Author Topic: Soap Opera Effect  (Read 7830 times)

Offline skooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Soap Opera Effect
« on: Jul 08, 2012 at 10:06 PM »
Can i have a soap opera effect on my plasma screen? it seems i really like the software motion interpolation effect on an LED screen  ;D and can we have that in plasma? and if there is, i would like to know w/c plasma manufacturers implement this and their plasma model too. thank you.... ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2012 at 10:06 PM by skooter »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: Soap Opera Effect
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2012 at 11:31 PM »
Can i have a soap opera effect on my plasma screen?

Yes.

can we have that in plasma?

Yes.

and if there is, i would like to know w/c plasma manufacturers implement this

There are only 3 plasma manufacturers: Panasonic, Samsung and LG.  All of them have it on their higher-end models.

and their plasma model too.

Hindi naman ako ganong kasipag sumagot...  ;)

it seems i really like the software motion interpolation effect on an LED screen  

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy an LED with motion interpolation?

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2012 at 11:33 PM by barrister »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 03:34 AM »
Panasonic UT and ST series has frame interpolation.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:02 AM »
Yes.

Yes.

There are only 3 plasma manufacturers: Panasonic, Samsung and LG.  All of them have it on their higher-end models.

Hindi naman ako ganong kasipag sumagot...  ;)

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy an LED with motion interpolation?

Barrister, it tried to look-up in their brochure from those big three plasmas OEM and i can't find in their technical specs that says something about motion interpolation this of course refer to their high-end
plasma models.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:03 AM »
Panasonic UT and ST series has frame interpolation.

does it says in their techincal specs? btw the UT and the ST series are not their high-end models right?
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:04 AM by skooter »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:12 AM »
just find something from a panasonic USA website this is for the TC-P50ST30 model and it says that this model has "Smooth Film Images 24p Cinema Smoother" i think this is their motion interpolation?

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 11:53 AM by skooter »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 01:19 PM »
Panasonic plasmas used to call it the IFC (Intelligent Frame Creation).

In Panny's 2011 ("30" series): it's "Motion Smoother;" for 3D 24p sources, it's "3D 24p Cinema Smoother."

It's confusing because the manufacturers insist on using proprietary names instead of just saying "motion interpolation."  The effect is that various names are given by various websites, and even the official Panny site has errors.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 02:21 PM »
Panasonic plasmas used to call it the IFC (Intelligent Frame Creation).

In Panny's 2011 ("30" series): it's "Motion Smoother;" for 3D 24p sources, it's "3D 24p Cinema Smoother."

It's confusing because the manufacturers insist on using proprietary names instead of just saying "motion interpolation."  The effect is that various names are given by various websites, and even the official Panny site has errors.

Anyway, I think this tv will be my next upgrade this coming september. I'm just wondering can this Cinema Smoother works on video files(mkv etc..)? aside from a pure 24p sources such as a bluray material(disc).

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 04:06 PM »
Sir skooter, can you tell us why you prefer a plasma with motion interpolation, rather than an LED with motion interpolation?

I'm baffled, because plasma is for those who want the picture to look like the picture in the movie theater, to replicate as closely as possible what the director and other artists intended to produce.  If you want a soap opera effect, then you don't care about artistic intent.  And if you don't care about artistic intent, why bother with plasma?  Why not just buy an LED?    
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 04:08 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 06:16 PM »
Sir skooter, can you tell us why you prefer a plasma with motion interpolation, rather than an LED with motion interpolation?

I'm baffled, because plasma is for those who want the picture to look like the picture in the movie theater, to replicate as closely as possible what the director and other artists intended to produce.  If you want a soap opera effect, then you don't care about artistic intent.  And if you don't care about artistic intent, why bother with plasma?  Why not just buy an LED?    
i like plasma becoz of their deep black levels and able to produce excellent contrast and the price too it's not hurting me much. for an 80k php plasma i cud get all i want.. you know big screen and all the hot technologies that an LED could have.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 06:17 PM »

Agree!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 06:35 PM »
I like both the plasma image and the soap opera effect because I use a plasma as a full time, almighty, all-around, all-content, all-weather, all-day-night TV, and not as an HT monitor only.  Having both features is great for me para covered lahat ng types of HD contents available out there.  Soap opera look is just awesome for HD sports!   Too bad my 2010 plasma didnt have that feature yet.

But I've not actually seen the soap opera look on any plasma so now I'm itching to visit a store soonest to try.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 08:32 PM »
I like both the plasma image and the soap opera effect because I use a plasma as a full time, almighty, all-around, all-content, all-weather, all-day-night TV, and not as an HT monitor only.  Having both features is great for me para covered lahat ng types of HD contents available out there.  Soap opera look is just awesome for HD sports!   Too bad my 2010 plasma didnt have that feature yet.

But I've not actually seen the soap opera look on any plasma so now I'm itching to visit a store soonest to try.

