Author Topic: Do you need a UPS for projectors?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline es

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Do you need a UPS for projectors?
« on: Mar 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM »
Hi all,

Got some projector-UPS questions...

1. If I buy a projector, do I need to buy a UPS too to protect the lamp? My concern is when we have brownouts.

2. I also read that the low-cost PC-use UPSs are not suitable. You need true sine wave output, is this true?

3. Why not just use an external fan, connect that to a regular UPS so that when the power goes out, it will ventilate the projector through it's vents?

Thanks!

Offline taurus_cute

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Do you need a UPS for projectors?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM »
LET me answer. A UPS is not essential for a non-CRT front projector. The minimum power "back-up" or requirement is a 1,500watts (at least) AVR or voltage regulator. My AVR unit is rated at 1,500w and costs around P3,200 from Deeco in Quiapo. AVR at best protects your projector from current spikes, saving you thousands in case the projector lamp is fatally impacted. AVR could not be lightly recommended because I myself had a CRT front projector victimized by a spike, rendering the red tube (which contains oil or lens lube) damaged, it resulted in ugly red blotches that the projector beams into your screen.

If only I had helped out the CRT with the AVR, the three tubes could have died a slow but natural death instead of being hastened to uselessness because of a treacherous and split-second current surge. You need at least 1,500w so that there's still room for the sound processor, DVD and Blu Ray players.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 10:57 AM »
I think a UPS for an LCD projector is a must if you are experiencing frequent power failures or blackouts in your area.  Remember that the lamp should be properly cooled down to maximize its life.  Sudden shutdowns from unexpected power failures would result to improper powering off of your PJs.  UPS would give your unit that back up power to properly turn off your PJ.

Quoted from Cocoboy's post:

Power on/off

The projector should powered down correctly using the controls on the projector or the remote control.
The mains supply must not be removed until the fans have stopped and the projector has returned to its standby mode. Failure to follow this procedure will almost certainly result in lamp failure.
Generally, a projector will operate more efficiently if it is powered on during the time that it is expected to be in use. Powering on and off every 30 minutes or so can reduce the expected lamp life. It should also be noted that a period of approx 10 minutes should elapse before the projector is powered on again.

Temperature Related Lamp Failure.
It is very important to shut down the projector correctly after use.
When the “power off” command is given, the lamp extinguishes, however, the fans continue to run until the lamp has cooled sufficiently. The mains supply must not be disconnected until the projector has returned to its standby condition. If the mains supply is disconnected before the lamp has cooled, then the lamp glass temperature will rise to point where failure of the lamp is probable.

The following describes why temperature related failure occurs.

Two factors that will always result in high lamp glass temperatures are the non-adherence to correct shut down procedures, and blocked or partially blocked air filters. It is essential that the projector is shut down properly after use in order to allow the cooling fans to reduce the lamp temperature sufficiently. The hottest part of a working lamp is the strike stem containing two electrodes. If the airflow over the lamp is in any way restricted, temperatures around the strike chamber will rise sufficiently to soften the glass. The usual consequence of this is that the pressurised strike chamber balloons outwards at its weakest point, producing a bulge or swelling in the stem. The stem itself is often pulled off its axis, effectively in moving the strike area away from the focal point of the reflector. This manifests as a reduced level of brightness to the displayed image. Elevated temperatures can also generate micro-cracks in the stem, allowing the ingress of air into what should be a vacuum. The micro-cracks grow rapidly, and after a very short time, the integrity of the structure is compromised and the stem shatters. Any mains voltage interruption or power cut, however momentary, will produce similar results to those outlined above.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 06:07 PM »
I think a UPS for an LCD projector is a must if you are experiencing frequent power failures or blackouts in your area.  Remember that the lamp should be properly cooled down to maximize its life.  Sudden shutdowns from unexpected power failures would result to improper powering off of your PJs.  UPS would give your unit that back up power to properly turn off your PJ.

+1

sa akin nakasaksak ang UPS sa 1,500w AVR  ;)

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009 at 05:48 AM »
Yes, you need UPS. Bulb needs to cool down before total shutdown. In case of brownout thats not possible. Kaya go UPS!  :D

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009 at 02:16 PM »
Hi all,

1. If I buy a projector, do I need to buy a UPS too to protect the lamp? My concern is when we have brownouts.

2. I also read that the low-cost PC-use UPSs are not suitable. You need true sine wave output, is this true?

3. Why not just use an external fan, connect that to a regular UPS so that when the power goes out, it will ventilate the projector through it's vents?

