Author Topic: The Truth About Component Video Cables  (Read 44929 times)

Offline acg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Truth About Component Video Cables
« Reply #30 on: Oct 14, 2002 at 07:41 AM »
thanks for the reply, qwerty765. is the solid copper wire coaxial sufficient enough for use as component video cable? or should it be a coax with stranded copper center wire? read somewhere on the net I think it was specs for Monster video component cable that video has higher frequency than audio that's why they use stranded wire for their cable. Is the solid wire good enough for component video use or will it create some kind of bottleneck? Sorry for asking these questions. I'm new to this audio video stuff and would like to learn more about it.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 12:05 PM »
RGB Component Cables that are 75 Ohm O2 free cables with 24K gold plated RCA plugs are now on sale at the ACE Hardware.(I believe any SM branch)

The 1.8m goes for Php 295.00...which was previously taggeg Php 499.75, a longer version(3m??)goes for Php395.00.

I was able to buy mine at the SM Fairview Branch. ;) ;D

Okey ba yung nabili mo? planning to buy one also.

thanks'

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #32 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 05:13 PM »
thanks for the reply, qwerty765. is the solid copper wire coaxial sufficient enough for use as component video cable? or should it be a coax with stranded copper center wire? read somewhere on the net I think it was specs for Monster video component cable that video has higher frequency than audio that's why they use stranded wire for their cable. Is the solid wire good enough for component video use or will it create some kind of bottleneck? Sorry for asking these questions. I'm new to this audio video stuff and would like to learn more about it.

Hello acg, it doesn't really matter whether its a solid or stranded copper center, for as long as the specs are the same, say 75 ohms.

I don't think there will be a bottleneck when you use a solid cable (kasi napakaliit na ng mga electrons para magsiksikan pa sila doon  ;) ).

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 16, 2002 at 03:21 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

can these cables still be used for the composite video inputs and output...for example sa vhs? better quality ba or hindi rin?

thanks.

Offline qwerty765

• Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 19, 2002 at 12:19 AM »
Theoretically speaking, gold tipped and if there is such a thing as a gold wire cable is better than an ordinary cable, since gold was said to be the best conductor. Whether our eyes will be keen enough to detect the changes is another story ( it may not be as dramatic as say, using composite connection as against component).

With regards to the impedance matching, if the specs say 75 ohms, then 75 ohms should be used, kung wala eh di ordinary cable would do.

Will it be better to use  component cables for composite? IMHO, I don't think so.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #35 on: Oct 19, 2002 at 10:28 PM »
Alfie,

got the RGB Component Video Cable from ACE Hardware today.  wasn't paying attention so I got the 12 feet kind!  didn't realize until i opened the packaging and found more cable than i needed. whew!

anyway, tried to compare the video resolution vis-a-vis  my previous composite video connection. even with only a 25" TV, the difference was noticeable.  am glad i decided to buy it ;D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2002 at 10:56 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Got this one also (the short one ;D) and installed it...

even on a 21" flat TV..video improvement is noticeable.

thanks!

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 08:43 AM »
Kelan kaya ako magkaka TV na may Component In..para magamit ko naman yung component out nang dvd ko
Walang Setup

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 10:57 AM »
Kelan kaya ako magkaka TV na may Component In..para magamit ko naman yung component out nang dvd ko

madali naman yan, bro. benta mo lahat ng dvd mo, sigurado, makakabili ka ng tv na may component video in...  ;D

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 12:35 PM »
kings,

ehehehehe....oo nga no...pero aanhin ko naman ang player ko kung walang DVD's ehehehe..
Walang Setup

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #40 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 02:09 PM »
I made a comparison between ordinary RCA cables and digital cables for the component video yesterday and I noticed that the "blacks" were darker on component video and the "reds" were more prominent.  With this change, I found the color very aggressive and more digital (ibig sabihin masyadong retokado) compared to the more natural (sa akin lang yun) using the simple RCA cables.

I used a DVD (Jaws 25th Anniversary Edition) for the video and I saw that the faces of actors Roy Schneider, Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss became redder.  Looks like they got sunburned and the picture became brighter.  Is this really a normal effect of using digital cables?  I didn't tinker with any of the video setting of the TV (the settings were all flat and unjusted aka factory setting).  I don't know if this is really natural or unnatural. In anyways, I lessened the color of the TV a bit to suit my viewing taste. Or...I might have been used to watching movies using simple RCA cables and that became my gold standard.  ???