Clondalkin me too im very curious how plasma image wud look in a motion interpolation. i think the resolution,contrast, color gamut and most of all the motion would be so very gorgeous to look at in a plasma screen. that's why i'm waiting a review for Panna's 51st30 from carlo777.  
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 08:33 PM by skooter »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 08:33 PM »
The first time I saw it, I told myself I ain't gonna get that kind of image to my movies,...
But it grows on you, in the end, I find the images really beautiful, very clear and real sharp...
I really do not know if plasma can actually go toe to toe with that feature over the LED,...
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:48 PM by ABCmotorparts »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 09:53 PM »
Clondalkin me too im very curious how plasma image wud look in a motion interpolation. i think the resolution,contrast, color gamut and most of all the motion would be so very gorgeous to look at in a plasma screen. that's why i'm waiting a review for Panna's 51st30 from carlo777.  

You can go to SnS and they have a Panasonic TH-P50ST30 displayed there with Frame Interpolation and 3D.   :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 09:55 PM »
i like plasma becoz of their deep black levels and able to produce excellent contrast and the price too it's not hurting me much. for an 80k php plasma i cud get all i want.. you know big screen and all the hot technologies that an LED could have.

That's new to me, but I can understand that point of view.  Ultimately, it's a matter of preference after all.

But be warned.  Motion interpolation tech is not perfect.  The processing can introduce artifacts such as tearing during motion. 

I like both the plasma image and the soap opera effect because I use a plasma as a full time, almighty, all-around, all-content, all-weather, all-day-night TV, and not as an HT monitor only.  Having both features is great for me para covered lahat ng types of HD contents available out there.  Soap opera look is just awesome for HD sports!   Too bad my 2010 plasma didnt have that feature yet.

Your TV is 42V20?  Di ba may IFC (Intellgient Frame Creation) yon?

To me, SOE can be good for sports, documentaries, and all other programs with 60fps native content.  But not for movies and other program material with 23.976fps or 24fps native content.

So it can also be good if your TV gave you the choice.

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:00 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:00 PM »
You can go to SnS and they have a Panasonic TH-P50ST30 displayed there with Frame Interpolation and 3D.   :)

the problem is that i'm from cebu hehehe...but my future 50st30 purchase will be at SnS, it's great to have an AV shop that has passion about this stuff to bad for us here in cebu we don't have that one. All the AV shops here are badoy(so to speak) and that includes SM and Ayala AV shops.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:03 PM »
sir barrister my current tv is a series 5 plasma(51inch.) circa 2011.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:11 PM »
I almost bought a 51 Samsung plasma last year.  Beautiful TV, but the brightness pop issue scared me off:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,134868.msg1523442.html#msg1523442

After the ever-reliable Carlo777 confirmed the issue, I didn't buy:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,134868.msg1525385.html#msg1525385
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:17 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:20 PM »

But be warned.  Motion interpolation tech is not perfect.  The processing can introduce artifacts such as tearing during motion.  

Yes i've seen that artifacts especially on a super fast scenes, one example a scene from TF3 Dark of the Moon and the tearing doesn't shows its head often and if it does the tearing is just so small(small footprint) but i'm seeing an LED screen specifically a bravia NX series and we all know how slow an LED panel is compare to a plasma panel. i would say this tearing artifacts due to interpolation technique will not happen in a plasma panel but it is just me.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:27 PM by skooter »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:24 PM »
I almost bought a 51 Samsung plasma last year.  Beautiful TV, but the brightness pop issue scared me off:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,134868.msg1523442.html#msg1523442

After the ever-reliable Carlo777 confirmed the issue, I didn't buy:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,134868.msg1525385.html#msg1525385

i don't have serious complains about this series 5 plasma circa 2011, its just that it doesn't have cool stuff for 2012 hehehe...

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 12:11 AM »
Yes i've seen that artifacts especially on a super fast scenes, one example a scene from TF3 Dark of the Moon and the tearing doesn't shows its head often and if it does the tearing is just so small(small footprint) but i'm seeing an LED screen specifically a bravia NX series and we all know how slow an LED panel is compare to a plasma panel. i would say this tearing artifacts due to interpolation technique will not happen in a plasma panel but it is just me.  ;D

In most cases the tearing is not caused by the panel, but the graphics engine not being able to keep up with the processing demand. As they field better processors and more efficient algorithms, this should eventually go away.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM by Stagea »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 08:11 AM »
IMO, the best SOE Ive seen is that of Sony's top of the line (Series 9 with the non-glossy screen).  That's very nicely implemented.

I havent tried my V2/V20's Intelligent Frame Creation feature.   Yun din ba yon?.  hehehe.  Yeah, aside from HD sports - documentaries, news programs and TV variety shows really look nice with SOE.  You can almost smell the foundation of the beautiful hosts.  hehehe

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 08:46 AM »
IMO, the best SOE Ive seen is that of Sony's top of the line (Series 9 with the non-glossy screen).  That's very nicely implemented.

