input that my DPL recvr did not have.  I had to buy in the interim  a Kingfisher powered sub-sat for the rear just to test out, in my eagerness, the much touted discrete stereo rear channels (it was cheap at about P1,200) and 2 mos later upgraded to a P4400 Altec Lansing (a tad better but still below audiophile grade)  So what did I discover?  

I initially connected the  Kingfisher sub-sat (which came with 5 sats and 1 sub) directly to the 5.1 analog rear channels of my new DVD Player (using only the sub and 2 sats).  At first, they sounded adequate for the rear ambient  sounds in some DVD titles (The Patriot, The Mummy,) but even with the sub firing away, it was thin and certainly inadequate to reproduce more power hungry DTS rear sounds.  The clipping was outragiously audible for transient bursts in DTS mode (Pearl Harbor, Atlantis, Titan A.E.) and even the dinosaur sounds in Jurassic Park in DD only.

Out of curiosity, I tested the Kingfisher in all 5s connected directly to my DVD as main speakers.  For sure, they couldn't shake my room (4m by 5m).  The low frequency distortion may not be audible for most DVD/CD titles but the sub tended to sound the same across the low frequency spectrum  I think that's what pundits call "one-note bass" to characterize subs that are inadequate.  

As they are apparently copied from BOSE powered sub-sat systems, (which are thrashed in audiophile circles) the Kingfisher sounded  bright and too forward for my taste.  With 2" satellite speakers, they are hard to produce the lower-mid frequencies (250Hz to 700Hz) that make even those cheap 4" bookshelf speakers sound warmer and fuill-boided in comparson.   And those subs  crossover at about 250Hz with the amp apparently designed to bost frequencies in that region.   The sound is similar to having an equalizer that have their sliders in a V formation.  Patti Austin sounded shrill when it should be warm.  Charlotte Church is simply unlistenable.  But the bass thumps are quite boomy, undefined and room-filling (but not room-shaking)

The powered "subs" are just  powered woofers and, using only 5" - 6"drivers on a small housing, they can only go as low as 80Hz and roll off steeply below. The Kingfisher user guide confirms this on their tech specs (I bought it just the same since it was meant for the rears only and rears are not suppose to have low bass, or so I thought, not in DTS)  They may sound adequate on Disco/rap/rock music with a lot of thumping drums and electric bass lines in the 80hz area.  But sorely wanting on jazz or classical music where the accoustic bass and church pipe organ can go really deep into the 20Hz region  On movies, especially with transient explosions, the 6" woofer just bottoms out without even a boom, much less the visceral effect one experiences with the bigger subs. You can feel air movements out of the little hole on the sub, indicating the small woofer's large excursions trying hard to cough out the low frequencies, but with nothing coming out.

If you just want to experience 5.1 discrete DD/DTS channel separation on a very tight budget, these powered sub-sats may be the best option short of getting an HTiB which would put to waste your existing DVD player.  One other thing with regards separation, they sound very speaker specific. That speaks well of the separation but because the sats are so small, too bright/forward and have very limited horizontal sound dispersion characteristic, you can pinpoint the sound as coming from this or that speaker.  That means the surround effect is not as enveloping as it should as it doesn't  blend well across the speakers in the room.   The more expensive ones may even rattle the room a bit.  Just don't expect it to sound like your neighbor's Yamaha-B&W-Velodyne or Onkyo-Wharfedale-Dynaquest set-ups

It should be obvious I am not disposed to favour these 5.1 sub sats.  Not even the Altec Lansing which sounded a lot more detailed, fuller and with tigher bass than that of the Kingfisher.  (I promptly disposed oof then once I got a decent Wharfedale 8.3 for the rear and a Rotel DD/DTS pre-pro. ) I  hope the Rongxin brand is much better.  You should audition it first, preferrably in comparison with a HT receiver+decent bookshelfs + sub.  But if I know the vendors of these sub sats like in Coastal Mall, that would be asking a lot.

Hope this helps.

