Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 112399 times)

Offline CaptainKidd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Nice to meet yah!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #270 on: Apr 04, 2004 at 08:32 PM »
Hi guys, pareho pala kami ng dilemma ni Galactus.  :(  
I'm using a Pioneer DV233 and RCA lang din ang audio nya.  I was planning on getting a 5.1 HT.  
Do you think it's better to get the Logitech Z-680 rather than buying a receiver and 5.1 speakers?  18,999 is a bit pricey for me.  

Is a receiver the same with an amplifier?   :)  Dumaan kasi ako sa raon a while ago and I was eyeing for the Promac Pro5.1 speakers for 3,700.   Ok kaya kung yan nalang bilhin ko and bili nlang ako ng receiver?  

Medyo nalilito na kasi ako eh.  Newbie kasi me sa HT setup.   ;D

How much kaya ang Yamaha Tss1 and Yamaha Tss10?  
thank's guys!

Villman.

http://www.villman.com.ph/products/specs/logitech/z-680.asp?code=z-680_thx&ref=logitech/z-680.asp

Php 18999.00
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2004 at 08:50 PM by CaptainKidd »

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #271 on: Apr 12, 2004 at 11:11 AM »
Sayang, wala nang Cambridge Audio anywhere around....   Those DTT series of Creative really rocks!
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
Re:Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #272 on: Apr 13, 2004 at 12:45 PM »
Hi guys, pareho pala kami ng dilemma ni Galactus.  :(  
I'm using a Pioneer DV233 and RCA lang din ang audio nya.  I was planning on getting a 5.1 HT.  
Do you think it's better to get the Logitech Z-680 rather than buying a receiver and 5.1 speakers?  18,999 is a bit pricey for me.  

Is a receiver the same with an amplifier?   :)  Dumaan kasi ako sa raon a while ago and I was eyeing for the Promac Pro5.1 speakers for 3,700.   Ok kaya kung yan nalang bilhin ko and bili nlang ako ng receiver?  

Medyo nalilito na kasi ako eh.  Newbie kasi me sa HT setup.   ;D

How much kaya ang Yamaha Tss1 and Yamaha Tss10?  

thank's guys!

Bro,
at that price, you get the entire DTX 9.5 Slim Series speaker system(towers, center, rears)7,410, a DTX 4.10 sub 5,500, a generic dvd player 2,800, and a Sakura AV387 amp 3,325. And note that this is already a full sized system. BUT, as I would always give as an advice, paunti-unti na lang muna, you'd make better decisions. IF you're patient enough, and as a rule of thumb, buy the best equiptment that you can afford, so walang regrets eventually. AND of course, set a limit. Decide on what would be enough for you and what would give you contentment. This is what you must establish. What would make you happy? Kasi there is practically no limit to this hobby, so establish kung what is enough for you. And it would also be best to buy equiptment na component talaga and not integrated systems. Don't opt to buy HTIBs since less flexible ang mga ito and mas maganda syempre ang mga compo. UNLESS, happy ka na sa HTIB. Just my 2 cents. Oh and aaah, ang receiver usually has a radio receiver, AM and FM, ang amp, amplifier lang. :)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline porch_zero

• Apprentice
  • We're Jamming....
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 11:34 AM »
meron kasi akong sansui receiver model R-30 sa bahay. pero walang speakers.  ano kayang speakers ang kelangan kong bilin? 6 ohms ang impedance ng receiver na ito.  sa mga speakers ba, pano mo malalaman ang capability ng isang speaker? meron bang case na hindi compatible ang isang speaker sa receiver/amp?

gusto ko lang magkaron ng decent sound tong receiver na ito. not necessarily na dumadagundong yung kwarto ko.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 11:50 AM »
I really don't see a serious problem matching the current crop of commercial speakers with commerical receivers or amps, old and new.   Knowing that your Sansui wants 6-ohm loads is good. Knowing further what your power rating is should start you off on your quest.  Offhand, many Wharfedale speakers have 6-ohm ratings.  But 8-ohm speakers would be just fine.  In solid state, when in doubt, always get a higher impedance speakers - usually 8 ohms.  A lower impedance speaker could have more chances of ruining itself or the amp if it has lower impedance than what the amp expects.  Likewise, do get speakers with maximum power ratings that are close to what your receiver or amp can deliver in terms of RMS or continuous power.  A severely underpowered amp driven to clipping at high volumes will ruin the speakers just as much as an ovepowered amo can.

