Author Topic: NextBase NB-656 Sexy Slim Sportish White DivX Player Owner's Thread  (Read 25790 times)

Offline TimSavvy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Player Enthusiast :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I finally decided to return my Fukuda 881 (noisy fan only during boot up) to Anson's Galleria to have it repaired last Nov and took it took them more than a month and still no news if it was repaired or not and offered me to pick another DVD player of my choice.

To cut the long story short it took me over an hour to choose NextBase NB-656 (the tiny white DiVX player) and added P300 (Fukuda orig price is 3,399 and NB-656 is 3,999).

I brought 4 different DivX DVDs I burnt and all of them ran smoothly.  In fact, it loads way faster than my Fukuda and switching thru tracks was a breeze.  The remote's VERY responsive (not to mention that it GLOWS-IN-THE-DARK!!) Very innovative feature of NextBase especially if you hate to stand up to turn on the lights whenever you want to use the remote or simply look for the remote while the lights are closed.
It can play all the DivX that wouldn't run in my Fukuda (QPEL incompatibilities).

It's aesthetically one of the best looking Semi-Portable DivX/DVD Player in the market.  Super small/slim sportish white color.

It's relatively new and can't put in any in-dept reviews yet.  Since this is an owner's thread, I'm inviting all owners (or at least whoever tried using/testing the unit) to put in their reviews here.
Will try to post a couple of pictures as soon as I learn how to post pictures here at PinoyDVD.
:D
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2006 at 11:18 AM by kenzo823 »

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Btw, while waiting & hoping for my Fukuda to be repaired, I also purchased a Pioneer 383S DivX Player for our living room.  Luckily they decided to replace my Fukuda with whatever was available and now, I'm testing it in my room where my old Fukuda 881 used to sit.

I have more space now.  Eye candy to look at! =)

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
No one else here owns this type of DivX Player?

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
sir pwede mo ba mapost ang review mo sa nextbase-656? di ba sya madaling mag overheat and di rin ba namimili ng dvds? ive read kc na yung bagong models ng nextbase madaling uminit at namimili na..tnx in advance!
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline larstar

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
sir pwede mo ba mapost ang review mo sa nextbase-656? di ba sya madaling mag overheat and di rin ba namimili ng dvds? ive read kc na yung bagong models ng nextbase madaling uminit at namimili na..tnx in advance!

hindi sya madaling mag-init at di namimili ng dvds...

Offline JorelJ

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
No built-in DTS Decoder I suppose?

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
No built-in DTS Decoder I suppose?

Basing from this pic, it has. 

The output that seems to be missing is the  coaxial  digital audio out.  or is it the one on top of ths s-video out?

Owners can you please clarify on this. TIA

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
Looks nice from the back, but may we request a picture of the player's front, top etc.? Thanks. :)

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Looks nice from the back, but may we request a picture of the player's front, top etc.? Thanks. :)

sir nasa nextbase thread sya.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42291.1640

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
I think I read "co-axial" somewhere at the back.  Too lazy to check since it's already "set" on my table already.

I tortured test it for 48 hours (continously playing entire seasons of Star Trek TNG & CSI) since it has a 7 day replacement warranty and 1 year parts & labor warranty. 

I wrapped cloth (sold by street vendors in EDSA) all around the so that dust won't stain on it's Sexy Sportish White Chasis.  When I say all around, it includes top, sides and back (except the front cuz IR & DVD Tray's there). 

Since space is an issue for me, I had no choice but to stack 40-50 DVD Cases w/ contents on top of it and a whole lot more at the back.

So far, I haven't experienced over heat issues. 

How would you identify if your unit overheats?

No one else here owns this good looking DivX/DVD Player?

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
sir nasa nextbase thread sya.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42291.1640

Thanks for the link, Bachwitz. Ganda nga ng itsura. :)

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
does it really play divx?
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline larstar

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
does it really play divx?

yes...

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
Kenzo,
Bro, I know you also own a pioneer divx player. Can you please compare the performance of nextbase and pioneer players. I'm interested to know if you have DVDs and divx files that can't be read by pioneer but play on your nextbase or vice versa.

Thanks

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2006 at 11:05 AM by torque »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
I think I read "co-axial" somewhere at the back.  Too lazy to check since it's already "set" on my table already.

I tortured test it for 48 hours (continously playing entire seasons of Star Trek TNG & CSI) since it has a 7 day replacement warranty and 1 year parts & labor warranty. 

I wrapped cloth (sold by street vendors in EDSA) all around the so that dust won't stain on it's Sexy Sportish White Chasis.  When I say all around, it includes top, sides and back (except the front cuz IR & DVD Tray's there). 

Since space is an issue for me, I had no choice but to stack 40-50 DVD Cases w/ contents on top of it and a whole lot more at the back.

So far, I haven't experienced over heat issues. 

How would you identify if your unit overheats?

No one else here owns this good looking DivX/DVD Player?

I also checked this unit in Ansons yesterday.   The unit was indeed small, I like the facial apparance. I was able to confirm that there is a coaxial output, They also put back the digital out. 
  Sir about the overheats, I have a nextbase 785 and after playing one movie the top metal casing is really hot. That on the second movie you will experience skipping already. The solution I found is to have a dedicated small fan on the player.  I guess its a good thing they were able to resolve this heating issue with a much compact unit.
   The only thing I dont like about this unit (NB656) is the screen display. A yellow 7 sequence LED. It doesnt even match the white and black color of the body.   :P

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
@torque,
Pioneer 383 has an upgradable firmware.
NextBase 656 aesthetically kicks ass!!  Great to bring to those out of town trips cuz of it's very small size!
Aside from that, both can play all my DivX library.

