Author Topic: speaker wires  (Read 105759 times)

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: speaker wires
« Reply #180 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 10:06 AM »
Sa mga wires, ano usually ang gamit banana or spades?

- amplifer/receiver side, ano ang common na ginagamit?
- speaker side, ano ang common na ginagamit?

some amps can take both spade and banana plugs
most receivers can only take bananas

speakers can usually take both

it's recommended to use bare wire - but good luck with that with receiver binding posts :D
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 10:58 AM »
To confirm if the thicker wire contributed to your better sound quality, try to do a blind test.  Ask somebody to do the wire switching for you and listen carefully to same audio material each time the wires are switched from thick to thin.  You should not know which wire is being used for each listening test to avoid biased perception of sound quality improvement.

pwede but honestly am kinda lazy to do that anymore :)  I'd much rather enjoy my quality time with my HT and watch DVDs or play audio Cd ;D

Offline magnum5

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #182 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 11:04 AM »
...help...how come my speaker wires  tend to get loose ore nag se-setting pa lang..i installed a new set of wires ga.14 but alomost after two or three movies i can still turn the knob...thanks

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 11:44 AM »
i have a noob question about this, if per say you are using HTIB's which have specific connector (eg panny 465 and sony 170k) how can you go about replacing your stock wires?

Can these connectors be purchased individually? or do you need to DIY it?

Thansk!  ;D

Offline taurus_cute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 12:24 PM »
MONSTER THX 16-Gauge speaker cable will do you right. At P50 per feet, you're getting a worry-free product - no potential fuss for upgrade for the next 25 years, at the most. Many would raised a ruckus over Monster's profiteering pricing policy (before) but at least for speaker wires you do get quality in exchange for your bucks - only that the "proven performance" of these things cannot be measured qualifiably through physics alone. For me, a left-ear deaf tinnitus victim, using Monster to replaced all my no-name speaker wiring, delivered a more bouncy, full-bodied sound.

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #185 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 03:02 PM »
...help...how come my speaker wires  tend to get loose ore nag se-setting pa lang..i installed a new set of wires ga.14 but alomost after two or three movies i can still turn the knob...thanks

same here... maybe due to speaker box vibration... you have to tighten again... after a few routines it will not move much

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 04:37 PM »
is it necessary ba to raise the speaker wires off the ground for better sound quality??

yung floor kasi is parang parquet floor ......

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #187 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 11:41 PM »
after installing the gauge #12 speaker wires ... nag improve ang tone quality ng speakers ko. medyo spacious na ang imaging at instrument sa background ay lumalabas na with better clarity .... infact it sound smoother and with bit more body than before .....

ive been playing alot of CD that I have listened to before .... even my dormmate agrees there is positive improvement with the wire upgrade

I cannot confirm if going to thicker speaker cable has anything to do with it ..... kasi it may also be a case of my previous wires being of lower copper purity (inspite na OFC naka label .... hey we are in Philippines) than this current wire am using kaya may ganitong improvement ....

just cleaning or cutting the old ends of the wires and using the same wire will improve the sound, especially on very old connections. it has a lot to do with getting fresh contacts between the wires and the connected equipment. but if you have the dough to spare it will really improve using better wires. imho there is no need for those very expensive wires, just veer away from those loosely packed strands and undersized wires.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #188 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 02:58 AM »
is it necessary ba to raise the speaker wires off the ground for better sound quality??

yung floor kasi is parang parquet floor ......

mine are not raised... just laid freely on concrete floor .. bare wires directly connected to amp and speakers

i mind more the source, pre & power amps and very good transducers

overall SQ is pleasing enough for an enhanced music enjoyment ;)

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 07:09 AM »
just cleaning or cutting the old ends of the wires and using the same wire will improve the sound, especially on very old connections. it has a lot to do with getting fresh contacts between the wires and the connected equipment. but if you have the dough to spare it will really improve using better wires. imho there is no need for those very expensive wires, just veer away from those loosely packed strands and undersized wires.

thanks .... the old wires are just about a month plus old. at first tingin ko undersized pero when i compared a standard #16 wire parang halos parehas .....

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 07:12 AM »
mine are not raised... just laid freely on concrete floor .. bare wires directly connected to amp and speakers

i mind more the source, pre & power amps and very good transducers

overall SQ is pleasing enough for an enhanced music enjoyment ;)

thanks ..... i just use old tissue paper core and cut it to about 1-1/4" height ..... :)

didn't notice any difference....

Offline magnum5

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #191 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 12:40 PM »
same here... maybe due to speaker box vibration... you have to tighten again... after a few routines it will not move much

....thank you very much sir....

Offline piggyback

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2009 at 07:46 PM »
i just bought a speaker cable awg12 for 85pesos/meter, is it worth it?

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2009 at 07:49 PM »
i just bought a speaker cable awg12 for 85pesos/meter, is it worth it?

it looks very nice but pic is too dark to see the overall cable dia.... ::)  ::)  ::) anong brand po ba ito?...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline piggyback

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2009 at 08:05 PM »

it looks very nice but pic is too dark to see the overall cable dia.... ::)  ::)  ::) anong brand po ba ito?...  ;D

better pic.. i'd confirm bout the brand.. so far this is what i have.. what do you guys think?

