Author Topic: Plasma Break-in (1st impression done)  (Read 10881 times)

Offline mars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Plasma Break-in (An experiment)
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 09:34 AM »
Question lang.

Will using cinema mode prevent burn-in of tv station logos during the break-in period? When you zoom in the tv to remove the logos, meron pang other logo sa may lower left corner (cnn, bbc, etc.) banda sa crawling text ng breaking news. Will this not burn in the screen?

Offline blake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 01:51 PM »
First time plasma user here.

But todo research ako before buying and till now.

Cinema mode and as long as lipat mo channels once in a while , I think safe na for burn in.

Currently running the slides , pero saglit lang mga 5 mins lang, sayang kuryente.

I'm not in a hurry to finish my burn in.

My thought is, first 100 hours is critical, and you can never turn back time, so might as well do the burn in. Small sacrifice for long term TV viewing enjoyment.

and from what I observer, the picture in my plasma is becoming crisper and crisper as day goes by. 2 weeks pa lang TV ko today. Satisfied so far.

Cheers

Blake
42PJ350R

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #32 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 05:57 AM »
I am just curious, I haven't read yet any article focusing on the effect or the resulting problem of a plasma TV not given or not sufficiently given the 100-200 hours of "break-in,"  especially on the resulting quality of the image.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 06:43 AM »
Got my first plasma last night. Break-in period pa, alternating between TV shows, movies and the slides.

Pag zoom in, lumalabas pa rin kalahati ng station logo. Baka yun ang mag burn-in. DI kasi ma change ang channel lalo na pag maganda ang palabas sa HBO or Cinemax. Ok lang ang inbang channels dahil may commercials every few minutes.

When playing the slides, I noticed some IR ng settings box right after I activate the slides. Nawawala naman after about 3 or 4 slides. Pero, sabi nga nila, kung di mo hahanapin, di mo makikita.

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 07:56 AM »
Will the break-in affect the black level quality degradation of the Plasma? I have a PV80 but did not follow the break-in process to the letter when I got it new. Now, the black level quality is not as dark as I want it to be, kinda grayish. It's almost 2 years old and i've always used the eco mode or the movie mode. Are there available tweaks that could lessen this?

Also, I'm asking because I'm eyeing a plasma TV to replace a 32 inch LCD. I want to do this right the second time around. 
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 08:55 AM »
Will the break-in affect the black level quality degradation of the Plasma? I have a PV80 but did not follow the break-in process to the letter when I got it new. Now, the black level quality is not as dark as I want it to be, kinda grayish. It's almost 2 years old and i've always used the eco mode or the movie mode. Are there available tweaks that could lessen this?

Also, I'm asking because I'm eyeing a plasma TV to replace a 32 inch LCD. I want to do this right the second time around. 

So bro -- do you believe that the grayish black is the result of the insufficient "break-in" process?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 09:27 AM »
i've been using a 50pv70 for 3 years now without breaking in the panel for the 1st 100 hrs. my kids played wii most of time and i always watch mkv movies. there are IR that can be seen when the screen is black, usually from the media player's user interface. mawawala naman eventually at di ko rin pinapansin. di mo naman makikita when there's a movie being played.

any of you guys been to bangkok's suvarnabhumi airport? they've got lots of big samsung panels used to display the flight infos. noticed all of them have reflective screens so, i assumed they were plasma panels. been travelling in and out of bangkok every other month for 5 years and never did i saw any IR or burn-in sa mga displays nila. plasma kaya yon or LCD?

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 09:42 AM »
So bro -- do you believe that the grayish black is the result of the insufficient "break-in" process?
I really don't know that is why I posted. ;D
Pero it could be because some of my readings indicate that its related to the aging/maturity of the phospo-something. ;D
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM »
I really don't know that is why I posted. ;D
Pero it could be because some of my readings indicate that its related to the aging/maturity of the phospo-something. ;D

That's quite a revelation, and something worth looking into.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 01:05 PM »
That's quite a revelation, and something worth looking into.