It never gets hot even if I play 4-6 DVDs straight.  Tried holding all the metal parts of the chasis and never found any hot areas.  It's not even warm.  And I haven't turned on my aircon yet!

Checked and it has digital coaxial out.

Anyone here owns this model, or I'm the only one who bought this unit here?

Offline larstar

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Anyone here owns this model, or I'm the only one who bought this unit here?

me...

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:

Thanks Kenzo for the feedback.

I'm now choosing between pioneer 383, xenon 830 and nextbase 656 for my next player.

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
post pa kau ng mga comments nyo about sa product kasi i might buy one..
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
I never turn it off and no part of the DivX Player gets hot.. it doesn't even get warm! (with or without aircon)
You have to keep in mind that I stack piled DVDs on top, on the side and at the back of my unit and it runs smoothly.

I play DivX TV series to put me to sleep.

Coaxial digital DTS out.

Have I mentioned that the GLOW IN THE DARK remote kicks ass and I find it VERY USEFUL!!

This baby is even smaller than most laptops!!  Btw, I tried testing it by banging it while playing a DivX and also turn it upside down while playing DivX and it still plays without a glitch!!  It doesn't even pause even if I turn it 90 degrees or 180 degrees WHILE IT'S PLAYING!!

It's definitely a bargain at P3,999.00!!  Very high Porma Factor / Pogi Points !! :)

Offline inyaks

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
@ kenzo823

Can you zoom out the picture if the aspect ratio of the movie is too large for the TV screen?  I encounter this problem with my Philips DivX player as the movie that I am watching is too large for the screen that you don't get to see the subtitles.  My Xenon 830 can zoom out so that you get a smaller screen but at least get to see the whole picture.  Thanks for your comments/reviews btw; they are very informative :).

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
@ kenzo823

Can you zoom out the picture if the aspect ratio of the movie is too large for the TV screen?  I encounter this problem with my Philips DivX player as the movie that I am watching is too large for the screen that you don't get to see the subtitles.  My Xenon 830 can zoom out so that you get a smaller screen but at least get to see the whole picture.  Thanks for your comments/reviews btw; they are very informative :).

sir, nextbase players has zoom function. upto 16x - 1/16x.

Offline inyaks

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Thanks bachwitz  :)

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
yes the NB 656 has a ZOOM feature (although I haven't personally used it). and have i mentioned that the fastforward is up to 32X ON ANY VIDEO format??  Yes, that's a whopping 32X FORWARD or BACKWARD SPEED!!

So I pressume there are only 2 owners of this unit here in Pinoy DVD? :(
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2006 at 09:49 PM by kenzo823 »

Offline TheJoker

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
sir... could you post a pic of the SETUP MENU of it...

para malaman natin kung anong CHIPSET na ang gamit ng NEXTBASE...???

thanks a lot...

Offline napalmdog

• Collector
  • Liked:
ganda nito... tempting hehehe

basta talaga maputi at sexy irresistable  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2006 at 11:14 AM by napalmdog »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Collector
  • baby bubuyog
  • Liked:

The unit  is really quite attractive. I have to admit looks was my primary reason for buying it, as well as the generally good reviews of Nextbase units here on Pinoydvd, despite Nextbase having a cheaper model in their desktop line.

Happy to report that I've had no problems with my unit so far.  ;D

Offline napalmdog

• Collector
  • Liked:
Sir Psycho Sexy,

malaki ba improvement sa firmware? i mean user friendly ba sya? madaming features?

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Sir Psycho Sexy,

malaki ba improvement sa firmware? i mean user friendly ba sya? madaming features?

Exactly what kind of improvement or features are you looking for? Like DVD to DVD burning?

improvement from non-DivX Nextbase, hell yeah..  It's way faster and could load all my DivX collection which had a didn't play on my Fukuda (and sometimes PC).

It has VOLUME CONTROL in the remote. (for those of you who don't have a sound system that has a remote, this feature in Nextbase's remote is pure convenience)

I've got several pictures on how the NB Plays DVDs even it's rotated 90 degrees or even UPSIDE DOWN.  Also took some shots on how many DVDs I stacked on top of it.  Problem is, I don't know how to post pics here in PDVD.

Have I mentioned that the NB 656 does NOT have a fan?  It doesn't need one since it never heats up.  So no more fan humming in your quiet room.

@Backwitz
Sir about the overheats, I have a nextbase 785 and after playing one movie the top metal casing is really hot. That on the second movie you will experience skipping already. The solution I found is to have a dedicated small fan on the player.  I guess its a good thing they were able to resolve

Sir,
1) does the overheat issue happen on ALL NB 785 models or just a few units?
2) is ur unit still under warranty? if yes, why won't you have it replaced?
3) where did u purchase ur NB and where is the repair center of NB?
thanks in advance.

So there are only 3 owners of NB 656 here?
Larstar
Sir Psycho Sexy
and me

:(

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
this looks like a great player. very tempting!   ;D
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond