Author Topic: Blu-ray News  (Read 161491 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: HD DVD & Blu-ray News
« Reply #330 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 06:15 AM »
Toshiba Refutes Sony's Claims of Blu-ray Stand-Alone Player Dominance

Well, that didn't take long. Toshiba this afternoon issued a tersely-worded response to claims made by Sony at a CEDIA press conference last night.

As we first reported earlier today, Sony VP Chris Fawcett was quoted as saying that stand-alone Blu-ray players had begun out-selling their HD DVD counterparts over the last 12 weeks.

Given the extent to which HD DVD backers had previously emphasized their own lead in this category, Sony's claims set off a minor firestorm across the web -- so much so, apparently, that Toshiba felt compelled to issue its own statement in response this afternoon.

The statement reads as follows:

"In light of recent comments made regarding high definition stand-alone video players sales, Toshiba would like to reiterate its continued industry leading sales figures. Based on July data from NPD, Toshiba had a 55% market share year to date in high definition stand alone player sales followed by all Blu-ray companies at a combined 42%; the final 3 percent is held by dual format players.

While the competition may claim leadership based on one month of data, Toshiba has had continued sales leadership in every month since the original HD DVD players launched 17 months ago.

Toshiba is and continues to be a top seller at retailers such as Amazon, most recently reaching #1 on the site last week. As third generation players begin to come to market at the end of this month, Toshiba has full confidence that it will continue its momentum and lead in player sales. Additional information HD DVD and Toshiba’s players can be found at http://www.toshibahddvd.com"

Source
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 06:16 AM by pchin »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #331 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 10:14 AM »

Toshiba plans three next-generation players: the HD-A3 ($299.99, available in Oct.); the HD-A30 ($399.99, available this month); and the HD-A35 ($499.99, available in October). The HD-A3 outputs up to 1080i, while the HD-A30 and A-35 can handle 1080p content. The A-35 includes support for "deep color," enabling dynamic color ranges beyond what the human eye can see. Both of the latter two models also include the HDMI-CEC or CE-Link capability, which allows the HD DVD player to control a Toshiba TV. Sally said that a user would simply have to press "play" on the HD DVD controller, and the TV would turn on as well.

Furthermore, Toshiba said it would issue a firmware update via Ethernet to its existing HD-XA2 and HD-A20 models, enabling them to process 1080p content at 24 frames per second.

Christmas is truly just around the corner!!!! ipon ipon na tyo mga bros!

p.s. thanks bro pchin for the pm
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 10:17 AM »

Nov 20th

Oct 9th

Oct 23rd

Oct 9th

very good titles to have........ ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 11:24 AM »
Transformers On HD DVD: Sound Good to You?

Now the HD-DVD crowd is upset with the announcement yesterday (Sept. 5) that the HD-DVD release will not have a Dolby TrueHD track and will have Dolby Digital + only at 1.5 mps.

The stone throwing has already started on the Internet forums. Even the BD fanboys are getting into the act claiming, with no proof whatsoever, that their is no lossless encode due to the lack of space on the HD-DVD, ignoring the fact that there are longer movies released on HD-DVD with TrueHD tracks.

Me? I will wait for the final product is released before I pass judgment on the sound quality. Too many HT enthusiasts and audiophiles get too caught up in the specs. There is more to real world performance than specs. Look at audio. I have many a component with great specs that sound awful and visa versa.

Let's relax guys and wait until we hear the track for ourselves in October. If you hate it, b**ch about it then but at least wait till you hear it before you pass judgment.  ;D

Full article
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 11:28 AM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 11:39 AM »
Transformers On HD DVD: Sound Good to You?

Now the HD-DVD crowd is upset with the announcement yesterday (Sept. 5) that the HD-DVD release will not have a Dolby TrueHD track and will have Dolby Digital + only at 1.5 mps.

The stone throwing has already started on the Internet forums. Even the BD fanboys are getting into the act claiming, with no proof whatsoever, that their is no lossless encode due to the lack of space on the HD-DVD, ignoring the fact that there are longer movies released on HD-DVD with TrueHD tracks.

Me? I will wait for the final product is released before I pass judgment on the sound quality. Too many HT enthusiasts and audiophiles get too caught up in the specs. There is more to real world performance than specs. Look at audio. I have many a component with great specs that sound awful and visa versa.

