Author Topic: recommended T-Amps  (Read 22793 times)

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
Re: recommended T-Amps
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 09:02 PM »
would a t-amp and an integrated amp on the same volume have similar power consumption? would a good t-amp have a similar sound quality as an entry level end integrated amp (marantz, onkyo etc)? i won't be playing loud music

using the meralco app in my blackberry, the cost of running an amp at 50w used 8 hours every day will only cost you P134.76 for the entire month. For the level of enjoyment you are gonna get when you play your music, 134 bucks is peanuts. The volume at 50w on my CA 550A is already quite loud, anything louder than that will either destroy my eardrums or my sanity  >:D
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2012 at 09:04 PM by sientobente »

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 09:16 PM »
Quote from: royc
would a t-amp and an integrated amp on the same volume have similar power consumption? would a good t-amp have a similar sound quality as an entry level end integrated amp (marantz, onkyo etc)? i won't be playing loud music
SOUND QUALITY?  Better to AB comparison a tripath amp with a vintage SS amp of your choice.  As for me, not all tripath amps are alike.  IF Tripath chip 2024 and 2020 amp will be used vs. vintage SS amp like Marantz, using a 30 watts - 50 watts fullrange or vintage speakers, I will vote for tripath chip 2024 and 2020.  I've tested it several times with my Audio Nirvana Fullrange speakers. The SS only advantage is the bass region including midbass and not to forget dynamics.  But I already solved that issue with the tripath.  Just concentrate on tweaking power supply and all related to it.  Clean and stable power is the secret of high end gears such as Bob Carver, Mark Levinson, Macintosh.  If you have a very good clean and stable power supply, you will have fatter bass, detailed mid and bigger soundstage. It's not only about replacing the power caps. It's about using the proper bypass caps to have a clean and stable power.   If you will study the types of capacitors and their characteristics and usage, you can create your own favorite bypass caps that can help to have a clean and stable power supply similar to those high end SS amps I mentioned.  "Similar but not the same."

Edrel Sison the transformer man, created an Isolated Transformer that gives stable and clean power supply.  When you use his transformer, for example you plug in your AVR to his Isolated Transformer, your audio gears that are plugged in to your AVR will have an amazing result in soundstage, details...the overall SQ.  You can PM Edrel and he can explain to you its details.  Even his friends with high end gears bought his isolated transformer because they were surprised that their high end gears still has improvement when they plugged in their AVR to the isolated transformer. :)

That's why I concluded that the secret of good quality audio gears with good SQ depends on clean and stable power supply.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012 at 05:55 AM by monreq »
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline royc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2012 at 06:20 AM »
using the meralco app in my blackberry, the cost of running an amp at 50w used 8 hours every day will only cost you P134.76 for the entire month. For the level of enjoyment you are gonna get when you play your music, 134 bucks is peanuts. The volume at 50w on my CA 550A is already quite loud, anything louder than that will either destroy my eardrums or my sanity  >:D

Interesting. Yes P134 is a small amount to pay for the enjoyment I will get :-)

However, the marantz amps that I see in the ads lately have stated power consumption way beyond 50W which worries me. Like right now there's an ad for an SR4500 but the rated power consumption is 314W. Perhaps I should look for other brands?

Yeah I'll probably play at maximum 30W. If I want to party I can always use my 200W powered speaker :-)

iPod Nano 3G + FiiO L11 LOD + Marantz PM44 SE + Diamond 10.1

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2012 at 06:40 AM »
SOUND QUALITY?  Better to AB comparison a tripath amp with a vintage SS amp of your choice.  As for me, not all tripath amps are alike.  IF Tripath chip 2024 and 2020 amp will be used vs. vintage SS amp like Marantz, using a 30 watts - 50 watts fullrange or vintage speakers, I will vote for tripath chip 2024 and 2020. 

Can I be specific? I'm considering the Topping TP22 which supposedly have high quality components. On the other hand I'm looking at used entry level Marantzs in the ads.

1. I read somewhere that entry level amps don't have high quality components. Does it mean that on paper, the TP22 will have better sound quality?

2. By next year I plan to upgrade the speakers (will initially use 8 ohm speakers from an old Pioneer mini component) and is looking at Polk RTi A1 which has a rating of 20-125W but as per your explanation this will push the amp beyond its limit. I don't see the same problem with the Marantz.

It appears that if I want to get the TP22 I have to find speakers that have lower nominal wattage but have high sensitivity. Most of the speakers I see in the ads, however, have specs similar to the A1.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2012 at 07:00 AM »
Whether it is entry level integrated amplifier or a T-amp as long as it is from a reputable company, I do not see any issue with the components. They are typically of high quality. The only difference probably is that higher end models have better tolerance components eg entry level = 5%, mid level = 2.5%, high level = 1%.

I do not see any issue with using 100W amplifier if you are using it around 2-4 hours everyday. I was using a Hafler DH-220 which has input power exceeding 500W and it only added around Php 300-400 to my monthly electricity bill (other people spend more money elsewhere). I don't think it is such a big deal. Except for the Muse M21 EX2 which I use here in China all my other amplifiers are integrated amplifiers. I only considered the T-amp because an integrated amplifier would be too heavy for me specially since I will not be living permanently here.

Integrated amplifiers not only excel in bass and dynamics. There are other areas where they excel in. I have several vintage integrated amplifiers and I have heard many kinds of T-amps here in Shenzhen and I still personally prefer my vintage integrated amplifiers (medyo naswerte kasi ako at nakakuha ako ng magagandang int amp).