Thanks!

UPS main Idea is for saving data on your computers, they give you time to properly shutdown your computers.
Projectors are run by High Intensity Bulbs. The truth, the only problem with improperly shutdown PJ is the waiting time. You need to cool down the bulb completely before powering them again (if you want to prolong the bulb life)

That's the thing about proper cooling down of the PJ (features), this is to make SURE that when you turn them-ON Again the bulb is already cool. (fool proof idea).

Another one, frequent On & Off of the PJ reduced the life expectancy of the bulb.
What you need is a a good AVR with time delayswitch.

UPS may help as long as it has bigger capacity enough for your PJ power, but it won't be necessary for a PJ
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009 at 02:22 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009 at 02:27 PM »
Yes, you need UPS. Bulb needs to cool down before total shutdown. In case of brownout thats not possible. Kaya go UPS!  :D

The reason why there is a cooling down of the bulb before you turn-OFF is to avoid turning ON them again if the bulb is still hot. It's a fool proof features done by manufacturers just in case you want to turn-ON them again.

Turning ON the PJ bulb while it still hot will greatly reduced the life expectancy of the bulb.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009 at 08:30 AM »
The reason why there is a cooling down of the bulb before you turn-OFF is to avoid turning ON them again if the bulb is still hot. It's a fool proof features done by manufacturers just in case you want to turn-ON them again.

Turning ON the PJ bulb while it still hot will greatly reduced the life expectancy of the bulb.

hmmm... interesting sir odyopayl, so does this mean that technically you dont need a ups for those brownout moments since you will not be able to turn the pj on again anyway, or is it really needed so that the blower can cool the bulb faster before shutting down?  ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM »
at the price of UPS today, i guess it isn't a big issue to get one. anyway, pj's may not really need those full sine wave UPS'es. line interactive will do.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline Theoden

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 09:53 PM »
how do you guys put UPS kung ceiling mount and projector?  ???

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM »
how do you guys put UPS kung ceiling mount and projector?  ???

My pj is ceiling mounted and it has a power socket at the ceiling. The power socket has a long wire hidden in the ceiling and imbedded in the sidewall and its plug comes out from the junction of the floor and the sidewall and plugged to the UPS. 

I think you need an electrician to do this though.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a UPS.

And I was just wondering what is the difference of UPS to a AVR besides protecting your gears from sudden brown outs.
Do I still need an AVR if I already have a UPS?

Experts please expound the differences and benefits of each contraption. TIA

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 01:39 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a UPS.

And I was just wondering what is the difference of UPS to a AVR besides protecting your gears from sudden brown outs.
Do I still need an AVR if I already have a UPS?

Experts please expound the differences and benefits of each contraption. TIA

not an expert, but ups usually doubles as surge protection component. but defnitely no voltage regulation, so in my case:

outlet --> avr --> ups --> PJ

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 01:54 PM »
yes you need it ;)

IMHO outlet>ups>pj.   UPS way better than avr, only problem is the price :(

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 02:46 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks!

Sir ... #1. you do not necessarily need a UPS to protect your projector bulb, you just  have to make sure that the bulb cools down properly before using it again ... #2. you also do not a true sine wave output UPS - you only need those type of UPS for the large equipment that employs AC motors - most computer equipment and appliances nowadays use DC fans ... #3. the use of an external fan, even a standard electric fan could aso effectively cool down the bulb if the projector is inadvertently powered-off - if you're buying UPS anyway, better connect the projector instead of the external fan, because the internal fan of the projector can cool the bulb more efficiently
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 05:26 PM »
^ Thanks guys  ;D
Your inputs are all valuable.

Still waiting for an expert advice  :)

Offline DonMiguel85

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 05:39 PM »
A UPS can usually double as an AVR na rin. But it's cool because it will provide power for a few minutes in case of a brownout. Especially useful for desktop PCs.
Beware though because UPS's are usually pretty expensive and you need to get sufficient wattage for your connected appliances.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 07:17 PM »
this would be just fine for PJ duties.  
P2,500 lang (or less pa).

AVR na rin kasi this has 180-260V range for 230V output.
with minimal filtering and surge protection na din.
when not used for the pj, you can plug in your pc or laptop too.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009 at 07:19 PM by gearhead000 »

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 07:31 PM »
ang 500 watts po na ups pwede na sa projector? :) salamat po..