As of now, if you guys suggest that I would choose that which suits my viewing taste, then I would choose the RCA cables over the digital one coz IMHO, this is the standard which my eyes are used to.  But on the other hand, maybe I'll just let my eyes get accustomed to the new cables so this can now be my gold standard.

I am confused at the moment...maybe I just need help or a little reassurance...guys?

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 05:48 PM »
For those people who prefer to make the cables by themselves, Belden RG49 is available at True Value....at least in Park Square Makati, where I bought some for my subwoofer connect.

Then again, if you want to save a few bucks, go to Deeco.  But the price difference ain't that big.  The advantage of going to Deeco is that you can also choose from a wide array of RCA plugs....from the cheap, to the gold plated, to the exotic.  

Making the cables isn't really difficult.  At the start, I asked a friend who was proficient in electronics work to help me out.  Before I knew it, I was soldering the plugs to the cable by myself using my trusty 30w soltering iron.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2002 at 11:08 PM »
I did a little adjustment on the personal settings of my TV using my "Home Theater Set-up Disc" as guide and voila, I am now enjoying the video quality of using digital component video cables! Hehe! ;D

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 27, 2002 at 08:04 PM »
sir qwerty765,

I'm a little confused.  

Is the Composite Cable that you refer to the manufacturer-issued single cable with three RCA plugs (red, white, and yellow) at each end that usually comes supplied with a DVD player?  Is this the one na maraming binibenta kahit sa bangketa ng Raon?

Thanks.

Offline qwerty765

• Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 27, 2002 at 10:48 PM »
Composite video is just a type of video connection, wherein you can use an ordinary RCA cable (yes, the one that is included when you buy a DVD player).

These cables are just ordinary RCA cables (available kahit saan), color coded lang para madaling i-connect. Same RCA cables sa VHS or VCD players, Yellow for video, White for left audio, and Red for right audio.

As always, if your TV have a component connection, then don't use the composite, para ma appreciate mo talaga yung DVDs.

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 02:31 PM »
Please pardon my ignorance sir qwerty765, but how do I find out if my tv is component connection capable?  Would these be the same sockets that are being used by the composite cables?  Would the component sockets also be color-coded?  (I have a four-year old 29 in Sony Kirara.)  A couple of years ago, I connected the dvd player (Philips DVD725) to the tv via the sockets at the tv's back via thick higher quality cables.  The connections have remained there since.  On the other hand, when I do get in the mood to watch VCD, I simply plug in my generic VCD player to the front red, white, and yellow sockets of the tv.  I realize that the VCD player-to-tv connection is composite.  But how do I determine whether the dvd player-to-tv is component or composite?

Again, I am truly sorry if I show my ignorance.  I apologize in advance.

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 03:20 PM »
sorry to butt in - but i just saw this and thought it might help you.

composite - single yellow jack for the video
s-video - single jack with multiple pins
component - 3 jacks colored red blue and green,

here's how your tv & dvd player should look like at the back in order to make use of a component connection
money is best spent

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 03:26 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Pre,

maybe I can help you out here.

composite connections are colored red, white and yellow.  

component connections are colored green, blue and red.

the quickest way to check is the green and blue color.  yun yung wala sa composite.  

hope this helps.

good luck.

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 05:07 PM »
i have a question myself.  my tv doesn't have these component video in socket, only s-video.  is this possible?  connect my dvd to amp/receiver via component...then, connect the monitor out of the amp/receiver to the tv via s-video.  will there be any improvements?  currently, i'm using standard rca video jack.  or will i just use the s-video cable all the way?

thanks.

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 06:46 PM »
Thank you very much iceman98a and M°RpHeÖuS.  I'll check out my connections tonight.

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 07:47 PM »
I've checked my connections.  I'm sad to learn that all my plugs are in either red, white, or yellow.....which means that I do not have component connecitons.  But I do have an S-video socket on my TV and dvd player.  Can I go along with Mickoh Ramos and remove the yellow video cable in lieu of an S-Video connection, while keeping the red and white cables in their original place?  Would Mickoh and I get better video that way?

