Author Topic: Onkyo S3300 and The PS3 (WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE on Reply 43)  (Read 16177 times)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Onkyo S3300 and The PS3
« Reply #30 on: Nov 13, 2010 at 09:28 AM »
Hi Carlo. Congrats. This is for your bedroom right?  Are you using the full 7.1 or 5.1 speaker set up?  Have you tried to watch a action packed movie and experience the impact and sound quality of your speakers yet?

No doubt this is going to be the first of many home theater systems you acquire. I bet the living room will have a new HT for christmas and it will not be a HTIB. I bet your wife will be a big supporter of your newest hobby as it even brings the family together . Again congrats and good luck.  I look forward to reading your observations.

+1000000000000000000 ;) :D ;D

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 01:06 AM »
Anyone else with this HTIB? Care to share yer settings?

Thanks

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 01:15 AM »
maybe it's the sub crossover frequency.  adjust it in between 80hz - 120hz.  if that does not help, lower the subs db nalang :)

LPF for the LFE po yata ang tawag dito
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 01:26 AM »
Call me now brader, while me wife is fast asleep! Hehehe or you can post it here :D

@For anybody:

For those who have been using the S3300, may I know your settings?

Like:

Level calibration

if the unit does not have audyssey calibration, setting everything to zero maybe a good start, then try adjusting as you see fit
Audessey

mine is turned on all the time

Dynamic EQ

When turned ON, it gives tonal balance even at low volume level. The low frequency remains pronounced even at low listening level and gets adjusted accordingly as the volume level increase.
Dynamic Volume

either LIGHT, MEDIUM or HEAVY

this is activated usually when watching TV porgrams when the TV is hooked to the HTIB to elimninate sudden changes in volume levels when switching from regular programming to different commercials.

i find value to this seting when watching movies in DTS format at night as this setting eliminates LFEs(unwanted bass thats becomes distrubing at night) yet the dialouges remain clear and pronounced.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

not an expert's opinion but here's hoping the above might help you in tinkering with your system.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 03:21 AM »
LPF for the LFE po yata ang tawag dito
tried tinkering with my settings din bro.
ibang iba sa dati kong, denon receiver  ;D ;D

@Carlo
i think in a day or two may masteral na ako ng audessey ng onkyo.
ill give you call on wednesday maybe, then i can walk you thru it over the phone  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 03:02 PM »
@Onkyo606

Salamat boss!

Techs from Sights and Sounds left a +2 sa center, +0+0 sa fronts and +4 sa surrounds...

Any takes?

Thanks

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 03:26 PM »
@Onkyo606

Salamat boss!

Techs from Sights and Sounds left a +2 sa center, +0+0 sa fronts and +4 sa surrounds...

Any takes?

Thanks

did they run audyssey? because if they did, they should not have changed the values of the gains set by audyssey. if they set it by ear, then it may not be accurate. those values changes depending on the room the receiver is set-up. if you want accurate settings it should be manually calibrated but usually manually calibrating can be tedious hence technology like audyssey can help people like as calibrated rooms easily and accurately.

btw, set the lpf for lfe to the highest possible setting which is 120 hz.

those values

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 09:51 PM »
did they run audyssey? because if they did, they should not have changed the values of the gains set by audyssey. if they set it by ear, then it may not be accurate. those values changes depending on the room the receiver is set-up. if you want accurate settings it should be manually calibrated but usually manually calibrating can be tedious hence technology like audyssey can help people like as calibrated rooms easily and accurately.

btw, set the lpf for lfe to the highest possible setting which is 120 hz.

those values

No, I doubt it if they used Audyseey, and the Audyseey of this unit has no mic set up or whatever ya call it begging me to scream for heeellllllllppppp!!!

Hehehe

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 03:34 AM »
No, I doubt it if they used Audyseey, and the Audyseey of this unit has no mic set up or whatever ya call it begging me to scream for heeellllllllppppp!!!