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2003 at 08:47 PM »
Thanks  Av_phile for shedding some lights into the subject.I really learned a lot.You see I lived in a small 25 sqm studio,with an actual viewing area of only 10 sqm.That's why I'm having second thoughts on whether to go the full HT-route,do you think it's a bit overkill if for example  i get a marantz/wharfdale combi. how about a  mini htib like a nextbase s200,will it suffice.off course I also want the setup to at least be decent.I'm really confused.Can you give me your take on this.Thanks

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2003 at 01:22 PM »
You're 10 sqm viewing area is indeed small for a full-blown home theater set-up.  Perhaps, you may want to extend the viewing pleasure to your entire 25 sqm studio flat.  That way, you can enjoy both movies and music anywhere in your studio.

Personally, if I had the money, I'd still go for the Marantz-Wharfedale combo you mentioned.  I don't know the particular marantz model you have in mind but a 30w/ch rms x 5 or 6 would be a lot more than fullfilling in the room this size.  You can just tone down the volume levels.   But I think most HT recvrs out there start at 70w/ch rms with most in the 100w/ch rms range. A powered sub that makes DVD watching so exciting could result in strong standing waves in such a small room.  Even the cheapest 100w US Audio sub would be more than enough as you may not be able to feel the longer wavelenths of 30 Hz and below belted out by the more expensive subs in a small room.

Then again, if that 5.1 Rongzin brand cost only about P2k-4k or so, I wouldn't mind trying them out. (but that's just me willing to waste that much)   But not those branded HTIB which cost more than P25k.  For that amount, just add about 5K more and you would have an excellent well-reviewed wharfedale diamond 8.1/8C speaker set (fronts, center and rears) and a respectable Denon 1603 recvr.  Another 5K and you can add a decent US Audio sub later.  Or get those DIY speakers available from one of the members here at lesser cost and definitely better sounding than those found in HTIBs.

If you can afford it,  go for the real HT stuff.  Not HTIB,  Just turn down the volume.  And perhaps in the near future if you decide to move to a larger flat, your HT investment can still work for you.

PS
Deaden the room a lot but not too much by using floor carpet or accoustic tiles  for the ceiling, put in some drapes or blinds behind  the speakers, use cushioned couches for the listening spot or use irregular shelves with different sized books on the opposite side as you would not want standing waves which can be severe in a small room.  As a general rule, no two facing and parallel walls should have reflective or smooth surfaces.

Hope this helps.  

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2003 at 11:42 PM »
Hi av_phile.I guess you can never really skimp if you want to get into this hobby.Thanks for the advise  :).

Offline hunter

• Apprentice
  • life goes on...
  • Liked:
"AC-3" Roxing 5.1 active speaker for 2K only
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 11:50 AM »
Any comment for this new entry level 5.1 speaker ...

I saw it in one of the ABU pDVD vendor  at the 2nd floor aircon mall and it rocks...

I'm planning to buy one, need advice...

Offline @tomicZen

• Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
Re:"AC-3" Roxing 5.1 active speaker for 2K only
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 05:09 PM »
Any comment for this new entry level 5.1 speaker ...

I saw it in one of the ABU pDVD vendor  at the 2nd floor aircon mall and it rocks...

I'm planning to buy one, need advice...

Bka Rongxin yan pre? Anong model?
kakabili ko lang last Sunday Rongxin 89DV sa RAON Quiapo....

okay naman sya sa movie pero sa audio parang bitin yung bass nya at lakas..... pero okay na sa mga small room......

IT ROCKS talaga...........

only 2.2k
@tomicZen

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 07:29 PM »
ilang watts rms?
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2003 at 07:30 PM by johndoe »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 06:13 PM »
Bka Rongxin yan pre? Anong model?
kakabili ko lang last Sunday Rongxin 89DV sa RAON Quiapo....

okay naman sya sa movie pero sa audio parang bitin yung bass nya at lakas..... pero okay na sa mga small room......

IT ROCKS talaga...........

only 2.2k

You could always add another active subwoofer kung bitin

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 06:20 PM »
How do you connect this to your DVD player? May 5.1 analog input ba yung mga speakers? Im planning to get one for my sister's Nextbase,  then add ko yung GK sub nya.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 06:58 PM »
How do you connect this to your DVD player? May 5.1 analog input ba yung mga speakers? Im planning to get one for my sister's Nextbase,  then add ko yung GK sub nya.