Offline porch_zero

• Apprentice
  • We're Jamming....
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 12:17 PM »
thanks sir avphile!  O0

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • SVS SB-1000 & Polk Audio RTi A3 Make sense to me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Apr 15, 2004 at 01:58 PM »
What is the use of tube buffer? Does it in any way affect the sounds of a certain amp? What about the rectifier? What it means if it is tube rectified or ss rectified? How it affect the sounds of an amp? Thanks :-X
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2004 at 02:12 PM by lance »
This link might help you with your kids.

Offline ultraman

• Collector
  • mama mia!!! mama mia!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Apr 15, 2004 at 07:31 PM »
          kaibigan, tanong lang po.. I tried making pindot pindot my DVD set-up and one time i saw his terms.. I just want to utilize my units capability kaya konting tulong lang po. O0
          Ano po ibig sabihin ng SPDIF and VSS?
          Whats center delay and rear delays are for?
          How am i going to configure my audio system? ( ALL LARGE SPEAKERS, SMALL SPEAKERS OR MIXED SPEAKERS) I'm using DTX speakers.
           What does bandpass mean in terms sa subwoofer?

TNX.......

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Apr 16, 2004 at 10:30 AM »
          kaibigan, tanong lang po.. I tried making pindot pindot my DVD set-up and one time i saw his terms.. I just want to utilize my units capability kaya konting tulong lang po. O0
          Ano po ibig sabihin ng SPDIF and VSS?
          Whats center delay and rear delays are for?
          How am i going to configure my audio system? ( ALL LARGE SPEAKERS, SMALL SPEAKERS OR MIXED SPEAKERS) I'm using DTX speakers.
           What does bandpass mean in terms sa subwoofer?

TNX.......

SPDIF - Sony Philips Digital Interface - coaxial digital out

VSS - Virtual Surround System

Delay - measure of sound reproduction with respect to the position of the speaker to the listerner in order to "virtually copy" the accurate time response in reproducing the sound

For DTX speaker settings- if you do not want to add deep bass in the subwoofer and the LFE (low frequency effects) will be handled only by the to Subwoofer, use LARGE; use Small, if you want to have bass management and deep bass and LFE will be handled by SUB.

This might help:
Here are some areas where "calibration" is usually done in an HT set-up:

(1)  Set all the 5 channels to the have identical volume levels.  I think you also have to set the subwoofer about a few dbs higher than the other speakers, but this depends on the power of the sub as well.  You either use an SPL meter in your listening position or just trust your ears.

(2)  Set the delay time on the surround speakers relative to your listening position so that the sound from both arrives at your ears about the same time as the fronts.  Your receiver manual should tell you how to do this.  Some receivers can set the delay in terms of distance from the listening position (1 foot = 1 millisec), others in time.

(3)  Set the bass management of the receiver in terms of crossover frequency you prefer.  In some recievers, this is taken cared of by selecting either "small" or "large" for the fronts and surrounds.  But this calibration is also used other than for HT purposes.

Bandpass - circuit that allows signals between two specific frequencies to pass, but that discriminates against signals at other frequencies. The main function of such a filter in a transmitter is to limit the bandwidth of the output signal (frequencies) to the necessary to convey data at the desired frequency. Like if you want your subwoofer to handle the freqency range from 20 Hz to 150Hz.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2004 at 10:35 AM by Philander »

Offline ultraman

• Collector
  • mama mia!!! mama mia!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Apr 16, 2004 at 11:40 PM »
               @Philander,,, thanks for your info. helped a lot. tnx uli sir.. sa uulitin O0

Offline porch_zero

• Apprentice
  • We're Jamming....
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Apr 23, 2004 at 10:44 AM »
correction on the impendance of my vintage sansui receiver.  8 ohms ang impedance nito.  and im currently using speakers with 6 ohms impedance. this setup has been working fine, sounds naman is ok.  would the difference in impedance cause any serious trouble with my receiver and speakers in the future? ang nakikita ko kasing mga speakers presently, puro 6 ohms eh.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Apr 23, 2004 at 11:11 AM »
Those old sansui receivers can better handle lower loads though they are not necessarily of high current design.  I shouldn't worry unless I listen at full power.  If the Sansui gets too hot to touch, just aim an electric fan to it.  Do they get that hot when listening at normal levels? If not, no need to worry. 

Offline porch_zero

• Apprentice
  • We're Jamming....
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Apr 23, 2004 at 12:06 PM »
last night, at normal levels and about 3 hours of use, the sansui got hot, but not that much.  so i think i should not worry about this. 

btw, what is a classic case of a speaker-amplifier getting ruined because of incompatibility? kasi i'm still confused with picking the optimal speakers for a simple amplifier setup.  kasi usually di ba, hindi naman nakaindicate ang power rating sa mga speaker itself? tama ba itong haka haka ko?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Apr 23, 2004 at 01:08 PM »
The incompatibility would have to be severe to ruin either amp or speaker. 

Driving a 100 watt speaker with a 15-watt amp that is maxed out can fry tweeters due to clipped harmonics being sent by the amp.  Similarly, driving a 15-watt speaker from a 100 watt amp at high volumes can send the over-driven woofer cone flying in all directions or just burning the voice coils to a crisp after a few hours of non-stop use. 

Using a 4-ohm speaker mated to solid state amp that is not high-current (meaning in simple terms,  it can only drive 8 ohm - 16 ohm speakers, no less) will fry the power transistors within a few hours, if not minutes, or trigger the protection circuit, if it has one,  everytime you increase the volume beyond a certain point. 

Many speakers have nominal power rating and impedances stated at the back.  Most indicate their minimum and maximum input power that it can safely be driven with.  Sensitivity figures like 89db are likewise indicated.  Frequency responses,  like 30Hz - 23Hz are indicated.   Even the Dai-1chi speakers I used in the past had a frequency reponse CURVE plastered at the back.   Complete information such as these indicate good and confident speaker design.  I wouldn't consider any speaker that doesn't have these info at the back. (Some old JBL speakers I've seen have this info in front.) 

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 03:27 PM »
Mga bossing tanong lang po...

Yung RXV-800 receiver po ay my "direct processor" button and when I check the manual it says when "on" it bypass the bass,treble and ext.bass. My Cd player(RCD02) presently is connected via coax (digital) would it make a difference ba kung I connect my player to the receiver via the analog connection and switching the "direct processor" to on?

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 04:00 PM »
Mga bossing tanong lang po...

Yung RXV-800 receiver po ay my "direct processor" button and when I check the manual it says when "on" it bypass the bass,treble and ext.bass. My Cd player(RCD02) presently is connected via coax (digital) would it make a difference ba kung I connect my player to the receiver via the analog connection and switching the "direct processor" to on?

TIA

Am not so sure about the signal path your CD goes through.  Your direct button may work either way.  My understanding is that using the digital connection just bypasses the internal DAC/processor of your CD player and routes the digital streams to the processor/DAC of the receiver.  After the receiver, the decoded analog signal then goes through the normal analog preamp circuits containing the bass, treble, balance, volume controls.  So the bypass swtich should simply bypasses these controls except volume and the decoded analog signals go directly to the power amp.  This is the implementation in some receivers.

But if the receiver has digital bass, treble, volume controls integrated with its other digital processing functions, the bypass switch may not yield any sound at all as you would be bypassing the entire digital circuit altogether, including all digitally connected source. SO there's no sound when this is activated, is there? You would need to connect the analog output of the CD player to the analog input of the receiver to benefit from this.   If so, that means the receiver actually does an ADC or analog to digital conversion for all your analog input.  Not very nice as your entire CD signal path passes through a DAC twice.  So a bypass switch would be a good thing. 