I havent tried my V2/V20's Intelligent Frame Creation feature.   Yun din ba yon?.  hehehe.  Yeah, aside from HD sports - documentaries, news programs and TV variety shows really look nice with SOE.  You can almost smell the foundation of the beautiful hosts.  hehehe
hey Clondalkin do let me know whats it look like in a plasma panel ey? thanks..

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM »
These motion tricks for me are a hit and miss affair with more of a miss, it actually does more "harm" then good. Screen tearing is present and "HD smoothing" effects presents an unnatural picture.

The V20's (along with 2010 units) IFC is more subtle, the trend now is for plasma to really go after those spanky 120/240hz LCD/LEDS that produce these soapy pictures. During my reviews and when I watch my movies - I keep all enhancements "off". No vivid colors, no resolution enhancers, no hd smoothers, no IFC...The best I go with is vanilla 24p induced by the source (That brings a mild flicker but acceptable).

I'm still reviewing our new 3D plasma and will see if the advances in screen technology have corrected these quirks, even if they are minor improvements.

Though at days end, it's still a matter of preference.

Cheers!

The first time I saw it, I told myself I ain't gonna get that kind of image to my movies,...
But it grows on you, in the end, I find the images really beautiful, very clear and real sharp...
I really do not know if plasma can actually go toe to toe with that feature over the LED,...

So far LED's better=) The Sony models, certain Samsung and Sharp does them pretty well.

@barrister

Brader! How are you brader? What's your Tv now ;)

@Clondalkin

Brader! Thank you again for the Gundam game brader! I had a good Valentine's night because of you hehehe! If and when you're in the Philippines let's go out!

Sorry for the O.T. ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline jerkzerocool

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 01:13 PM »
I used to be a fan of motion interpolation, when i was still using my smaller lcd for movie watching i always play my mkv files using splash pro. Picture quality is excellent due to the soap opera effect, i didn't notice the tearing artifacts until i learned it from an article. After careful observation, i noticed the tearing that soe produces especially on fast moving scenes. Since then i stopped using splash pro and switched to xbmc.

When i got my 42st30 last month, i noticed that it has a motion interpolation feature which is turned on by default. I was actually surprised because i wasn't expecting that kind of feature in a plasma since normally its for high end lcd and led tv's. Normally i leave that feature turned on for local channels but for movie watching i switch off all enhancements. The natural look of the plasma is still way better thats why i leave all the enhancements turned off, thats the reason why i bought a plasma not led. At the end of the day i still depends on your preference :).

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 05:42 PM »
@barrister

Brader! How are you brader? What's your Tv now ;)

I'm still cool ...  ;)

Still the same TV, 50C10.  My next TV will be a Panny 50UT50 plasma (2012 model), as soon as it becomes available locally. 

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 07:54 PM »

I'm still cool ...  ;)

Still the same TV, 50C10.  My next TV will be a Panny 50UT50 plasma (2012 model), as soon as it becomes available locally. 

U.S model ata yan brader! That's the one with the 2500 Focused Field Drive(wondering how that will work)? Sana LED level na yung mga motion tricks nya!

I'm also excited about this model ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 09:55 PM »
The most popular 2012 Panny plasma in the US forums now is the 50ST50, because it's the model that gives you the most value.

The only reason why I want the next lower model (50UT50) is because it doesn't have the louvre filter, but the ST50 does.

That's the one with the 2500 Focused Field Drive(wondering how that will work)?

Somebody came up with a good guess:

Nobody knows for sure what Panny Plasma's "2500Hz Focused Field Drive" means.  It's Panny trade secret, and they've never clarified what it really is.  

So here's a good attempt at an explanation:

Panasonic 2012 Plasma - 2500Hz FFD Explanation Attempt

http://paytherant.tumblr.com/post/20057368974/panasonic-2012-plasma-2500hz-ffd-explanation-attempt

Sana LED level na yung mga motion tricks nya!

SOE has nothing to do with it.

It's about fitting the picture into a single .4ms sub-field, to get a 2500 Focus Field (1/.0004 sec.), to get crisper motion and more accurate colors.  

This is an important improvement for video enthusiasts.  It is not some circus gimmick like the SOE dog and pony show...  ;).  That's why I keep advising members to wait for the 2012 models instead of buying the 2011 models now.

U.S model ata yan brader!

No, the UT50 also comes in a Southeast Asian version.  In fact, Panny Singapore already has it:

http://www.panasonic.com.sg/wps/portal/home/products/digitalav/tv/vieraplasmatv/utseriesplasmatv

I'm also excited about this model ;)

You should get the VT50 ---- the 2012 shootout winner:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,19901.msg1656207.html#msg1656207

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM by barrister »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM »
@barrister

Excellently stated brader! I need to rob a bank again thanks to your advise ;)