Good day sir Carlo, alin sa mga plasma units na nagamit mo ang may pinaka less reflective ang screen...?

regards,...
Benedict

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 03:01 PM »
Good day sir Carlo, alin sa mga plasma units na nagamit mo ang may pinaka less reflective ang screen...?

regards,...
Benedict

PV80 and 70 boss ;)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 06:17 AM »
Good day again everybody i just want to ask, is it not that the purpose of the break-in color slide and the full screen ratio mode is to prevent the "burn-in" thing on the plasma? So on the aging aspect of the break-in will the CINEMA Mode not sufficient to do this? or it is actually still necessary to use the color slide?

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 07:16 PM »
Good day again everybody i just want to ask, is it not that the purpose of the break-in color slide and the full screen ratio mode is to prevent the "burn-in" thing on the plasma? So on the aging aspect of the break-in will the CINEMA Mode not sufficient to do this? or it is actually still necessary to use the color slide?

S&S recommends eveything at 50 ticks or less, so basically cinema mode will give you that setting.
and it's not burn-in specifically. the purpose of breaking in is for uniform aging of phosphors of the entire display.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Mar 20, 2011 at 11:55 PM »
I'm on my 7th day already, just three more days to go:

Model/Unit:

Panasonic 42V20s

Settings derived from a THX optimizer:

Picture mode: (True Cinema)

Contrast: 48 (Was able to get those six squares with the best possible distinction)
Brightness: 49 (Should be 50 but for the heck of keeping it below the magic number, I made sure it was just 49)
Color: 47 (For my eyes, the color bleeding from the test squares stopped at this number)
Sharpness: 47 (For my eyes, the best value to get razor pillars without being too edgy)
Tint: -2 (Magenta looks more like magenta with this value)

This is in no way a professional calibration, and all values were kept below the prescribed mark of 50. Thankfully the color accuracy of the V20 left little to be calibrated from the default number.

Method:

No cable channels were installed, no other sources were installed (no ps3, no dvd, dvd was only installed during the quick calibration). The only signal that was fed unto this plasma was a USB with those colorful slides.

10 hours a day for 10 days.

With the Tv for the past few days only displaying those color slides, this is probably more than just a strict break-in. We can call it a "Hyper-paranoid, super OC, I love my TV more than my wife break-in" :D
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2011 at 09:12 PM »
I'm on my 7th day already, just three more days to go:

Model/Unit:

Panasonic 42V20s

Settings derived from a THX optimizer:

Picture mode: (True Cinema)

Contrast: 48 (Was able to get those six squares with the best possible distinction)
Brightness: 49 (Should be 50 but for the heck of keeping it below the magic number, I made sure it was just 49)
Color: 47 (For my eyes, the color bleeding from the test squares stopped at this number)
Sharpness: 47 (For my eyes, the best value to get razor pillars without being too edgy)
Tint: -2 (Magenta looks more like magenta with this value)

This is in no way a professional calibration, and all values were kept below the prescribed mark of 50. Thankfully the color accuracy of the V20 left little to be calibrated from the default number.

Method:

No cable channels were installed, no other sources were installed (no ps3, no dvd, dvd was only installed during the quick calibration). The only signal that was fed unto this plasma was a USB with those colorful slides.

10 hours a day for 10 days.

With the Tv for the past few days only displaying those color slides, this is probably more than just a strict break-in. We can call it a "Hyper-paranoid, super OC, I love my TV more than my wife break-in" :D

PDVD is really lucky to have you sir, the sacrifices you make for the benefits of others.. I salute and thank you sir.. :)
Walang Setup

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM »
PDVD is really lucky to have you sir, the sacrifices you make for the benefits of others.. I salute and thank you sir.. :)

Just doing what I can ;)

On a different note:

I've been having bouts of Vertigo and I guess it's time to put the "review mode" under the rug for the meantime. Seems like I should avoid watching scenes with flashy colors and a downgrade to a 32 inch LCD is a possibility - Just to make sure, my head does not spin too much.

