Author Topic: Buying HT in the US  (Read 870 times)

Offline remleseyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buying HT in the US
« on: Aug 07, 2009 at 11:14 PM »
I'd like to seek advice from the folks here at PinoyDVD...

I'm currently in the US but will return soon to the Philippines.  I'm thinking of purchasing an Onkyo AVR and speakers here since they cost around 30-40% cheaper.  However aside from the hassle of shipping them back, my concern is that the AVR and the powered sub will all be powered with 120V 60Hz.  Do you think it is advisable to still purchase such high powered devices here and just plug them through a big step-down transformer?  Or perhaps just purchase speakers here and then purchase the AVR and sub there.  I'd truly appreciate your expert advice/opinion.  Thanks! 

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Buying HT in the US
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 11:19 PM »
In my experience, a reliable automatic voltage regulator is all you need to take care of stepping down 220v to 110v.

My Yamaha RX-V663/Harman Kardon AVR-144 receivers and Elemental Designs A2-300/tSc ASW-10 subwoofers are all 110v since they were sourced from the US. Infinity Primus speakers were also purchased from the US since I wanted them to come with black grills instead of the locally available silver.

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 11:42 PM »
In my experience, a reliable automatic voltage regulator is all you need to take care of stepping down 220v to 110v.

My Yamaha RX-V663/Harman Kardon AVR-144 receivers and Elemental Designs A2-300/tSc ASW-10 subwoofers are all 110v since they were sourced from the US. Infinity Primus speakers were also purchased from the US since I wanted them to come with black grills instead of the locally available silver.
+1 reliable voltage regulator ang katapat nyan. ;)
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline remleseyer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 01:03 AM »
Thanks guys!  Yung mga nabibiling voltage regulator sa computer stores good enough na ba yun?  Where did you buy your voltage regulator?  Meron kasi akong voltage regulator pero alam ko 500watts capacity lang yun.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 01:36 AM »
You can buy one from a reputable seller here at PinoyDVD. TheaterWorks, SnS, DOM, etc.

If you know your way around Raon, you can definitely find one cheaper but if you don't then these people/stores mentioned above can help you.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 07:53 AM »
The thing with onkyo receivers, and you can see this in their manuals, is that impedance generally ranges from 4-16 ohms.  The exception is in the US and Taiwan wherein their impedance is 6 to 16 ohms.  I don't know if this is the instance for all AVRs.  I've tried to look for Denon, but I couldn't find a Denon manual I could download.

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 12:53 PM »
Bro  mahina yun avr na ginagamit sa pc considering you will plug your receiver & sub.
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline remleseyer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 04:45 PM »
The thing with onkyo receivers, and you can see this in their manuals, is that impedance generally ranges from 4-16 ohms.  The exception is in the US and Taiwan wherein their impedance is 6 to 16 ohms.  I don't know if this is the instance for all AVRs.  I've tried to look for Denon, but I couldn't find a Denon manual I could download.
Should I be concerned of the difference?  The speakers I'm planning to buy all have 8ohms impedance, so I guess match naman.

Bro  mahina yun avr na ginagamit sa pc considering you will plug your receiver & sub.
Yup as I suspected, kaya I thought initially na baka kailangan ko high capacity transformers, pero if there are good quality AVRs out there na kaya siguro at least 1000watts, better siguro yun.  What I'm planning to buy is yung TX-SR607 which is rated at 90W per channel and it has 7 channels, tapos yung powered sub is rated at 230W, so total nun around 860W.

You can buy one from a reputable seller here at PinoyDVD. TheaterWorks, SnS, DOM, etc.

If you know your way around Raon, you can definitely find one cheaper but if you don't then these people/stores mentioned above can help you.
Sige I'll check there when I get back.  Thanks!

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:12 PM »
Should I be concerned of the difference?  The speakers I'm planning to buy all have 8ohms impedance, so I guess match naman.

No not really.  Bought a Denon for a really really cheap price.  Even with shipping from one of our resident sellers, I think I saved more than 30%.  Malaki yan considering these AVRs aren't cheap.