Hehehe
bro if youre free sunday evening i can drop by   ;)
btw did you get my text message.  yan observation ko lang sa audyssey.  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 05:21 AM »

Hehehe

hmm... it should have a mic included in the package. recheck mo nalang kay sir vic.

audyssey when set up correctly helps a lot, specially in the eq department (this is what people pay for adyssey). once you have set up audyssey, you can still play around with the gains of the speakers and crossovers to suit your taste. but its important to run it. its the eq you are after.

goodluck.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM »
No, I doubt it if they used Audyseey, and the Audyssey of this unit has no mic set up or whatever ya call it begging me to scream for heeellllllllppppp!!!

Hehehe

just to set expectations sir, audyssey will calibrate your set up based on reference setting. there may be a possibility that you will not find it suitable for your taste and still long for something. When this happen, setting would now go to PREFERENCE, as you may want to still make adjustments after audyssey.

you will find Dynamic EQ turned ON benificial.

by the way, Im not an expert in gamings but i just feel the sound reproduction of gaming softwares maybe erratic so its really hard to determine the best sound setting with this.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 11:04 AM »
hmm... it should have a mic included in the package. recheck mo nalang kay sir vic.

audyssey when set up correctly helps a lot, specially in the eq department (this is what people pay for adyssey). once you have set up audyssey, you can still play around with the gains of the speakers and crossovers to suit your taste. but its important to run it. its the eq you are after.

goodluck.

This specific model does not include a mic, the manual makes no mention of a mic being included, and the set up involved.

The Audyssey function here is a mere "on" or "off"...

Called Vic, and he confirms this unit does not really include a mic.

Looks like it's a manual set-up :(

@Onkyo606

Thanks

@Ninja

Will give ya a call...
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM »
UPDATE:

Onkyo Phil just gave me a call today, and they will go to my house to update the firmware! Great service so far, let's see how this goes!

This is in reply to post:

Good thing you have slim ps3 and this htib works for you. But for me having fat ps3 make me returned this htib and gladly got full refund on my money. This htib have rear speakers switching problem when having pcm input, thus, fat ps3 cant bitstream hd audio and no choice but set it to pcm. See below detail got from onkyo press release...

May 25th, 2010
A firmware error has been found on some of Onkyo’s new A/V receivers and home theater systems. When playing back certain Blu-ray Disc and gaming software with 5.1- or 7.1-channel PCM audio content, the left and right channel output is reversed for the surround speakers. This occurs when the HDMI output of the source device (e.g. Blu-ray player) is set to multichannel PCM mode.

Initial production batches of the following models are affected by this issue:
TX-SR308, TX-SR508, HT-S3300, HT-S3305, HT-S5300, and HTX-22HDX.

Please note that no problems occur with a 2.1-channel configuration, or with formats other than multichannel PCM (e.g. Dolby Digital and DTS function normally).

Onkyo is providing a firmware update for each affected model. Owners are requested to contact their local Onkyo distributor.

I called ONKYO official distributor (Toyama Group Center) kasi and they didn't even know about the issue.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 20, 2010 at 03:18 PM »
Many many thanks to Peter of Onkyo Phil, who went out of his way to update the firmware of my S3300 system. The switching issue of the AVR has been corrected, I could now switch to PCM or Bitstream or vice versa without any hitch or problems.

Peter even took a few moments to adjust the unit and it sounds way way better now. The after sales service of Onkyo is more than excellent and there is no doubt, I'd be patronizing Onkyo products from here on...

The newer stocks of Sights and Sounds are already equipped with the latest firmware so there shouldnt be any issues with later adopters.

Offline kiros0110

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 01:48 AM »
Good to hear that... Sure na ba na updated firmware na yung nasa sns? Kung ganon, I'll sir Vic for
reservation and will definitely get this again. Ano nga pala mga sinet ng onkyo service syo? Could
you share to us?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM »
Good to hear that... Sure na ba na updated firmware na yung nasa sns? Kung ganon, I'll sir Vic for
reservation and will definitely get this again. Ano nga pala mga sinet ng onkyo service syo? Could
you share to us?

