Author Topic: MA or B&W for Music and HT.. And the winner is?  (Read 6588 times)

Offline xtian_lugz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MA or B&W for Music and HT.. And the winner is?
« on: Mar 10, 2012 at 08:18 PM »
Hi guy's which is better for HT? MA silver series or B&W 600 series? I'll start from scratch here. Though i auditioned both MA RX1 and B&W 685 but in stereo only so i don't have an idea for HT use. I tried looking from the gallery it looks like most people use MA than the B&W's for HT. In addition I love music more than movies, so most of the time it will be used for music listening. For the receiver depends on the speakers that I will choose so it won't be a problem. Thanks everyone.. :)
In God we trust!

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: MA or B&W for Music and HT.. And the winner is?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 08:29 PM »
Hi guy's which is better for HT? MA silver series or B&W 600 series? I'll start from scratch here. Though i auditioned both MA RX1 and B&W 685 but in stereo only so i don't have an idea for HT use. I tried looking from the gallery it looks like most people use MA than the B&W's for HT. In addition I love music more than movies, so most of the time it will be used for music listening. For the receiver depends on the speakers that I will choose so it won't be a problem. Thanks everyone.. :)

hard question  ???
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM »
Basically for me, there's no such thing as speakers that are good for HT or music. Probably kaya natin nasasabi yun because some of us are more critical sa music than HT or vice versa. In both music and HT scenario kasi, your speakers are required to produce the widest frequency range possible. So if you're more into music, get the speakers that's good for music according to your preference and it's good for HT as well. lalo na ngayon, sa advent ng digital auto calibration and tweaks, masmadali integrate ang so called "good for music" speakers sa HT.

just my dos centavos.

Offline xtian_lugz

• Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM »
hard question  ???

sorry bro for the confusion.. As what bro nelson commented is a good HT speakers also good for music. What i mean is a set of speakers good for HT and if i want to listen to music lipat k lng ung fronts ko to my stereo amp.. Again sorry guys sa confusion. I cant afford on buying another pair of dedicated speakers for music..
In God we trust!

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM »
this is what i observed and keeps me believed in..speakers are not only that matters wether your into movies alone or pure music guy.just enjoy what gears youv got.buy the gadget suits your taste log out at pdvd and dont look back ;D
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM »

Since you're more into music than HT and it will be used for that purpose most of the time, choose the one which sounded better to you when you auditioned them.

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM »
Since you're more into music than HT and it will be used for that purpose most of the time, choose the one which sounded better to you when you auditioned them.

Close your eyes when you listen to both brands then compare...but also take into account that when you open your eyes, the MA's will still look prettier. ;)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM »

In my own observation & opinion, speakers' sound dependent on the electronics connected to them. gaya ng nasabi sa naunang posts, speakers for HT can be easily integrated thru electronics calibration. For music there should have "synergy" of the whole system to get the sound character of your preference.  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM »
sorry bro for the confusion.. As what bro nelson commented is a good HT speakers also good for music. What i mean is a set of speakers good for HT and if i want to listen to music lipat k lng ung fronts ko to my stereo amp.. Again sorry guys sa confusion. I cant afford on buying another pair of dedicated speakers for music..

the only way to find the best all-around speaker is to audition it with different electronics using your favorite reference materials.  ;)   
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 01:02 AM »
i'd like to think na good for music equals good for HT. but the reverse is not always the case. personally kasi mas madali masatisfy yung HT needs ko than my music demands. i'm no audiophile naman and this is all just me...

on a side note, yung RX2 ang target ko for my stereo setup
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 at 01:03 AM by warmaster »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 01:13 AM »

For the benefit of the TS, both model are winners in either Music or HT use but of course they have their own strength & weaknesses that we have to live with it until we get the itch to try another flavor...  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 01:14 AM »
OT: alin mas mahal sa dalawa?
ninjababez online ..

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 09:12 AM »
OT: alin mas mahal sa dalawa?

mas mahal sir yung biggest center ng b&w 600 sa ma silver. pero mas mahal yung rx2 na bigbookshelf ng ma sa 685 ng b&w. but on this comparison, i'll go with an rx2 + rx center. i'm not impressed by the htm61 and it looks weird.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 at 09:14 AM by sientobente »

Offline xtian_lugz

• Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 09:35 AM »
this is what i observed and keeps me believed in..speakers are not only that matters wether your into movies alone or pure music guy.just enjoy what gears youv got.buy the gadget suits your taste log out at pdvd and dont look back ;D

I like the sound of this one..  ;D here in pdvd it's like a plague you see so much stuff and you want it all! Haha! :D I love this makes you want to drool.. I agree MA always looks better than the BW's. Sound wise for me i think the 685 is better compared to Rx1. Though the rx1 sounded more coherent, the 685 sounded good but i noticed somthing the tweeter does not blend in with the woofer have anyone noticed the same?
In God we trust!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM »
I like the sound of this one..  ;D here in pdvd it's like a plague you see so much stuff and you want it all! Haha! :D I love this makes you want to drool.. I agree MA always looks better than the BW's. Sound wise for me i think the 685 is better compared to Rx1. Though the rx1 sounded more coherent, the 685 sounded good but i noticed somthing the tweeter does not blend in with the woofer have anyone noticed the same?