Let's relax guys and wait until we hear the track for ourselves in October. If you hate it, b**ch about it then but at least wait till you hear it before you pass judgment.  ;D

Full article
Pretty logical article.   I guess we wont know the difference until Paramount releases one with a TrueHD soundtrack.  Til then, lets wait for AQ reviews when this title hit the streets.  :)

Offline NeilNo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 01:56 AM »
Transformers HD DVD cover;   ;D

UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 03:19 AM »
For the Harry Potter fans;  ;D

Coming on Dec. 11, 2007!

'Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix' on HD DVD, Blu-ray in December

Warner Home Video will release 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' on HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc on December 11, day-and-date with the release of multiple standard DVD editions. We expect the previous four Potter films to be available in a Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD limited edition box set packaged with Phoenix on the same date, as well as each previous Potter title being sold individually.

The HD DVD version of 'Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix' will include a favorite scene reel, an In-Movie Experience feature (IME) where the cast from Dumbledore's Army come together to share memorable moments from the film, as well as web-enabled sycronized playback events and mobile downloads. These features are currently not planned for the Blu-ray version.

Other supplemental features will be identical to those found on the two-disc standard DVD version including 10 minutes of additional footage; an A&E documentary; Trailing tonks, where you can spend a day with Actress Nat Tena and receive a very personal and often wacky tour of the Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix stages; Making-of featurettes to discover just what is involved to create those amazing scenes and characters; Pick Your Favorite Scenes - Assemble your favorite clips from the movie, create your montage; Fun and Games -the director and editor show us what a difference a good edit makes.

Currently the only technical spec Warner has issued indicates the Blu-ray Disc version will be pressed onto a BD-50 discs and the HD DVD version will include Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio. We're going to wait for full specs before writing off the appearance of lossless audio on either format

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=705
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 03:34 AM by NeilNo »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 06:30 AM »
Save up guys!!!!  ;D ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 07:51 AM »
IFA 2007: Pioneer Blu-ray Player, Cars, Sin City

Pioneer unveiled their new Blu-ray player, the BDP-LX70A, which when released in Europe next month will supersede the BDP-LX70 model released earlier this year. The price of this high-end model will remain €1,300 and the only difference between the two models seems to be that the HDMI version has been upgraded from 1.2a to 1.3, which enables bitstream output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The player also features 1080p/24, HDMI 1.3, HDMI-CEC, Ethernet and DLNA. Pioneer further plans to introduce another player model in the US, the BDP-95FD, which they will be able to offer more information about at CEDIA.

The highlight of Pioneer's Blu-ray showcase was their Blu-ray theater showroom where they were showing clips of new and upcoming Blu-ray movies including Cars, Wild Hogs, Sin City and Batman Begins. The Cars footage showed off the "Car Finder" interactive BD-Java feature allowing users to search for the more than 200 different cars featured in the movie, and even "race the clock" to find a specific car in a frozen frame of film. The Sin City and Batman Begins footage is hopefully a sign that these movies are being prepared for release and will make an appearance on Blu-ray soon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=487

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 08:00 AM »
IFA 2007: Panasonic Blu-ray Player and Premium Theatre

Panasonic brought their DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player released earlier this summer, as well as some of their Blu-ray drives for desktop and notebook computers. However, the main attraction at Panasonic was their Premium Blu-ray Theatre featuring 5 large plasma screen HDTV's and 5.1-channel surround sound. In the theatre they were showing HD music videos by a new group called Three Graces, a trio of girls that blend their various backgrounds in Opera, Pop and Broadway to create a new sound. Their debut album will be released in January 22, 2008. We're not exactly sure how they were able to feed different video streams to the plasma screens and keep it perfectly synced, but it was an interesting experience.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=488

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 08:08 AM »
Transformers HD DVD cover;   ;D

The cover art is a bit plain but hey I can't complain.... :P

For the Harry Potter fans;  ;D Coming on Dec. 11, 2007!

We expect the previous four Potter films to be available in a Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD limited edition box set packaged with Phoenix on the same date

Wow...massive news...greatest damage of the year to our wallet!  ;D Yes, we better save up now...it's a big crazy spending spree season!  ;D

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2416
« Reply #341 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 12:28 PM »
IFA 2007: Panasonic Blu-ray Player and Premium Theatre

Panasonic brought their DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player released earlier this summer, as well as some of their Blu-ray drives for desktop and notebook computers. However, the main attraction at Panasonic was their Premium Blu-ray Theatre featuring 5 large plasma screen HDTV's and 5.1-channel surround sound. In the theatre they were showing HD music videos by a new group called Three Graces, a trio of girls that blend their various backgrounds in Opera, Pop and Broadway to create a new sound. Their debut album will be released in January 22, 2008. We're not exactly sure how they were able to feed different video streams to the plasma screens and keep it perfectly synced, but it was an interesting experience.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=488