In this latter case, if the internal DAC of the CD players does a better job, using the bypass switch can yield a better sound.  IF the receiver has a better DAC, use the digital connection. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2004 at 04:02 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 05:18 PM »
Thanks sir Av-phile1,

actually di ko pa na try kasi I was still thinking over kung bibili ako ng quality analog cable(Qunex2), incase I switch to analog connection ok lang ba yung coax(digital - ix0s105 2m) na gamiting ko para sa sub, presently Im using RS coax alin ba ang mas ok yung ixos or RS para sa sub. (cannot afford pa tday QED spiral para sa sub.)

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 05:25 PM »
I am not a believer of special cables for subs.  Any well-constructed interconnect cable will do the job.  A video coax cable has a 75 ohm impedance, also ideal for digital coax interconnecting, not necessary for ordinary audio interconnects.  But their shiedling is good enough to make them work just as well.   

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 05:37 PM »
Sir Av_phile1 thanks ulit,

I'm just thinking of econimizing/justifying the purchse of a new analog cable para sa CD and honestly para kasing di ako satisfy sa sound ng audio setup ko kaya baka kako thru cable upgrade(cheaper) ay maging ok. Sir ano palagay mo getting a seperate Intgrtd amplifier(RA-02) will improve the audio quality ng setup ko or its not practica(cost will not justify the improvement)kasi once I get a seperate I will be force to get a new pair of speakers for the audio setup only.

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 06:05 PM »
See my post to your querry at Setup Upgrading.

Let me add, if your budget permits go the separate route.

Otherwise, you would still need to save a bit more to upgrade your receiver to a more musical HT receiver that is adequately powered.  You can go for a harman-kardon, NAD or Rotel HT receiver.  These are high-current recievers that won't dissappoint in either music or HT. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2004 at 06:06 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 06:30 PM »
Thanks sir Av, think your right got to go for the separate route...ipon muna ng kaunti pa, grabe tong SARS sa PinoyDVD from cable to separate na...atleast happy naman(joke lang).

Thanks again sir av

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 11:15 AM »
What is the use of tube buffer? Does it in any way affect the sounds of a certain amp? What about the rectifier? What it means if it is tube rectified or ss rectified? How it affect the sounds of an amp? Thanks :-X

reposting this as i am intrested also to know the answer to this questions.

thnx.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 02:37 PM »
None, nada, zilch, as far as I am concerned.  Not that it matters to me.  ;D  But ofcourse, tube lovers would say otherwise. 
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004 at 02:39 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: May 04, 2004 at 06:19 PM »
Dear Guru's need help again...

I'm new to seperate audio system and here's my situation currently I'm eyeing RA01/RA02 for audio amps to pair it with my RCD02, but I have only 1 pair of main speaker which is presently connected to RXV800(w/5chn pre out) for HT...eto po yung mga tanong ko..

1) pwede po bang kunin ko yung main LR preout ng RXV800, tapos connect it to RA01/RA02 and connect main sprk to RA01/RA02 ?

2)pwede rin ho bang sa RXV800 yung volume control for both HT and audio setup(kasi mas mura yata yung RA01 w/remote compare to RA02 he..hee..he)?

3)Incase po na pwede ok lang ba yung ganoong setup for audio and HT ? or nabalewala lang yung pag add ng RA01/RA02 since connected parin sya sa RXV800?(RCD02 connected sa RA01/RA02)?

need your advise/help very much...

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: May 04, 2004 at 09:20 PM »
Dear Guru's need help again...

I'm new to seperate audio system and here's my situation currently I'm eyeing RA01/RA02 for audio amps to pair it with my RCD02, but I have only 1 pair of main speaker which is presently connected to RXV800(w/5chn pre out) for HT...eto po yung mga tanong ko..

1) pwede po bang kunin ko yung main LR preout ng RXV800, tapos connect it to RA01/RA02 and connect main sprk to RA01/RA02 ?