Yes, may 5.1 analog input ang mga gantong speakers. Problem is hindi lahat ng models is controllable ang volume ng each channel.

May model akong nakita, not Rongxin, but digital sya, with remote pa, controllable lahat ng volume channels, though medyo maliit, anyway parang mga speakers ng Nextbase HTIB, so I think okay na rin, worth 2.2K lang.

Just sharing.

Offline 9kenneth9

• Apprentice
  • just starting
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2003 at 11:00 AM »
hi philander,

anong model ito? kac hanap rin ako para sa aking nb slim.

thanks

Offline @tomicZen

• Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2003 at 05:10 PM »
  You could always add another active subwoofer kung bitin

Levi,
   Paano ako add ng another active subwoofer? Saan ko sya connect?

Thanks
@tomicZen

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2003 at 05:27 PM »
Use a Y connector for the sub out of your nextbase. I dont know the connection of the subwoofer of Rongxin.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2003 at 08:08 PM »
hi philander,

anong model ito? kac hanap rin ako para sa aking nb slim.

thanks

Sorry I dont know the brand,  don't know if may brand nga kasi walang encryption ng brand name sa harap, yung itsura nya is clor off-white to cream with (brown)display panel sa taas ng subwoofer. May gray color grills yung mga satellite speakers.

Offline 9kenneth9

• Apprentice
  • just starting
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2003 at 09:08 AM »
tnx philander,

meron na daw nb s500 kaya baka ibenta ko na lang yung nb slim ko

Offline @tomicZen

• Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2003 at 09:08 AM »
Use a Y connector for the sub out of your nextbase. I dont know the connection of the subwoofer of Rongxin.

okay thanks!!!
@tomicZen

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2003 at 09:47 AM »
tnx philander,

meron na daw nb s500 kaya baka ibenta ko na lang yung nb slim ko

Yup, saw it yesterday at Gold Crest.

Offline Onion Skin

• Collector
  • my hand print
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 08:47 AM »
Yup, saw it yesterday at Gold Crest.

I saw one at Nintendo, Harrison. Didn't ask for the price.

Offline t_s_o_n_g

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 04:36 PM »
I think s500 cost around 7.5K+. Just check it.

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 07:08 PM »
how does the rongxin dv89 compared with the altec lansing 251?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 07:26 PM »
Mas powerful yung rongxin.. sound quality??.... subjective.

IMHO, i'll pick the rongxin: price and performance.

Offline nescafe_frothe

• Collector
  • domestic goddess!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 08:25 AM »
anybody tried using this rongxin 89dv paired w/ nextbase 9000 champagne gold, any insights/comments regarding sound quality?

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 09:06 PM »
where to buy the 89dv, all i see is the 88dv kc. tnx

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 08:18 AM »
try nyo rin yung htib na Kinyo, model number vs-500r, medyo mahal, P5600 sa Knight Audio. Bought one, testing it now, for music tunog computer speakers gaya ng mga generic htibs, ang maganda dito, yung center dalawang 3" drivers, yung ibang satellites tig-isa, may remote control to adjust volumes, sub level, etc. Ang malakas is yung sub nya, 6" driver ya, tapos front ported, medyo malakas, pero problema, di talaga kaya umabot ng mababang Hz.

Offline 3rwin

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 09:59 AM »
yung rongxin ba eh may dts decoder

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 10:07 AM »
where to buy the 89dv, all i see is the 88dv kc. tnx

Same problem here. I went to raon to look for the 89DV and all they had was the 88DV.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 12:55 PM »
yung rongxin ba eh may dts decoder

wala po, just a 5.1 channel-independent amplifier

Offline fierari

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2003 at 10:54 AM »

ano diff ng 89dv sa 88dv????

Offline PUSH

• Collector
  • servant-leader!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 16, 2003 at 06:57 PM »
wala po, just a 5.1 channel-independent amplifier

sir, so ibig sabihin pwede ng iderechong ikabit to sa RCA analog output terminals ng Nextbase(new model)? then you have 5.1 set-up na...tama ba?
salamat po
Registered PDVD member since Nov. 02, 2002 \m/