Wow how I wish they have these kind of shows here in the Philippines

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 06:02 PM »
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904741

The titles making new appearances on the list:

10,000 B.C.
The Adventures of Robinhood
Appleseed Ex Machina
The Assassination of Jesse James
August Rush
The Aviator
Batman Begins
Batman Anime
The Best of HD DVD: Family
The Best of HD DVD: Action
Bonnie and Clyde
Brave One
The Bucket List
Casablanca
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Cincinnati Kid
Clash of the Titans
Complete Matrix Trilogy
Cool Hand Luke
Dark Knight
The Dead Pool
Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Falling Down
The Feast of Love
Fool's Gold
Fred Claus
Friends: The Complete First Season
Get Smart
The Goonies
Grand Prix
The Green Mile
Harry Potter (All of them being sold seperate)
Heat
I Am Legend
In the Valley of Elah
The Invasion
Justice League: The Frontier
L.A. Confidential
Magnum Force Deluxe Ed
Matrix (All of them being sold seperate)
The Matrix Online Game Card
Men
Michael Clayton
Mutiny on the Bounty
Natural Born Killers
Nights in Rodanthe
No Reservations
Ocean's (All of them being sold seperate)
One Missed Call
Perfect Storm
Poltergeist
Poseidon
The Promise
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Smallville: The Complete First Season
Speed Racer
Spring Breakdown
Sudden Impact
Superman Doomsday
Taking Lives
That's Entertainment
That's Entertainment 2
That's Entertainment 3
That's Entertainment Trilogy Giftset
Twister
The Ultimate Matrix Trilogy
V for Vendetta
The West Wing: The Complete Seventh Season
Whiteout
The Wizard of Oz

Access the website here: Warner Bros. High Definition
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 06:04 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 11:03 PM »
Good for BD fanboys. It's a nice long list! As the other member put it:
"Nothing has been announced or confirmed. Looks like a teaser"  :P

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 06:12 PM »
ARRGH...ang ganda nito...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4UKRwSZZo

Will be my second HD dip for this title >:( >:(

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 06:28 PM »
would i comment on the lossless track if id didn't think it made it difference? i was also a pessimist before that lossless tracks don't make a difference but it does. i've tried it in my setup and i did hear a difference. have you compared lossless audio vs compressed in your system? if not how can you say there's no difference? don't just parrot what you read from other forums because for every one poster that says they can't hear a difference there are 5 who says otherwise. if you don't have first hand experience then just don't comment.

what's wrong with using LPCM? its uncompressed audio. it's bit for bit identical w/ the original master. Mpeg-2 can be as good looking as VC-1. a number of movies encoded in mpeg-2 are in the top tiers in terms of PQ. Granted that TFE isn't one of the best looking BD's out there but it still looks a helluva lot better than DVD. Sony also released a remastered version that has TruHD and PCM and its one of the best looking movies out there right now.

if HD DVD really doesn't have a space issue then why didn't they even add a lossless track to Transformers? and Transformers isn't the only movie that Paramount has given a watered down version. Blades of Glory BD would have had( or should i say has?) a PCM track and HD DVD only has DD 5.1. the HD DVD version of Face Off will have less extras than the BD version would have.

PQ is only 50% of the HD/HT experience. the other 50% is AQ. I'm not a fanboy and i don't mindlessly support Bluray. i know BD has its faults but it also has its strengths. All i want is the best PQ & AQ i can get

You should check this out
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=50603

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
ARRGH...ang ganda nito...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4UKRwSZZo
Will be my second HD dip for this title >:( >:(

Wow...It's in DTS HD 7.1 audio!! This is a must have!! :o It's one of my favourite movies of all time! ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007 at 06:40 PM by pchin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 09:13 PM »
Report: DVD Forum Approves 51GB HD DVD 

The 51GB HD DVD disc is apparently one step closer to becoming a reality.

According a published report from UK research firm Screen Digest, the DVD Forum (the international organization responsible for DVD standards) has approved a 51 GB single-sided triple-layer HD DVD disc for production.

First announced by Toshiba last January at CES, a 51GB HD DVD disc would up the format's current dual-layer maximum storage capacity by a cool 21GB, but more importantly, it would close the gap between HD DVD and Blu-ray. Blu-ray currently supports 50GB discs, which has been one of the primary tech advantages it holds over its rival.

The extention to the existing HD DVD standard was submitted by Toshiba in April and was said to be approved on August 31st.

