Author Topic: if i use a power amp, will the power of my avr not wasted?  (Read 718 times)

Offline maximusIII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • sing no sad song for me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

i have a denon 1907, (it says discrete and equal power at  85 watts per channel) i want to attach a power amplifier.

question.

if i use the preout and power my fronts via power amplifier, will i not be wasting the wattages dedicated to my front? can these unused wattages be rerouted to the back instead of being idle? when it says discrete, non transferrable?

thanks

he is not poor who has so little, only he that desires much.

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
Re: if i use a power amp, will the power of my avr not wasted?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
Using a dedicated amp will make your receiver work less. Your receiver gets all its power from its transformer. When playing loud music, especially when using DSP processing like 7 channel stereo, you tend to use equal power for all the channels. It is possible that only 30 watts maximum is the maximum power you can get from your receiver. Freeing 2 channels might get you in the vicinity of 50 watts per channel. Therefore Using a separate amp for your fronts will definitely increase the performance of your system. Do not believe published specs to be all true. those figures are for marketing only, that is why it is still best to have a preamp/poweramp combo if you are serious with your home theatre.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline maximusIII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • sing no sad song for me
  • Liked:
Re: if i use a power amp, will the power of my avr not wasted?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 08:26 AM »
tnx.  btw i am planning to buy a behringer a500, will it be compatible with my present set up, wharfdales 9.5 and 9.1  and denon 1907
he is not poor who has so little, only he that desires much.