If the RA01 or 02 has L and R Main Inputs, you can connect the RXV800 front L and R pre-outs to this.  Then connect the main front L and R speakers to the Rotel.  I wouldn't worry about power as the RXV800 is overrated at 100wpc.  There is some likelihood the Rotel's conservative 40wpc is more than a match to the RXV800's power rating.

But I'm afraid the rotel may  not have main-ins for this.  I would suggest to use instead the RXV800's TAPE L and R RECORD OUT and connect this to the RA-02's TAPE IN or any of its line inputs.  This is a fixed level signal so you can use the Rotel to control your front volume.  Then connect your front speakers to the Rotel instead of the Yamaha.
2)pwede rin ho bang sa RXV800 yung volume control for both HT and audio setup(kasi mas mura yata yung RA01 w/remote compare to RA02 he..hee..he)?

If you use the RXV800's pre-outs, yes, but you can't (see above) unless you want to overdrive the RA02 by connecting those Yamaha pre-outs to the Rotel's line level input.

3)Incase po na pwede ok lang ba yung ganoong setup for audio and HT ? or nabalewala lang yung pag add ng RA01/RA02 since connected parin sya sa RXV800?(RCD02 connected sa RA01/RA02)?

Hindi naman.  If you follow my suggestion in (1), on pure 2-channel music-only mode, connect your cd player to the RA02 CD/Aux IN and just listen to the Rotels.   No need to power On the RXV800. 

On HT mode,  you would need to control two volume controls:  one from the RA02 for the fronts and another from the RXV800 for the other channels. ( The DVD player is connected to  the Yamaha.)  Rather complicated, but you get better sonic purity on 2-ch mode. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2004 at 09:22 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2004 at 02:01 PM »
Thanks Sir AV_phile1,malinaw na sa akin lhat just need little more time to save for RA01/Ra02  ;D The real reason for adding RA01/RA02 is to improve my 2 chn music listening...thanks again

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Audio Setup Newbie
« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2004 at 06:28 PM »
Tanong lang mga sir I'm a newbie...

already made my mind on getting RA02 to pair it w/RCD02, after lots of idea/info. from av_phile1. The problem is medyo taas price dito ng Ra02 (25-27K) compare dyan sa atin 17K ata kya parang nag dadalawang isip ako bec. of the price difference and also saw this special offer selling Quad 306 power amp(50w/2chn-new w/box uk made) 4x cheaper than cost of RA's. I can get 2 of these and still wala pa sa kalahati ng RA02 but Im worried of the ff:

1)service
2)110v only
3) not good looking - like huge heatsink sa  CPU/Fan ng computer.
4)Very old model

need your opinion/advise...

TIA

Offline Sauron Cookie

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Build me a cookie worthy of my army!
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2004 at 08:21 PM »
Ken,

Check out audioreview.com for reviews. Actually, i already checked it and the reviewers were very happy with the quad  :)

Don't worry if it's old, hey i have a 20-year old tube amp and i absolutely love it.

Don't worry if it's 110v, hey that's why there are avrs or maybe you can have it converted.

Don't worry about looks, if it sounds magical to your ear, heck why not?

Service, that i'm not sure of but from what i read that thing is pretty durable.

One thing is for sure, audition before you buy with components similar to what you have or maybe you can home audition it before purchasing.

Just my two cents.

Happy hunting.  ;D

Offline Sauron Cookie

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Build me a cookie worthy of my army!
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2004 at 08:31 PM »
Ken,

Pahabol, if you do decide to get the quad which is a solid state power amp, i would recommend that you pair it with a tube preamp to give it some warmth  :)

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: May 08, 2004 at 04:36 PM »
Thanks Souron Cookie...

just checked Audioreview and TNT Audio and it seems  306 is not bad at all as you said it would be better to listen/test it first with my gear...Ill try to talk to the shop if they would allow me to home test it( i doubt they will agree...)but nothing's loss in trying...

and most important of all better start talking to wify that it is the sound that matters most  not the looks ;D ;D;D(just incase I go for the Quad's)... Thanks again Sourin Cookie.