While DVD Forum approval is one obstacle cleared for Toshiba, it remains to be seen when (or even if) the new disc type will actually be put into use for movie releases. Insiders say it could take years for production yields to reach manageable levels, and there are conflicting reports as to whether or not the new triple layer discs would be supported by current players.

Source

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007 at 09:15 PM by pchin »

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 12:56 AM »
Ocean's 13 on Nov. 12;

;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 07:14 AM »
Shawshank Redemption, T3, and Twister Announced

Warner Home Video has added three films to their release slate, all set to come to Blu-ray later this year. 'The Shawshank Redemption', rated one of the best movies of all time, 'Terminator 3', and 'Twister' have all been put on the release schedule. 'The Shawshank Redemption' will be released on a BD-50. No other specs or dates have been announced at this time.
Also of note, Warner will be releasing a 'The Best of Blu-ray: Action' set which consists of 'Alexander Revisited: (Unrated) Final Cut', 'Blood Diamond', 'Troy Director's Cut (Unrated)' and 'Wyatt Earp' and a 'The Best of Blu-ray: Family' set which consists of 'The Ant Bully', 'Happy Feet', 'Scooby Doo: The Movie', and 'Tim Burton's: The Corpse Bride' on the same day. Specs will be the same as the individual releases.

And while this is most likely an error, Warner also lists 'A Little Princess' coming September 25th. The 1995 version directed by Alfonso Cuarón is listed coming on a BD-50 with Dolby Digital surround.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=495

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 07:23 AM »

Wow how I wish they have these kind of shows here in the Philippines

:P :P :P :P

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 08:17 AM »
Shawshank Redemption, T3, and Twister Announced

Warner Home Video has added three films to their release slate, all set to come to Blu-ray later this year. 'The Shawshank Redemption', rated one of the best movies of all time, 'Terminator 3', and 'Twister' have all been put on the release schedule. 'The Shawshank Redemption' will be released on a BD-50. No other specs or dates have been announced at this time.

Hoping Twister will deliver in terms of audio quality... that would really be awesome!!!
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 08:31 AM »
Paramount Bumps 'Saturday Night Fever' HD DVD

You can put that polyester suit back in the closet, 'Saturday Night Fever' fans: next week's HD DVD version of the '70s classic has been indefinitely postponed.

News of a next-gen 'Saturday Night Fever' release in first surfaced this past April, when Paramount issued a promotional flyer touting the seminal 1977 John Travolta blockbuster as "Coming Soon," even including pics of proposed box art for both HD DVD and Blu-ray versions. Later, the studio officially announced a cross-format bow to celebrate the film's 30th anniversary, with a scheduled street date of September 18.

Though Paramount's subsequent revelation in late August that it was going HD DVD-exclusive saw plans scrapped for any immediate 'Fever' release on Blu-ray, the studio has now removed the HD DVD version from next week's release schedule as well.

Though Paramount has not revealed any reason for the bump of the HD DVD, the standard DVD version remains on track for release next week. We'll certainly keep you posted if/when a high-def version is re-announced by the studio.

Source

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 08:34 AM »
'Aviator' Soars to HD DVD, Blu-ray

Warner Home Video has announced it will bring Martin Scorsese's Oscar-decorated 'The Aviator' to Blu-ray and HD DVD this November.

The highly-acclaimed biopic of the legendary Howard Hughes, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett and Alan Alda (all Oscar nominees for their work) scored over $100 million at the domestic box office, and will hit both next-gen formats November 6.

Tech specs include 1080p video and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio (at 640kbps) -- sadly, no high-resolution formats will be offered.

Extras include an audio commentary by Scorsese, a History Channel special on the real Hughes, a deleted scene, still gallery and the original theatrical trailer.

Source

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
'Ocean's Flicks Get Boxed In with Blu-ray, HD DVD Giftsets

Warner Home Video has unveiled specs for its Blu-ray and HD DVD 'Ocean's Giftset,' which will be only way fans can get their hands on next-gen editions of 'Ocean's Eleven' and 'Ocean's Twelve.'

As the studio first announced last week, they will be bringing all three 'Ocean's flicks to high-def on November 13, timed to coincide with the standard-def debut of the latest in the blockbuster franchise, 'Ocean's Thirteen.'

But while 'Thirteen' will be made available separately as a stand-alone Blu-ray and HD DVD release, the first two films in the series, 'Ocean's Eleven and 'Ocean's Twelve,' will be packaged exclusively as part of the high-def 'Ocean's Giftset' collections.