Offline DonMiguel85

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 07:37 PM »

pwede na yan. Pero for a high-end PC or lots of audio/video gear you might need at least 1 Kilowatt.

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 07:39 PM »
Thanks Sir DonMiguel :)

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 07:44 PM »

it's actually a 500VA/300W AVR. PJ's naman are only about 220W max, just like the PT-AX200u... and it is one of the high lumen models already. i think it is still much more practical if you just buy another unit if you want to also use a UPS for other equipment. otherwise, as i've said one unit can do multiple duties if they are in close proximity lang naman. of course, you can't use everything simultaneously unless you upgrade to a higher capacity.

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 08:30 AM »
this would be just fine for PJ duties.  
P2,500 lang (or less pa).

AVR na rin kasi this has 180-260V range for 230V output.
with minimal filtering and surge protection na din.
when not used for the pj, you can plug in your pc or laptop too.

Brader Gearhead

Where is this available? thanks

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM »
villman has it: APC Back-UPS ES 500VA @ Villman

but i'm sure you can go to most computer stores (pc options, silicon valley, etc) and ask for the APC BE500-PH.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 02:49 PM »
^ Thanks guys  ;D
Your inputs are all valuable.

Still waiting for an expert advice  :)

Expert advice? yung kay bro raptor dead- on na  ;D You need it just in case may power fluctuations or outages for the bulb to cool down properly. ups- php2,500 vs. Bulb/lamp php20,000

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 02:59 PM »
Expert advice? yung kay bro raptor dead- on na  ;D You need it just in case may power fluctuations or outages for the bulb to cool down properly. ups- php2,500 vs. Bulb/lamp php20,000

I dont own a projector and I never observed how the projectors in our meeting rooms behave.  So question mga Bros, the bulb requires "rapid" cooldown before the projector power supply is totally cut-off?  Thanks.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 03:20 PM »
I dont own a projector and I never observed how the projectors in our meeting rooms behave.  So question mga Bros, the bulb requires "rapid" cooldown before the projector power supply is totally cut-off?  Thanks.

Not necessarily rapid cool down bro, it just needs to finish its cool down cycle after you turn it off depending on its operating temp.Users would notice that even during operation 2 fans are actually working to cool down the lamp(1- air in/1- air out). Kaya pag nagkaroon ng fluctuations or outages hindi na nacocool down yung lamp. Btw Each pj has its own time to cool down properly. Ive also noticed presentation pjs has faster cool down time(some units does not even have cool down cycles :D) compared to ht pjs, so immedaitely after turning it off you can actually unplug it with out worrying of cooling down ;)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 03:29 PM »
Not necessarily rapid cool down bro, it just needs to finish its cool down cycle after you turn it off depending on its operating temp.Users would notice that even during operation 2 fans are actually working to cool down the lamp(1- air in/1- air out). Kaya pag nagkaroon ng fluctuations or outages hindi na nacocool down yung lamp. Btw Each pj has its own time to cool down properly. Ive also noticed presentation pjs has faster cool down time(some units does not even have cool down cycles :D) compared to ht pjs, so immedaitely after turning it off you can actually unplug it with out worrying of cooling down ;)

my benq w500 cools down around 3-4 minutes after lamp shut down. so, after pj is shut you could hear the fans still hard at work for 3-4 minutes. then it stops.  :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 03:48 PM »
Thanks for the enlightenment Bros.  So it would bad for the lamp to let it naturally cooldown for a longer time (in case of power outage) as opposed to the preset minutes of high fan-cooling under normal shutdown sequence?

Yeah we just operate our presentation PJs without any restraints.   ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 04:01 PM »
some say too fast a cooldown can be bad, too. that's why there is a designed cooldown timer already for these pj's, whether for HT or business use. never seen one where it doesn't go through a cooling off period after a soft power down. the thing with these lamps are that they are in an enclosed space and so the temp can continue to rise after powering off if residual heat isn't evacuated first.

It is well known that projectors, and particularly projector lamps, become very hot in operation, due to the heat generated by the lamps during operation. It has long been known that longer life in such devices can be achieved by providing for improved controlled cool-down after operation, and that such cool-down time can be enhanced by running a cooling fan after the light source has been switched off. Otherwise, when the cooling fan is turned off simultaneously with the light source, residual heat is not quickly dissipated and the temperature can briefly rise to a level that can damage the lamp and shorten its useful service life compared to properly using the cooling fan until the lamp is sufficiently cooled. This can also shorten the service life of the electronic componentry for essentially the same reasons.