Author Topic: rec. out to be used as a main out?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Zitr0

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
rec. out to be used as a main out?
« on: Jun 28, 2006 at 12:23 AM »
 hi guy's,

I was just wondering if anybody had ever used and integrated amp as a pre amp?
Ths is btw an integrated amp w/ no main output... meaning you will be using the "rec out" section to connect to a power amp.

Is this something possible? Or will i just be creating damage to the integrated amp or even the power amp?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2006 at 01:02 AM by ric999 »
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: rec. out to be used as a main out?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 05:20 AM »
hi guy's,

Ths is btw an integrated amp w/ no main output... meaning you will be using the "rec out" section to connect to a power amp.

Is this something possible? Or will i just be creating damage to the integrated amp or even the power amp?

Thanks.

if you are using a solid state int amp then there won't be any problems with it's amp section being operated without a load (meaning no speaker connected) unlike a tube amp that needs a load when operated. and yes it is very possible.

cheers

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 05:32 AM »
Thanks jojo,

I am actually planning of purchasing an integrated amp but wasnt sure of its power is sufficent as for my taste so i was also planning on buying a separate SS amp to power the speakers just incase. problem is the amp dosent have any main outs just a rec. out from the tape in-out section and i just dont know if this is something possible. so if if this is possible then i guess there would'nt be any problems right.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 05:34 AM »
The rec out can be used, but you wont be able to use the Volume control of the amplifier. 

Since you have not bought anything yet, why not buy the right amplifier with the right amount of power.

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 05:41 AM »
hi qguy,

Im actually, im planning of buying kokoys HK 670 stereo ing/amp this weekend, a fellow pinoyDVD friend. 75W/ch, high current, to be used with my BW 602's. I know this has enough power already for the 602's, i was just being cautious of the upgrade bug if ever it will hit me in the future...  :)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 10:06 AM »
hi guy's,

Thanks.

of course you can, only this is a line level output without volume and tone controls...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 01:51 PM »
hi qguy,

Im actually, im planning of buying kokoys HK 670 stereo ing/amp this weekend, a fellow pinoyDVD friend. 75W/ch, high current, to be used with my BW 602's. I know this has enough power already for the 602's, i was just being cautious of the upgrade bug if ever it will hit me in the future...  :)

A 75w RMS HK is FTC rated so it is quite powerful enough.  Bear in mind that in most typical rooms of 9sqm to 16sqm, you'd hardly pass 7 watts RMS per channel in stereo (peaking at 15watts) for a loud but comfortable level with most commercial speakers out there.   Do you like to listen at loud volumes?  And what's your room area?

If the HK doesn't have a pre-out (not main out) to be mated to another POWER amplifier, then using its tape loop REC OUT will just waste the entire gear.  That's because the REC OUT is just a passive extension of your input sources and would not even make use of the integrated's preamp section.  And becuase this is a high impedance line level signal, you need another preamp to drive a power amp.  SO another integrated is needed.  YOu could ofcourse mate the REC OUT to a power amp directly, but you'd have no way of controlling its volume, unless the power amp has an input level control which is rare.  Or your source players have their respective output level control.  And with some sources, the signal is not enough to drive your power amp to its full potential.   Pre-outs already have some gain and are often in the 1 volt to 1.5 volt peak to peak levels needed to drive the power amp to its rated power.  Line level inputs often have just a fraction of that.  (Though some CD players do have 1 volt output signals enough to drive a power amp directly.)

But the suggestion above is worth considering.  Better start with the gear with the right power for your room and your listening preferrences.   And if at this point you are already anticipating a need for greater power, you might as well start with one with the highest possible power you can afford. 

Offline macmac09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 07:22 AM »
*A 75w RMS HK is FTC rated so it is quite powerful enough.  Bear in mind that in most typical rooms of 9sqm to 16sqm, you'd hardly pass 7 watts RMS per channel in stereo (peaking at 15watts) for a loud but comfortable level with most commercial speakers out there.   Do you like to listen at loud volumes?  And what's your room area?*

i am also about to buy an integrated amp, my room is exactly 16sq meters, wat would be the difference of a 40 watts amp to a 70 watts amp? in terms of bass_? i know the 70watts amp would be a few db louder. pero at normal listening volumes would a 40w amp and a 70 w amp sound the same?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 10:15 AM »
given the same setup, meaning same speakers and signal source, a 40watt amp will sound the same as a 70watt amp  in terms of percieved loudness. after all the amplifier is just one of the links in your audio chain.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
i read somewhere that our ears are logaritmic, so to double what you hear from a 40W amp you'll need to use a 400W amp.  :o

i agree, perceived loudness may not be too distinct but I bet that the higher power has better handling when you increase the volume.

:)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 11:28 AM »
If you are listening only at 10watts per channel, both the 40wpc and 70wpc amp will sound the same, all other specs being equal.  But if you are at the 30watt level or thereabouts, you'd appreciate a 70wpc better since your signals would still be quite far from clipping distortions. 
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2006 at 11:30 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:15 AM »
call that headroom, that is why i will still go for a 200watt amp, even if most of the time i am  listening at 1 to 2 watts levels... ;D