The version of 'Ocean's Thirteen' included in the box sets will be identical to the next-gen stand-alone editions of the title, while 'Eleven' and 'Twelve' will include all of the same extras found on the previously-released standard-def DVD editions.

In addition, exclusive to the Blu-ray and HD DVD 'Ocean's Giftsets' will be never-before-seen additional footage and deleted scenes, plus more still to be announced.

Source

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 12:35 PM »
Warner Bros. Weighing HD DVD Offer?  :)

Warner Bros is considering a "lucrative offer" to back HD DVD exclusively in the high-def disc format war.

That's according to an article in today's Los Angeles Times.

Warner Bros. is now releasing titles in both Blu-ray and HD DVD and the studio has preached that the two-format approach has led to increased sales of such titles as The Departed.

But the surprise departure last month of Steve Nickerson, Warner Home Video's senior vice president for High-Definition, has raised speculation that the studio may be reconsidering its policy. Nickerson was an outspoken booster of the two-format approach in the high-def war.

The Times writes that "Hollywood insiders" say Warner is "mulling over a lucrative offer that could bring such popular titles as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix into the HD DVD camp." The newspaper doesn't say, but the offer is presumably from Toshiba, the leading backer of the HD DVD format.

If Warner were to endorse HD DVD exclusively, it would follow similar exclusive endorsements last month from Paramount and DreamWorks. (Universal is also backing HD DVD exclusively while four major studios are supporting Blu-ray exclusively.)

While a Warner switch would seriously boost HD DVD's chances in the high-def format war, the Times reports that the Blu-ray side is also busy trying to line up exclusive deals with studios and retailers.

Wal-Mart, the newspaper said, had set a mid-August deadline for deciding which format to keep in its stores; it now carries both players. But Toshiba supposedly offered a large promotional budget to support HD DVD sales in a recent meeting at Wal-Mart headquarters.

Wal-Mart would not comment on that, but told the Times that "it would be good for the studios or somebody to make the call (on the high-def format war.)."

Source

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 05:04 PM »
If warner goes hddvd exclusive, I can smell its almost over, next will be Lionsgate and Disney thats for sure na, then party's over for blu-ray. Who will pay fox's titles at 27.95, well not me, I will go selective on fox titles if ever. If Im warner I would do this because of the long term benefits and not looking at the short term making money on both sides by staying neutral, thus prolonging the war. Of course just my opinion.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 06:29 PM »
MY TWO CENTS - 9/11/07 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

Okay... we've got just a quick update for you on the Toshiba thing from yesterday's post. Apparently, this story in the L.A. Times (also carried in Newsday) was based on information that's a couple weeks out of date. This "offer" from Toshiba that the piece speaks about was apparently the one made the week Paramount and DreamWorks went HD-DVD exclusive. Our sources are telling us that Warner rejected that offer, preferring to stay format neutral. This offer thing being reported today is apparently old news.

We'll try to have more on this in the next day or two, but despite appearances - and the latest PR spin - there's no been no change in Warner's policy with regard to either high-def format.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:06 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 11:08 PM »
IFA 2007: Blu-ray Disc Association
Posted September 10, 2007 by Marwin

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), similarly to previous years had a joint booth located at the center of the main IFA hall where all of their member companies could display their upcoming Blu-ray products. However, as those that have been following our coverage from IFA already have seen, Blu-ray was everywhere and virtually every large consumer electronics manufacturer (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Sharp, LG, JVC, Hitachi, Denon, Loewe, Daewoo, Funai) featured various Blu-ray products in their own halls/booths as well.

The BDA also held a press conference at IFA where they announced that China Hualu and Acer had joined the BDA. China Hualu, which has close ties to Panasonic and interestingly created the first DVD player production line in China in 1998, revealed that they are in the process of setting up a Blu-ray authoring center in China and will begin releasing local content on Blu-ray. As for Acer, with the addition of them as a contributing member it means that the top four PC makers now are supporting the format. Other significant announcements at IFA included the Hitachi Blu-ray camcorders that will be introduced in October.

At the press conference, the BDA further revealed that Blu-ray software so far this year has outsold HD DVD in the US (67%), Europe (70%), as well as Japan (90%+). In addition, representatives from Disney, Sony Pictures, Fox/MGM and Warner detailed their plans for upcoming Blu-ray titles in the fourth quarter and beyond. Warner, which chose to only appear at the BDA press conference and not the HD DVD one, promised to release more Blu-ray titles in Q4 than in Q1, Q2 and Q3 combined.

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM »

October 9th

November 6th