Author Topic: The Yamaha RX-V663 Thread  (Read 29194 times)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Yamaha RX-V663 Thread
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 06:11 PM »
hi sir. yep thats the set na gamit ko ngayon. gaganda pa lalo tunog niyan for sure pag naka 663 na me.

One thing I've noticed when I upgraded to the 663 (from a 430), was that the midbass was more pronounced (2-ch, mains set to large). Medyo manipis kasi yung tunog dati on my 430 when set to large. But overall for HT use for me parehas lang when watching DVDs.

Naka Blu-ray ka na ba? And what's your current receiver?

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #61 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 12:06 AM »
btw, what brand, model and size of presence speakers do you use?

im using Yamaha NS-M125 (120w) as my presence speakers, same kasi sila ng shape ng fronts ko... rectangular and slim looking  ;D ;D ;D

Tingin ko somewhat same model line-up sa center/front speakers mo since it's going to augment the dialogue and front effects. Might sound funny if iba yung pagka-timbre match nila.

Maybe Toslink can confirm. :)

So far so good ang sound... you don't have to match your presence with same kind/brand ng center mo, our yammy treats your presence as small pa rin, bahala na young AVR ang mag match sa sound reproduction nun. Totally center effects lang naman ang lumalabas sa presence speaker, you can really "feel" the true DSP effects of our Yammy AVR pag may presence speakers kang naka kabit... dyan kilala AVR natin eh Best sa Cinema DSP!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #62 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:21 AM »
One thing I've noticed when I upgraded to the 663 (from a 430), was that the midbass was more pronounced (2-ch, mains set to large). Medyo manipis kasi yung tunog dati on my 430 when set to large. But overall for HT use for me parehas lang when watching DVDs.

Naka Blu-ray ka na ba? And what's your current receiver?

blu-ray not yet. current receiver is rxv450. i see. thanks sa info sir! :)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:52 PM »
mayao ba sya sa yammy 363? parang nabibitin kasi ako sa 363 ko eh. :(
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 08:22 PM »
mayao ba sya sa yammy 363? parang nabibitin kasi ako sa 363 ko eh. :(

100W @ 1kHz yung 363, so maybe around 70W rated siya at full bandwidth (20Hz to 20kHz). So theoretically maliit lang ang difference nun from the 663's 95w rating.

What's good with the 663 is you have the option to connect an external power amplifier if ever you need one (because the 663 has pre-outs).

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
im using Yamaha NS-M125 (120w) as my presence speakers, same kasi sila ng shape ng fronts ko... rectangular and slim looking  ;D ;D ;D

So far so good ang sound... you don't have to match your presence with same kind/brand ng center mo, our yammy treats your presence as small pa rin, bahala na young AVR ang mag match sa sound reproduction nun. Totally center effects lang naman ang lumalabas sa presence speaker, you can really "feel" the true DSP effects of our Yammy AVR pag may presence speakers kang naka kabit... dyan kilala AVR natin eh Best sa Cinema DSP!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Follow-up question regarding presence speakers, what if my center channel speaker is way up? It's like 6ft off the ground (on the top of the shelf) and is pointed downwards to listening position.

Will there still be a benefit to having presence speakers? As far as I know the presence speakers "lift-up" the dialogue for the center channel, right?

And, if you have floorstanding speakers for your mains, can you just put the presence speakers on top of the floorstanders?

Also, for those interested, I've written a write-up on how the RX-V663 compares to my previous receiver. Link below.

Link

More details to follow, if you have any requests, kindly PM me. I might be able to make time for it. :)

Offline Toslink

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM »
Follow-up question regarding presence speakers, what if my center channel speaker is way up? It's like 6ft off the ground (on the top of the shelf) and is pointed downwards to listening position.

Will there still be a benefit to having presence speakers? As far as I know the presence speakers "lift-up" the dialogue for the center channel, right?

And, if you have floorstanding speakers for your mains, can you just put the presence speakers on top of the floorstanders?

Also, for those interested, I've written a write-up on how the RX-V663 compares to my previous receiver. Link below.

Link

More details to follow, if you have any requests, kindly PM me. I might be able to make time for it. :)

This link explains it (siguro)... http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41243
if you're not a fan of our Yammy's DSP technology and preferred listening to "original" dvd movie/music soundtrack (w/o DSP), then no need to install your presence speaker. Ako, i find it better using yammy's DSP than the original movie soundtrack...  ;D lalo na pag dvd concerts HUWAW! it's like watching it LIVE in you own HT room!  ;D ;D ;D... Yamaha’s DSP technology can provide a very realistic “you-are-there” experience for both musical and movie material.  ;D ;D ;D

my presence speaker on top of my bass trap, 6ft from the ground... sorry madilim cp cam lang gamit ko.

a little close-up... bagong pintura walls ko hehehehe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline Toslink

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 02:23 AM »
Sa mga magpo-post... Pls no ads on this thread  :D :D :D :D Exclusive lang po sa mga 663 fanatics! hehehehe pinangunahan ko na mga bros!   ;)
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline chariol

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 08:32 AM »
just got my 663 yesterday from a onkyo 605, problem is that i cant get any sound when connected to my htpc! no problems from the 605. my video card is a 4830. can anybody help me out?

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+131)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 08:45 AM »
Bro Anson, what is the right Ipod dock model for the 663?

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+131)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 08:56 AM »
This one?

Yamaha YDS-10 Universal iPod Dock for Select Yamaha Home Theater Receivers

or, this one?

Yamaha YDS-11SL Universal iPod Dock for Select Yamaha Home Theater Receivers

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
This one?

or, this one?

hi sir. its the YDS-10 iPod Dock. :)

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM »
This one?

or, this one?

I believe both would work. Not sure of the difference between the two models though. :)

Offline Lemon_PDVD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:40 PM »
Sirs, any recommended speakers to pair with the Yammy 663 for a 12sqm home theater room - from low budget/entry-level to mid-budget/mid-level? Thanks po.

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:42 PM »
budget: yamaha ns7900 5 speaker set. retails for P12.5K sa gadgets in style and listening in style shangri la mall.

Offline Toslink

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:25 PM »
budget: yamaha ns7900 5 speaker set. retails for P12.5K sa gadgets in style and listening in style shangri la mall.

yup meron din @ gadget in style festival mall... Floor standing yung fronts very nice and small bookshelves yung surrounds super mura!  ;D ;D ;D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 05:41 PM »
yup meron din @ gadget in style festival mall... Floor standing yung fronts very nice and small bookshelves yung surrounds super mura!  ;D ;D ;D

yup murang mura and maganda na ang SQ niya. :)

Offline jeppoy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
Mag gurus just a question...
Which among the speakers will perfectly match the 663?
Is it Wharf 9 series, mission mv series or the polk audio tsi series?
Thanks!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 08:37 PM »
wharfedales are known to match well with yamahas, polks too.  ;D           
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2009 at 07:58 PM by iiinas »

Offline dhoZe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • -
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 02:27 PM »
Guys I need your expert advice, litong lito na ako  ??? which do your prefer Yamaha 663 or HK 255, what are the advantage and disadvatage over the other. . . almost magkalapit lng kc ang price. . . I know 663 thread to, pero I did post din sa HK to get their own advice. . . For comparison lang. . .
Salamat ng Marami

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 03:04 PM »
Guys I need your expert advice, litong lito na ako  ??? which do your prefer Yamaha 663 or HK 255, what are the advantage and disadvatage over the other. . . almost magkalapit lng kc ang price. . . I know 663 thread to, pero I did post din sa HK to get their own advice. . . For comparison lang. . .
Salamat ng Marami

I have both a Yamaha RX-V663 and a HK AVR-144 and the Yamaha has more options to tinker with especially in the DSP department. I know basic lang yung 144 but in my opinion, mas konti talaga ang nakakalikot sa HK because they don't have the multitude of DSP effects that are available on Yamaha's.

Main difference between the two I think would be setting the crossover frequency points, with Yamaha it's a global configuration. With the HK it's individual per speaker. And in my opinion mas better yung sa Yamaha since all speakers will be limited at the same common crossover rather than the HK which will cause imbalance in the sound. I honestly can't imagine the sound for example if you have 60Hz for your fronts, 80Hz for your center and 120Hz for your rears.

Sometimes sa brand loyalty na rin yan nagkakatalo but if I could do it all over again, I would sell my HK (actually binebenta ko nga to either get a Marantz or Yamaha) and get a Yamaha. ;D

Offline dhoZe

• Collector
  • -
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 03:21 PM »
Thanks for the insights and infos sir Blued888, actually kaunaunahang HT setup ko toh, kaya malaking tulong mga advices nyo mga Sirs  :)

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 05:50 PM »
Thanks for the insights and infos sir Blued888, actually kaunaunahang HT setup ko toh, kaya malaking tulong mga advices nyo mga Sirs  :)

And don't get swayed by people who would say HK sounds "more powerful" than a Yamaha AVR. Weigh out mo which features you want more in a receiver. Don't look at the power ratings, because if you really need more power, you should look into adding an external amplifier to a receiver that has pre-outs.

I have some articles which might be able to help you. :)

Offline dhoZe

• Collector
  • -
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 07:25 PM »
thnx Sir Blued888 bait talga mga members dito, dami ko natututunan. . . before jamo606 at pioneer na sana bibilin ko, buti napadpad ako d2 PDVD  ;D ayun lalong tumaas ang kailngang budget  ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 07:52 PM »
Sir dhoZe, nabasa ko sa HK thread, sabi mo Wharedale ang balak mong speakers.  Kung ganon, madali na lang ang pagpili mo ng AV Receiver. 

Yamaha dapat.  Mas bagay ang tunog sa combination na Yamaha & Wharfedale.

Offline Toslink

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 11:57 PM »
I have both a Yamaha RX-V663 and a HK AVR-144 and the Yamaha has more options to tinker with especially in the DSP department. I know basic lang yung 144 but in my opinion, mas konti talaga ang nakakalikot sa HK because they don't have the multitude of DSP effects that are available on Yamaha's.

Main difference between the two I think would be setting the crossover frequency points, with Yamaha it's a global configuration. With the HK it's individual per speaker. And in my opinion mas better yung sa Yamaha since all speakers will be limited at the same common crossover rather than the HK which will cause imbalance in the sound. I honestly can't imagine the sound for example if you have 60Hz for your fronts, 80Hz for your center and 120Hz for your rears.

Sometimes sa brand loyalty na rin yan nagkakatalo but if I could do it all over again, I would sell my HK (actually binebenta ko nga to either get a Marantz or Yamaha) and get a Yamaha. ;D

+1... yup yup sarap kalikutin ng 663 dami kang options setting your sound preference.

Mas bagay ang tunog sa combination na Yamaha & Wharfedale.

Sir dhoZe, wag kanang magdalawang isip go for 663 na and wharfe 9! very gud combination!  ;D ;D ;D

Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline jeppoy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 08:34 AM »
how about mission + yamaha?
ok ba combination?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 09:13 AM »

No.  Mission + HK ang mas OK.

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #88 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
ok ba combination?

Mission M70 series ang ok with Yamaha. But I prefer to combi with KEF KHT.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 12:33 PM »
ok ba combination?

mission + onkyo, oks na combo din.