Author Topic: Help on Coax Cables (for CATV), connectors, and installation!  (Read 3205 times)

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Sorry po, pero ignorante ako sa CATV cables.  Kailangan ko na kasi bumili para panlatag sa house construction.  I have lots of questions, so please bear with me.  :-[

• Ano po ba tawag sa cables na provided ng CATV companies (I'm subscribed to Skycable Gold now)?  Iba-ibang RGxxx ang nakikita ko, but I have no idea what they are.
  • Anong CATV cable yung madali i-latag at i-terminate sa mga CATV wall plates (e.g. National, Akari, etc.)?  Pag sobrang stiff ng cable, di kaya madali maputol or ma-loosen ang connection?
  • Pag nag-latag ng CATV cables in-wall, dapat ba siya lang ang nasa loob ng orange PVC pipes?  Or puwede siya isabay sa phone lines and speaker cables?
  • Ano magandang brand ng wall connector/plate for CATV?  Yung matibay and madali ikabit?
  • What's the most practical choice (cost vs. quality), and about how much does it cost per meter?  Sa RAON nanaman ba dapat ang punta ko?  :'(
  • Where can I get good F-connectors?  (parang RAON nanaman ang rinig kong sagot?  :o )

Wala po akong makitang similar thread (baka nasa maling child board ako).  Sana matulungan nyo po ako...  ???

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Help on Coax Cables (for CATV), connectors, and installation!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 01:04 AM »
Use RG6 wires. You can buy them by the meter or by roll from Deeco. Even hardwares sell RG6 cables made by Columbia. Its better to put them inside PVC pipes fro added protection.

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 08:59 AM »
Thanks to sir levi and sir simple for your inputs.  When I enclose them in the PVC pipe, can I also place phone and speaker wires in the same pipe?  Or will any of them cause interference to the other?

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 06:42 PM »
Thanks to sir levi and sir simple for your inputs.  When I enclose them in the PVC pipe, can I also place phone and speaker wires in the same pipe?  Or will any of them cause interference to the other?

Actually interferrence is not a big issue cause phone & speaker are considered as low voltage
but much better if u r going to put wires on separate pipe in order to pull the wires easily if one of the
it nid to replace in near the future.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2006 at 06:45 PM by Meridian-Audio »

Offline kpy555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Cable Guy
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 11:21 AM »
Hi Paolo!

You got PM! But I forgot to mention that Belden does not manufacture F-Type connectors for RG-6 so we don't have it.

To answer some of your questions, SkyCable uses standard RG-6. OEM yun from China.

Regarding the stiffness, RG-6 drop cables for CATV tend to be stiffer because the central conductor is made of Copper-covered steel.

For connectors, go for Amphenol.

If you are to go to Raon, be careful on what you will buy. Medyo maraming fake branded products doon. But for more reliable shops, you can go to Electromark Center or Richland.

Hope this helps! :)
Authorized Distributor of Belden Cables and Wires

Offline MaNgiNa

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 05:23 PM »
sa raon malapit sa deeco may mga vendors dun na nagbebenta ng coax na magaganda..ung ginagamit ng sky at destiny andun..ung may maliit pa cyang wire na kasali...

Offline ekswind

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2007 at 04:15 PM »
which one is ok quantom brand or RG6 cable (catv) for coaxial cable

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2007 at 10:12 AM »
which one is ok quantom brand or RG6 cable (catv) for coaxial cable

RG-6 is not a brand it's a coax size. Most of the cable companies using TFC (Times Fiber Corp)  or NS-Cable brand. But there is available in the market like Belden expensive but for me better than those brand mentioned above. Of course pricey. Normally price becomes expensive if they have more Braids. Cable company standard is 60% while Belden have 90%.

One of the important factor on the quality service of this cable is the Termination, cable company like Sky use compression type connectors which is very reliable compared to readily available connectors since it uses special tools to fix it.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2007 at 11:58 AM »
First, when you purchase your coaxial cable, make sure it's 75-ohm because this is the impedance used by TV's (and CATV providers as well).  There are a lot of coax cables being sold (specially in Raon) but not necessarily 75-ohm (e.g. 50 ohm RG-58, RG-8, for two-way radios or local area networking, etc).  When there is a mismatch between the load (TV) and the transmission line (cable), it results into losses or standing waves, neither of which is good for the quality of your signal.

Second, evaluate the quality of the cable in terms of the shielding or brading (this is the wire covering the insulation of the center conductor).  The brading is designed to minimize the interference.  The higher the percentage of shielding, the better.  If you see the Swan brand, don't purchase that.  Try to strip the outermost jacket of the cable and you'll understand why.  Belden had always been my trusted cable for over a decade because of their quality, specially in the percentage of shielding.  Destiny used to provide decent quality ComSpec RG-6 cables but have now shifted to some cheaper Taiwanese RG-6 cable (probably due to cost-cutting).

Third, decide on the over-all thickness of the cable when you have selected your preferred brand.  This is usually designated by the prefix "RG", which stands by the way for Radio Guide (it was supposed to help consumers easily determine one cable size from another but as you can see, it did not meet its objective).  The 75-ohm cables are usually RG-59 and RG-6, the latter being stouter and consequently stiffer than the former.  If there is a possiblity that you will be subscribing to cable internet in the future, I would suggest you lay out an RG-6 at least.  There are also RG-11 cables but those are used for lengths of 2,000 feet to 3,000 feet.  I don't suppose you'd have a need for those.  In case you do, please note that at that length, you might need repeaters/amplifiers/boosters already.

Fourth, don't settle for those "screw on" type of F-Connectors--those are the type that get broken or loose, specially if you have a thick cable.  Cable companies use the "crimp-on" types, whether it be the compression kind or otherwise because they are reliable and have better connection.  I agree with KPY555--Amphenols are one of the better brands of connectors out there.  If you can find AMP, that's good too.

Fifth, check with the building codes of the Philippines if you are particular about the safety of the cable your laying in-wall.  In the U.S., cables have to be rated for them to be legally installed in-wall.  Again, Belden has those types of cables (some are called Plenum).  At the very least, use a PVC to insulate the cable from rats. :)  I don't know exactly about the voltage of phone lines but the last time I checked, I got a nasty shock when the phone rang while I was holding the phone wire (things might have changed when our phones became "digital", so to speak).  I believe that was at least 110v in the old days.  :-[ 

Avesco/5th Avenue is a dealer of Belden cables.  As you may already know, this company is a bit on the high-side when it comes to pricing. :)

It's a bit long but I hope it has helped you get acquainted with transmission lines (i.e. cables).  Good luck! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2007 at 10:18 PM by du1mij »

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
Avesco/5th Avenue is a dealer of Belden cables.  As you may already know, this company is a bit on the high-side when it comes to pricing. :)

Wag na kayo lumayo.  Get your Belden cables from KPY555.  It might be inconvenient for some, but it's definitely worth the trip!  I got all my RG6 from him.  We used PVC pipes (orange) for in-wall installation during construction.