Author Topic: The American Idol Thread  (Read 9945 times)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The American Idol Thread
« Reply #210 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 03:28 AM »
The final 12 has been chosen, so excited!!! ;)

ditto! IMO maraming "pasang-awa" from the 12... so they better bring themselves up a notch and start showing their stuff. or else... get eliminated!  :P

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 07:27 AM »
Who I like so far... ranked according to how I like them:

I'll put spoiler tags na lang kasi Final 12 na 'to there might be others who don't know the results yet....

1. La Toya - WOW! Wow, wow, wow. She chose the right song.
2. Diana - for a 16 year old, she performs like a pro
3. Camille ;D -  there's just something about her that I really like kahit iyakin
4. (tie) Fantasia - she can bring the house down pero she really does not need this competition
4. (tie) Pen Salesman -  ;D A weirdo likes me likes a weirdo
5. Leah - I see a pop star talaga
6. Amy - she can sing, she seems to be a fun friend. But she's not ending up #1 in this contest.
7. Jennifer - too powerful, too Lani/Jaya/Zsazsa for me. Parang I've seen it too many times.
8. Matt Rogers - I don't know why he got in.

I haven't seen George, Jasmine and the red-head kid's group yet so I don't know yet.  :)

By the way, of the WildCard who chose:

Jennifer? - I'm guessing Simon?
Jon Peter? - I'm guessing the voters?
George Huff? - I'm guessing Randy?
Leah? - I'm guessing Paula?

Pag ako sumali, kakantahin ko Evergreen. Wala lang. Feeling ko lang pang-contest ang dating and it's a winning piece if someone like La Toya sings it. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2004 at 07:29 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 09:58 AM »
grabe ang galing ni La Toya!!!!  imo she is much better than Fantasia

i like Leah, i just feel she has the potential

don't like Matt Rogers, feeling ko dapat si Lisa (sya nga ba yun, sa top 3 ng group 2) and nakapasok

i think Katie Webber should be a finalist.  ok naman yung performance nya sa group 1.  yeah...  i guess i am being biased since i find her pretty and sexy...   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2004 at 09:58 AM by dni »

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 10:01 AM »
sorry pero di ko alam ang schedule ng Charmed eh since i don't really wacth TV that much.  ;)

kelang nga ba so that i can record the AI Special Episode   ;D ;D

BTW, it was announced kanina that "charmed" will pre-empted by an AI special next week... any idea what THAT is? (yipee! three days of AI next week!)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 01:17 PM »
Who I like so far... ranked according to how I like them:

I'll put spoiler tags na lang kasi Final 12 na 'to there might be others who don't know the results yet....

[color=c0c0e0]
1. La Toya - WOW! Wow, wow, wow. She chose the right song.
2. Diana - for a 16 year old, she performs like a pro
3. Camille ;D -  there's just something about her that I really like kahit iyakin
4. (tie) Fantasia - she can bring the house down pero she really does not need this competition
4. (tie) Pen Salesman -  ;D A weirdo likes me likes a weirdo
5. Leah - I see a pop star talaga
6. Amy - she can sing, she seems to be a fun friend. But she's not ending up #1 in this contest.
7. Jennifer - too powerful, too Lani/Jaya/Zsazsa for me. Parang I've seen it too many times.
8. Matt Rogers - I don't know why he got in.

I haven't seen George, Jasmine and the red-head kid's group yet so I don't know yet.  :)

By the way, of the WildCard who chose:

Jennifer? - I'm guessing Simon?
Jon Peter? - I'm guessing the voters?
George Huff? - I'm guessing Randy?
Leah? - I'm guessing Paula?

[/color] Pag ako sumali, kakantahin ko Evergreen. Wala lang. Feeling ko lang pang-contest ang dating and it's a winning piece if someone like La Toya sings it. ;D

cruzack,

heres how the wildcard results were chosen:

jon peter - audience vote
jennifer - randy
leah - paula
george - simon

dni... charmed is usually on wednesdays at 8pm... so the spcial will air wednesday next week. didn't you see the sched on the screen as ryan was announcing it?  ;D

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 01:32 PM »
I like Leah, too. She looks great, she has range and, at 17, she's got a lot of time to refine her technique (Or mend the rip on her dress, as Simon would say). She may not be perfect idol material now, but I think somewhere down the road...

Jon Peter has a really strange voice. If I hadn't know "Tiny Dancer" already, I wouldn't have understood a word he sang. I suppose his Wildcard performance was much better.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2004 at 01:34 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 01:47 PM »
I like Leah, too. She looks great, she has range and, at 17, she's got a lot of time to refine her technique (Or mend the rip on her dress, as Simon would say). She may not be perfect idol material now, but I think somewhere down the road...

Jon Peter has a really strange voice. If I hadn't know "Tiny Dancer" already, I wouldn't have understood a word he sang. I suppose his Wildcard performance was much better.

your comment made me think of dave matthews... nobody could understand a word dave sings as well and yet he's a major recording artist in the US. ::) i think jon peter's very talented and has a great sense of musicality ... he just doesn't fit the mold we usually associate to a pop star (the justins and the britneys). i like him a lot tho. i don't think "not undertanding what he's saying" will be a hindrance. he's just so likeable.  ;D

leah needs a lot of work (doesn't she remind you of a duskier elisha cuthbert??) ... BTW, if you reach the final 12 for one year and not win... can you join all over again? i think it'd be a shame if you can't. 'cause this girl deserves a second chance at this if she doesn't make it.  :-X
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2004 at 01:52 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 02:03 PM »
your comment made me think of dave matthews... nobody could understand a word dave sings as well and yet he's a major recording artist in the US.  i think jon peter's very talented and has a great sense of musicality ... he just doesn't fit the mold we usually associate to a pop star (the justins and the britneys). i like him a lot tho. i don't think "not undertanding what he's saying" will be a hindrance. he's just so likeable.  

Totally agree. His pen salesman gimmick really worked on the audience and judges. I probably didn't feel that the song was appropriate for his style.

Funny, was looking at the finalist profiles on idolonfox.com, and most of them like Beyonce and Justin Timberlake. Recipe for success?  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2004 at 02:09 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Mar 13, 2004 at 01:59 AM »
Totally agree. His pen salesman gimmick really worked on the audience and judges. I probably didn't feel that the song was appropriate for his style.

Funny, was looking at the finalist profiles on idolonfox.com, and most of them like Beyonce and Justin Timberlake. Recipe for success?  ;D

well... we have simon to thank for the "pen salesman" gimmick... and jon is squeeeeezing it down to the last drop. good for him. i'm hoping jon will be the "clay" of this season... the fledging star that develops as an artist while the season progresses.  ;D

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Mar 13, 2004 at 02:12 AM »
i think i missed it   ;D ;D  hehe

3 days of AI next week!!  yahoo!!   ;D ;D

dni... charmed is usually on wednesdays at 8pm... so the spcial will air wednesday next week. didn't you see the sched on the screen as ryan was announcing it?  ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Mar 13, 2004 at 04:27 AM »
well... we have simon to thank for the "pen salesman" gimmick... and jon is squeeeeezing it down to the last drop. good for him. i'm hoping jon will be the "clay" of this season... the fledging star that develops as an artist while the season progresses.  ;D

Yes !

If I have to choose now who my top four will be,  they will be Fantasia (voice talent, stage presence, performance) , Matt Rogers (charismatic jock that's ready to cry in a minute, charming, nice voice as well) , Jon Peter Lewis (totally underdog but with good voice,  risk taker,  an idol for an everyday man)  and George Huff (good range but sadly lacks the appeal required for an idol) .

La Toya has great voice. As good as she is, she's not going to win.  First, nothing distinct about her voice, which gives Fantasia and George a lot of edge.  I can't see her singing an upbeat song. If she sings something light, I am afraid she will come off as ordinary because she won't be able to showcase her range ... which bodes pretty well for Fantasia and George (Something To Talk About and Lean on Me aren't really songs to showcase your vocal range but worked wonderfully for them).  

Jennifer Hudson could be tricky. I liked her rendition of Imagine ... and thought her version was really good. I am not so impressed with her I Believe In You and Me version. I think anyone who does a Whitney Houston song will suffer in comparison.

Camille Velasco, if she comes back singing some lame song and not show her edge, she's gonna get booted early on ... and tears will flood the studio.

Jasmine Trias has a sweet, innocent image. It could work really well for her. Not a bad voice either ... but I haven't seen her range yet.  Both she and Camille are vulnerable to voters not into Asians. They better start singing their ass off.

The other two .. deGarmo (tama  ba ? ) and the rat packer, I couldn't care less. She is good .. but I think there's enough blonde idols already, we really don't need one. And his weakness is picking the right song that will fit his voice. How many Sinatra-style songs can he sing ? It will get tired.

The others ? They don't have to show up, I don't care.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Mar 13, 2004 at 04:55 AM »
LOL. lemme just say... jon peter lewis just CRACKS ME UP!  ;D

i was LMAO when he and ryan got into that whole discussion about randy's comment to jon... when jon replied: "i'm not quite sure i want randy 'feelin' me..." i lost it! mwa ha ha ha!

;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2004 at 04:56 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Mar 13, 2004 at 09:24 AM »
LOL. lemme just say... jon peter lewis just CRACKS ME UP!  ;D

i was LMAO when he and ryan got into that whole discussion about randy's comment to jon... when jon replied: "i'm not quite sure i want randy 'feelin' me..." i lost it! mwa ha ha ha!

;D ;D ;D ;D

yup...  the pen dude rules!!!  he may not have the best pipes among the final 12 (and that in itself is an understatement), mas entertaining pa rin sya dun sa iba!  sana mag-trip yung mga us viewers and keep on voting for him... hehehe...  pero i'm still hoping the two pinays get far...
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline MiniCooper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 10:55 AM »
US based folks,

Camille Velasco and Jasmine Trias needs your vote tonight...

Offline TSGarp

• Collector
  • Doh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 11:00 AM »
I'ved just voted for number 11  ;)

Offline MiniCooper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 11:07 AM »
vote for number 4 also.   ;D

Offline TSGarp

• Collector
  • Doh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 11:48 AM »
vote for number 4 also.   ;D

ok, pero medyo kabado siya tonight,pre

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 11:49 AM »
anyway the uncut, untalented show is on tonight at 8.00 sa star world

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 11:57 AM »
I wouldn't vote for Camille. I wouldn't be surprised if she's the last tomorrow. That was a pathetic performance. She didn't earn my vote. If she gets eliminated, she deserves it.  She was the only one on the stage who appeared to be not happy to be there. It wasn't even the song, it was her. Lost opportunity. I guess she could always go home and land a record deal in Manila.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 12:05 PM »
or sing on ASAP or SOP every sunday afternoons.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 02:18 PM »
I wouldn't vote for Camille. I wouldn't be surprised if she's the last tomorrow. That was a pathetic performance. She didn't earn my vote. If she gets eliminated, she deserves it.  She was the only one on the stage who appeared to be not happy to be there. It wasn't even the song, it was her. Lost opportunity. I guess she could always go home and land a record deal in Manila.

that is sooooooo sad.  :'(

i guess this means she blew it.  :-\

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
Camille was okay tonight. Better than some of the other contestants. But Simon was right in saying she's not just nervous but petrified.

I hit that redial button after voting more than a few times. That ought to make up for kakabanas' vote.  ;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 04:17 PM »
Spoiler....just a bit.... :)

I was reading the other forums, Simon compared Camille to La Toya, the latter being calm and collected while Camille wasn't.  Performance wise, some said she did well naman. But in the official AI forum, a lot of them don't like her mostly because she isn't "American". :-\ We'll know two/three weeks from now how good/bad she really was.

But for tonight, I'll see Will Hung again! He bangs!

Offline aklan4ever

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 10:12 PM »
So it was a big mistake for Camille to start her intro portion by saying I'm half Filipino?  ???

The other supposed to be pinay Jasmine never once mentioned Filipino or Philippines in her intro.  :(

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 10:29 PM »
i know it is bad to laugh at other people but i had quite a lot of "laughs" watching the UNCENSORED show tonight  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2004 at 10:29 PM by dni »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 10:32 PM »
So it was a big mistake for Camille to start her intro portion by saying I'm half Filipino?  ???

The other supposed to be pinay Jasmine never once mentioned Filipino or Philippines in her intro.  :(

I don't think her nationality matters.  The performance was just forgettable. No doubt she has a good,  unique, husky voice and can reach some high notes ... but when you're in a contest and everyone was trying their best to sing their lungs out, you should too.  Better to be judged as oversinging than look like not trying at all.  I like that Dusty Springfield song. The way she sang it and her performance left nothing to be desired.  Sorry.

Jasmine mentioned in her bio at the AI website that she owns a Filipino soap opera cd or soundtrack.  So, there's really no excuse for Camile.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Mar 18, 2004 at 12:48 AM »
Army Girl rules! I knew it knew it knew it. She could have taught that horrendous Group 2 a lesson or two. And that "America the Beautiful" Hightower fellow was pretty good... I think he can make it in Broadway if he isn't there yet.

Have to give credit to the producers for having William sing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" at the end, instead of "She Bangs." The latter's getting old na.

Spoiler....just a bit.... :)

But in the official AI forum, a lot of them don't like her mostly because she isn't "American". :-\

I wonder what those people consider "American" or "America" to be. White? Black? A statement like that is just pure racism, thinly veiled with political correctness.

Too bad about Camille. I have to admit that, out of the finalists I've seen, her performance impressed me the least, but I really really see the potential.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2004 at 12:50 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #237 on: Mar 18, 2004 at 12:53 AM »
"American Idol in Hawai'iiiiii... Mahalo Lui Loa for this opportunity..."  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2004 at 12:55 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Mar 18, 2004 at 04:08 AM »
"big girl in hawaii" is a marketing nightmare.... she's definitely got the pipes (i love her tone! effortless ang pagkanta.) and has a folksy kind of quality to it. but how will she be packaged to sell records..... hmmmmm.  ;)

"army girl"... wow! very talented ... and she's actually pretty hot underneath all that fatigue and khaki... next year she should leave the unform at home. and cook the judges a meal as gimmick. LOL.  ;)

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Mar 18, 2004 at 10:36 AM »
i would have to agree with kakabanas regarding camille....  her performance last night was just sad...  and not sad in a good way  :)...  but jasmine's performance was really good... and i'm not just saying that cause i'm biased.... hehehe...  but the person who got voted out (hehe survivor term yun ah) this week didn't even deserve to be in the top 12 in my opinion...   just my .02...
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2004 at 10:37 AM by kings5504 »
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!