On the other hand, aside from the yellow, white, and red, and I have a co-axial digital connection from my dvd player to my trusty old Yamaha.  Doesn't that serve the purpose of the component cable?
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2002 at 07:54 PM by groucho »

Offline qwerty765

• Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 09:59 PM »
groucho, Mickoh Ramos,

if your tv doesn't have component in, use the S-Video connection, I'll guarantee that you'll have a much improve video. If you noticed, a composite video connection are just two wires, the composite in, and the ground, whereas the S video connector has several pins (I forgot the names of the individual pins).

If you are familiar with SVHS, it uses S-Video, hence a better picture quality than ordinary VHS (aside of course, from the fact that SVHS is denser than ordinary VHS tapes).

Try hooking up the S-Video, it doesn't cost much (could go as cheap as P80.00), you'll see the difference (but of course, nothing beats the component connection).

Mickoh, just connect your DVD directly to your TV via S-Video, no need to connect it to your receiver tapos TV, magkakaron ka lang ng loss, buti sana if you have several inputs sa TV then its ok to connect them sa receiver for video management, pero kung DVD lang ang input mo just hook it directly.

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 10:28 PM »
Salamat, querty765.  I think I'll do that, go via S-Video cable that is.  I know it's been discussed in other threads before, but nakakaduda kasi ang S-Video cable na P80 lang.  Hindi ba 'yan katulad ng speaker wires, whereby the thicker the better?  I'll look around and see if there are other S-Video cables that appear sturdier.  Not that I want to get those "high-end" (read: expensive) branded SVCs.  Just something that is reasonable yet dependable.

Offline qwerty765

• Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 10:47 PM »
oo nga eh, I just saw that cable at SM appliance, post mo dito if you discover an S-Video cable that looks ok, I got mine from a Panasonic SVHS sa office (sshhh, dinekwat ko lang  ;) )

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 10:27 AM »
Salamat, querty765.  I think I'll do that, go via S-Video cable that is.  I know it's been discussed in other threads before, but nakakaduda kasi ang S-Video cable na P80 lang.  Hindi ba 'yan katulad ng speaker wires, whereby the thicker the better?  I'll look around and see if there are other S-Video cables that appear sturdier.  Not that I want to get those "high-end" (read: expensive) branded SVCs.  Just something that is reasonable yet dependable.

pre,

it doesn't always go na the thicker the better...usually standard lang ang thickness ng S-video cables.  To better know more about cables you can read the details of cables here in this SITE: BESTBUY.COM.  It's quite enlightening, so you would know more about connections.  

good luck. ;D

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 10:45 AM »
groucho, Mickoh Ramos,

if your tv doesn't have component in, use the S-Video connection, I'll guarantee that you'll have a much improve video. If you noticed, a composite video connection are just two wires, the composite in, and the ground, whereas the S video connector has several pins (I forgot the names of the individual pins).

If you are familiar with SVHS, it uses S-Video, hence a better picture quality than ordinary VHS (aside of course, from the fact that SVHS is denser than ordinary VHS tapes).

Try hooking up the S-Video, it doesn't cost much (could go as cheap as P80.00), you'll see the difference (but of course, nothing beats the component connection).

Mickoh, just connect your DVD directly to your TV via S-Video, no need to connect it to your receiver tapos TV, magkakaron ka lang ng loss, buti sana if you have several inputs sa TV then its ok to connect them sa receiver for video management, pero kung DVD lang ang input mo just hook it directly.

qwerty,
actually, i do have my dvd and vhs as inputs for my tv.  i wanted to manage it better sana by putting all video inputs to the amp/receiver and 1 output na lang from the amp/receiver to the tv.

back to my question, oks lang ba mag s-video all the way? (from dvd to amp/receiver to tv) or mag component ako sa dvd to amp/receiver then s-video sa amp/receiver to tv?

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 01:43 PM »
Mikoh,

Kung component from dvd to AVR dapat component din from AVR to TV
Walang Setup

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 01:53 PM »
Mikoh,

Kung component from dvd to AVR dapat component din from AVR to TV

Wala kasing component IN ang TV ko, so i guess, mag-S-video na lang ako all the way.  can anybody suggest where to buy s-video cables in makati?  i've been to true value and some audio-video shops in park square.  they don't have stock on hand.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 03:11 PM »
Bro,

Try mo sa Ace Hardware...dami nilang stock dun
Walang Setup

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 05:58 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

6ft na lang yung available which goes for P295.  yung 3 ft out of stock na.  been to three branches ng Ace so far wala talaga.  I hope you have better luck getting one.