I would tend to buy something that's good for my ears. Why? Because we're supposed to listen to the music or the dialog/effects that comes from the movies. If it's aesthetically pleasing but doesn't sound good to you, how we be "immersed" with the music or movie that we are watching. But then of course, ang next kalaban dito would be the WAF. Diyan naman papasok ang compromise. Sa HT, all my speakers are "hidden", meaning they are not visible. Hence, better immersion sa movie. Same is applied sa mga movie houses. Sa music listening naman, i tend to tone down the lights so as halos hindi ko makita ang gears ko, so i can concentrate more sa music.

As for good for HT and music,the only difference i could say, is that nowadays, the basic or "ideal" crossover point for the speakers sa HT is 80hz. So you would want to initially have a speaker that would reproduce at least 60hz, properly. But, there are also information/data sa speakers (F,C,R,SR) that are below 80hz. Some listeners, like me, wouldn't want to miss that. So, i chose speakers that are capable of reproducing at least, 50hz, smoothly.

Sa music, which IMHO, we would want to reproduce the broadest frequency range as possible. The usual limitations is that most speakers that can smoothly reproduce the lower frequency are expensive. Hence, jan naman papasok ang subwoofer/s, to accomodate the the lower freqs in which , our speakers are not capable of reproducing.

Priority preference na lang siguro. And since you normally listen to music, then by all means get the speakers that are good for music to your preference.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 06:41 PM »
I've only heard and got moved by B&W 805s power in a modest HT setup and   its been B&W since. the 805 is way out of my budget, I tried and really liked how the B&W CM1  fills the room and the clarity was just as superb and amazed it came from such a small form factor  it is an eye candy, but not as distracting as would a full sized FS)

I'd likely set this as a separate music setup or a Zone 2 audio from my main HT, but for the time being, it will stay on to serve as my HT fronts.

I've yet to hear an MA but I'm sure it is equally brilliant by specs,design and performance, i'm just sticking to B&W for a while.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline pert

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Great Danes!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2012 at 09:38 AM »
MA silver is better for music and HT :) B&W 600 series is also good but has to paired with a right amp(which amp? depends on how deep is your pocket :() I would go for MA anytime except that once I heard the dynaudios :o the rest are history ;D My vote still goes to MA amongst the two(MA vs B&W) Just my humble opinion :)

Offline kinsela

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2012 at 07:07 AM »
I'm Happy with my 685 purely for music, paired it with HK.
I agree with the previous post... then dont look back. ;)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2012 at 07:35 AM »
Jerryidol and i once A/B tested our 685 and RS1. our conclusion, preference lang. they went head to head pero. may kanya kanyang capabilities. then the dynes 42 arrived, its another story :b
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 07:54 PM »
I like the MA's rx2 better than the 685's but that is purely my preference. Of course for music i prefer the Harbeth Compact 7es3's ... Which as they say is a different story :D  ;D ;D

Offline xtian_lugz

• Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 08:26 PM »
I like the MA's rx2 better than the 685's but that is purely my preference. Of course for music i prefer the Harbeth Compact 7es3's ... Which as they say is a different story :D  ;D ;D

of course bro it's like comparing chocolate and $h!t... :D :D ;D peace..
In God we trust!

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM »
;D ;D ;D

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 01:52 AM »
blind taste test anyone?
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 02:00 AM »
Which one's chocolate?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM »
Which one's chocolate?
blind taste test anyone?
hirap yata i-blind taste test ito bro markrenz, unless takpan din ang ilong   ;D :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline xtian_lugz

• Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 01:10 PM »
Which one's chocolate?

Harbeth...  ;D
In God we trust!

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #26 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 02:24 PM »
hirap yata i-blind taste test ito bro markrenz, unless takpan din ang ilong   ;D :D
hahaha
natawa ako dito  ;)  ;)  ;)
hirap nga naman naamoy e
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #27 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 07:30 PM »
Harbeth...  ;D

Noka, Vosges, Charffen Berger or Chocnut?

Isn't Kopi Luwak also fecal matter?

Btw, why did you put something you consider as excrement in your list of options?
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012 at 07:42 PM by Stagea »

Offline jake052478

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012 at 09:47 AM »
Jerryidol and i once A/B tested our 685 and RS1. our conclusion, preference lang. they went head to head pero. may kanya kanyang capabilities. then the dynes 42 arrived, its another story :b

Like... :D
i wonder how do this speakers sound like... hmmmm.... anyone....

Offline Schrodinger's cat

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012 at 03:45 PM »

Eewww
RX2s and 685s are $h_t compared to harbeth? Chasm is that wide, eh?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012 at 04:02 PM by Precise Pangolin »