I may take some time off, til the newer TVs come around. So for those numerous PMs, I haven't taken the time to answer. Do understand that I'll try to wipe them whenever I can.

Possibilities, possibilities...Also, I may take the plunge and do my own blog for TVs, Blu-ray/DVD units, and video games if and when time permits.

Let me me know.

Bye for now folks! (I'll still post my observations for this particular thread in a few days)

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline chris_santo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 22, 2011 at 09:22 AM »
get well soon carlo.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM »
get well soon carlo.

Long over due.

Anyway, just 2 days more and we're done with this one.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 23, 2011 at 09:16 AM »
One more day.

Offline dencio105

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #49 on: Mar 23, 2011 at 09:20 AM »
Just doing what I can ;)

On a different note:

I've been having bouts of Vertigo and I guess it's time to put the "review mode" under the rug for the meantime. Seems like I should avoid watching scenes with flashy colors and a downgrade to a 32 inch LCD is a possibility - Just to make sure, my head does not spin too much.

I may take some time off, til the newer TVs come around. So for those numerous PMs, I haven't taken the time to answer. Do understand that I'll try to wipe them whenever I can.

Possibilities, possibilities...Also, I may take the plunge and do my own blog for TVs, Blu-ray/DVD units, and video games if and when time permits.

Let me me know.

Bye for now folks! (I'll still post my observations for this particular thread in a few days)

Get well soon Carlo. Looking forward to your blog!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Mar 24, 2011 at 08:46 AM »
Get well soon Carlo. Looking forward to your blog!

Thanks.

Break-in done. Will do testing later. Cheers!

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #51 on: Mar 24, 2011 at 09:27 AM »
Just doing what I can ;)

On a different note:

Let me me know.

Be well brother, been having vertigo as well for over a week now,
mukhang nasobra na ako sa kakapanuod ng mga fast paced action movies,.. HAHAHA

Looking forward to hear your report on your break-in...

regards,
Benedict

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 24, 2011 at 01:12 PM »
@ABCmotorparts

Bad trip yung Vertigo boss :(

---FIRST RESULTS---

Break-in time: 100 hours
Method: Colored slides
Settings: All below 50, see previous posts.

Blu-ray movie: Ironman 2 with black bars.
Duration: 1 Hour

Image retention via black bars were very feint compared to when I did not do a full break-in. The PS3 XMB screen created a very light and almost negligable imprint after leaving it on for 10 mins (Normal usage of the PS3 with XMB screen menu).

PS3 Game: Super Street Fighter 4 at 720p, screen setting to game with the following settings:
Contrast: 35
Brightness: 50
Color: 47
Sharpness: 30
Temp: = Normal

Very light image retention gathered, and washed away within just seconds by switching to a "snow" screen.

Image retention, however, gathers almost as quickly as an "unbroken-in" plasma for games when I switched my picture settings to their default values. Wherein contrast was set to 60 as opposed to break-in setting of below 50.

More later.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2011 at 03:31 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline lleggollazz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Plasma Break-in (1st impression done)
« Reply #53 on: Apr 08, 2011 at 09:38 PM »

Offline arnarn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 06:12 AM »
sir carlo, do we have an update or other findings regarding your experiment? would you still recommend breaking-in of plasmas?
43D450>>HT805PM>>Xtreamer>>2TB WD MyBook

Offline bewrong

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 07:04 AM »
curious about the results sir.

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #56 on: Jul 25, 2011 at 03:51 PM »
i did the break-in with my pana 42x20, my screen seems stable now (i think) , i dont experience noticeable IR anymore, i use my TV to play games most of the time, i stopped observing and caring about IR and just play games upto 5 hours a day (marvel vs capcom 3, mortal kombat, uncharted etc ), i sticked to cinema mode even after break-in for color accuracy and "depthy" gamma..

but.... i still use zoom to eliminate black bars in movies ( we dont want that uneven brightness later on )