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2009 at 09:33 PM »
better pic.. i'd confirm bout the brand.. so far this is what i have.. what do you guys think?

for the price, you can't go wrong with it... and looks like wires were silver plated which has better signal transmission than copper...  :o  :o  :o

it is already connected? what's your initial impression?...  :o  :D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline piggyback

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2009 at 09:44 PM »
for the price, you can't go wrong with it... and looks like wires were silver plated which has better signal transmission than copper...  :o  :o  :o

it is already connected? what's your initial impression?...  :o  :D

from the looks of it, i think one side is purely copper, and the other side is purely silver plated.. i have a sample of another one which is mix copper and silver.. which would you gurus recommend? i haven't connected/tested any of them yet :)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2009 at 09:56 PM »
from the looks of it, i think one side is purely copper, and the other side is purely silver plated.. i have a sample of another one which is mix copper and silver.. which would you gurus recommend? i haven't connected/tested any of them yet :)

in my observations, both have different materials used and also have different configuration that may affect the sound character...  :o  :o  :o Even I, I can't decide.. looks could be deceiving...  ::)  ::) ::)

I would suggest to try both since you have them in your hands and let your system & your ears decide...  ::)  ::)  ::)

I have already my personal choice but won't tell you that might influence your disession...  ;D  ;D  ;D
(gusto ko ring subukan kung tama ang pinili ko..) .. ;D  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline piggyback

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM »
in my observations, both have different materials used and also have different configuration that may affect the sound character...  :o  :o  :o Even I, I can't decide.. looks could be deceiving...  ::)  ::) ::)

I would suggest to try both since you have them in your hands and let your system & your ears decide...  ::)  ::)  ::)

I have already my personal choice but won't tell you that might influence your disession...  ;D  ;D  ;D
(gusto ko ring subukan kung tama ang pinili ko..) .. ;D  ;D  ;D

tama ka jan looks can be deceiving talaga.. anyways thanks for your input.. ill keep you guys posted :)

Offline gob

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2009 at 09:55 PM »
hi just got 2 meters speaker cable from spectra, forgot the brand but it has print on the cable "high definition OFC" 11awg & tested & satisfied naman with the result.  Will be using this for 2 channel audio only.

ask ko lang if anybody used 9awg (2 meters) for 2 channel audio? your listening impression? would it sound better than 11awg?

thanks
:D

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2009 at 09:59 PM »
hi just got 2 meters speaker cable from spectra, forgot the brand but it has print on the cable "high definition OFC" 11awg & tested & satisfied naman with the result.  Will be using this for 2 channel audio only.

ask ko lang if anybody used 9awg (2 meters) for 2 channel audio? your listening impression? would it sound better than 11awg?

thanks

IMHO, you'll get a difference if you another materials & configuration but if same cable brand...  try to experiment...  ::)  ::)   ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:08 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #201 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 05:33 PM »
guys, is it ok to just attach a spare wire if the original one comes up short? I have 2 specific questions for this.

1. I'm assuming it's ok if it's the same brand and the same guage. how about if its a different brand but with the same guage? or one is twisted and the other one is not.

2. Will it have any sonic impact? Or might it damage the speakers or amp?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #202 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 05:43 PM »
correct me if I am wrong.......if you are splicing old and new wires to achieve the desired length, it is not advisable. 

guys, is it ok to just attach a spare wire if the original one comes up short? I have 2 specific questions for this.

1. I'm assuming it's ok if it's the same brand and the same guage. how about if its a different brand but with the same guage? or one is twisted and the other one is not.

2. Will it have any sonic impact? Or might it damage the speakers or amp?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:04 PM »
correct me if I am wrong.......if you are splicing old and new wires to achieve the desired length, it is not advisable. 

actually the wires come from the same roll when i purchased it. I'm going to use it for the surrounds. I thought it would be better to use the spare i have lying around when i originally cut it than purchase a brand new 80ft wire. why is it not advisable bro?

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:21 PM »
actually the wires come from the same roll when i purchased it. I'm going to use it for the surrounds. I thought it would be better to use the spare i have lying around when i originally cut it than purchase a brand new 80ft wire. why is it not advisable bro?

i've done this myself.  make sure to stagger the splicing.
it won't break your speaker.

but if you are going to put this into conduits - dapat no splicing talaga sa pipes.
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:42 PM »
i've done this myself.  make sure to stagger the splicing.
it won't break your speaker.

but if you are going to put this into conduits - dapat no splicing talaga sa pipes.

haha. thanks mike. although i lost you at stagger, conduits and pipes. i'll google the definitions na lang.  ;D

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #206 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:46 PM »
haha. thanks mike. although i lost you at stagger, conduits and pipes. i'll google the definitions na lang.  ;D
stagger - di dapat pantay ang putol ng one wire with the other. at least half inch. para in case matanggal ang ibinalot na electrical tape di pa rin magso-short yung positive sa negative.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:51 PM »
stagger - di dapat pantay ang putol ng one wire with the other. at least half inch. para in case matanggal ang ibinalot na electrical tape di pa rin magso-short yung positive sa negative.

got it! thanks markcrenz  :)

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 07:25 PM »

basically, kung papasok sa wall/ceiling ... don't splice.

stagger means hindi:
---0---
---0---
ang splice ng wire but...

--0--------
-------0---

edit: naunahan ako ni sir markcrenz
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 07:26 PM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 08:08 PM »
basically, kung papasok sa wall/ceiling ... don't splice.

stagger means hindi:
---0---
---0---
ang splice ng wire but...

--0--------
-------0---

edit: naunahan ako ni sir markcrenz

no worries, ayos din diagram mo for those who cannot visualize the explanation made by markcrenz. many many thanks!