In the unlikely event you get a unit that's not updated. Onkyo Phil can do that for you, the process takes less than 20 mins.

Offline frontANDcenter

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • @dandarWIN
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Onkyo S3300 and The PS3 (WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE on Reply 43)
« Reply #46 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 02:41 PM »
Congrats on the new system. Btw, are you experiencing any hdmi handshake probs with your current set-up? Thanks. 

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 07:19 PM »
Congrats on the new system. Btw, are you experiencing any hdmi handshake probs with your current set-up? Thanks. 

Like video cuts during playback? None.

Offline frontANDcenter

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • @dandarWIN
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 09:45 PM »
i mean when you are switching between sources, like say for example from a  Hidef STB to a PS3, does it take a long time before pictures would appear in your display, and sound to come out from the speakers? thanks! ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 23, 2010 at 04:08 AM »
Many many thanks to Peter of Onkyo Phil, who went out of his way to update the firmware of my S3300 system. The switching issue of the AVR has been corrected, I could now switch to PCM or Bitstream or vice versa without any hitch or problems.

Peter even took a few moments to adjust the unit and it sounds way way better now. The after sales service of Onkyo is more than excellent and there is no doubt, I'd be patronizing Onkyo products from here on...

The newer stocks of Sights and Sounds are already equipped with the latest firmware so there shouldnt be any issues with later adopters.

Good to hear this bro.  how better is way, way better bro?  :D
mukhang pro talaga yung mga tech ng onkyo kung ganun  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline kupo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 07:22 AM »
If I buy this HTIB online from US? Can anyone here on phil convert the 120V to 220V?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 07:36 AM »
If I buy this HTIB online from US? Can anyone here on phil convert the 120V to 220V?
is getting a voltage regulator or transformer not an option for you?
ninjababez online ..

Offline kupo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 08:00 AM »
is getting a voltage regulator or transformer not an option for you?

Most AVR's have 110V. Can that be used for 120V?

Offline Vinyasa

• Apprentice
  • virabhadrasana II
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM »
sir carlo solid po ba yung tunog ng sub?kasi pinagpilian ko po yang model na yan tsaka yung yamaha yht 391bl pinili ko po yung yamaha kasi active yung sub e balak ko po sanang magpadala po uli ng htib na ganyang model naman for my room for comparison sa sound.thanks.
the truth doesn't hurt, lies do

Offline kiros0110

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM »
sir carlo solid po ba yung tunog ng sub?kasi pinagpilian ko po yang model na yan tsaka yung yamaha yht 391bl pinili ko po yung yamaha kasi active yung sub e balak ko po sanang magpadala po uli ng htib na ganyang model naman for my room for comparison sa sound.thanks.

subwoofer = dagundong  ;D

just bought mine for the 2nd time and this time the firmware is already updated...

Offline bananabond

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 03:06 PM »
to s3300 owners sulit po ba itong htib for the money?

Offline Vinyasa

• Apprentice
  • virabhadrasana II
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 03:18 PM »
sa owners po nung s3300 110v po ba miski sa sight and sounds nabili?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 03:28 PM »
to s3300 owners sulit po ba itong htib for the money?

IMO yes, 7.1 receiver with speakers that can do hd audio and 3d via 1.4 hdmi.  :)
although i think this is meant for a small to medium size room the most.
kaysa naman mag pioneer htib ka na may dvd player nga 22k naman   ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Vinyasa

• Apprentice
  • virabhadrasana II
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 04:11 PM »
s5300 po ung 7.1 with powered/active sub s s3300 po 5.1 lang po with passive sub kung US models po yung nandun sa sight and sounds.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM »
s5300 po ung 7.1 with powered/active sub s s3300 po 5.1 lang po with passive sub kung US models po yung nandun sa sight and sounds.
sorry 5.1 lang pala.  still cheap for a receiver that can do hd audio.
ninjababez online ..