Getting a speaker to satisfy the requirements of a T-amp is not as easy there in the Philippines as here in Shenzhen. You can literally buy your T-amp and then walk a few meters and buy a fully assembled or branded high sensitivity speaker whether it be 4in or 8in etc. There, you will have to go through the motions of ordering or having a high sensitivity speaker made to your specifications and then waiting for it to be completed. That is unless you find a person selling a used one - not as easy as it looks.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012 at 07:29 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 30, 2012 at 09:09 AM »
@royc,

wag ka masindak sa wattage ng speakers, no meaning yan.......yung sensitivity ang imporatante, 90db or better....

no matter what you read here, the best thing to do is to audition, see if you can be happy with what you hear, bring cd's that are familiar to you and then decide, otherwise baka mauwi rin agad sa bentahan after na magsawa ka...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 30, 2012 at 09:17 AM »
Can I be specific? I'm considering the Topping TP22 which supposedly have high quality components. On the other hand I'm looking at used entry level Marantzs in the ads.

1. I read somewhere that entry level amps don't have high quality components. Does it mean that on paper, the TP22 will have better sound quality?

2. By next year I plan to upgrade the speakers (will initially use 8 ohm speakers from an old Pioneer mini component) and is looking at Polk RTi A1 which has a rating of 20-125W but as per your explanation this will push the amp beyond its limit. I don't see the same problem with the Marantz.

It appears that if I want to get the TP22 I have to find speakers that have lower nominal wattage but have high sensitivity. Most of the speakers I see in the ads, however, have specs similar to the A1.
If you are looking for dynamics...go for a Solid State Amp. But if you don't have a big budget and you want to hear quality music depth, details, soundstage go for Tripath Amp particularly TP22, and others like TP10 and SMSL SA 36A.  Good quality parts is a good reference for good sound quality, but not as good as having a good clean and stable power supply in the amp.  There are lots of good quality parts of amplifiers there, but they sound thin. 

Regarding the speakers, yes it's proper to choose low wattage high sensitivity speakers like 94db up.  Unless, you have a small room and listen to music moderately, this will not be an issue.

I tested a Klipsch RF 7 (high wattage, high 97db up sensitivity) with Topping TP10, it has kick, dynamics and of course very good details and soundstage.  But the dynamics with 50 watter and high sensitivity speakers is more dynamic and easy to drive by Topping TP 10.  If you have a low wattage speakers and your amp has low wattage, you will have high head room that avoids clipping, in case you accidentally pump up the volume.  Klipsch RF 7 kicks with Topping TP 10, but the head room is limited due to its wattage.  When you push  the Topping TP 10 to 10 o'clock volume, it will distort.  But with the 50 watter speakers, distortion comes after 3 o'clock volume.  Topping TP 10 has low gain vol.pot, that is why I can go up to 3 o'clock.  Likewise the Topping TP22 also has a low gain vol.pot for higher head room to avoid accidental clipping.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012 at 09:29 AM by monreq »
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 06:42 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Will keep them in mind when I make my decision on what amp and speakers to get :-)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM »
wag padala sa sulsol.....;D makinig na mabuti, pag happy ang ears mo, yon na yon.....;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 01:07 PM »
wag padala sa sulsol.....;D makinig na mabuti, pag happy ang ears mo, yon na yon.....;D

yups that's what i'll probably do--hear the difference although it would depend on the speakers used for the demo. Sa totoo lang back to square one ako after reading the comments. Im now open to a tripath and integrated amp although mas madaming avr sa ads :-)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 02:19 PM »
yups that's what i'll probably do--hear the difference although it would depend on the speakers used for the demo. Sa totoo lang back to square one ako after reading the comments. Im now open to a tripath and integrated amp although mas madaming avr sa ads :-)
Correct.  Importante you have an idea, or reference.  Mahirap kasi kapag wala kang reference, mataas ang probability magkamali ka.  Kasi sa pagbili iyong nagbebenta may sales talk yan.  Kung wala kang idea or reference, patay kang bata ka.  Remember, iba ang tunog sa acoustically treated room.  Kahit di ganun kaganda ang SQ gumaganda kapag naka acoustically treated room. 

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 02:33 PM »
haha!!! since you are back to square one, mang sulsol lang ako!!! joke lang TonyT. hehehe!!!  I just want to have a comment lang, "A well matched up gear beats a super expensive unmatched gear everytime!"  which means if you are considering a t-amp, you should have a matched speaker with it, with at least 92-94db for you to fully enjoy your gears, if you will only be using speakers like Rti A1 (which is a very nice speaker), you should choose dta-100a or at least an smsl-sa36a, but i think it will not be able to drive them loud, so i suggest you should go with some hi end vintage integrated amps or brand new integrated amps.  I recommend that you bring your speakers to the hifi store and try it with a T-amp or with an integrated amp. bottom line kung anong tama sa panlasa mo eh dun ka. for stereo/music, its way better if you will settle with a T-amp or an integrated amp rather than an avr, unless you are planning to use it for Home theater.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2012 at 02:36 PM by shrek7 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 02:56 PM »
aba....wala akong sinabi na hindi pwedeng manulsol.....;D pwede naman, pero ung owner ang may last say on the matter.....;D

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 02:59 PM »
aba....wala akong sinabi na hindi pwedeng manulsol.....;D pwede naman, pero ung owner ang may last say on the matter.....;D
hehehe!!! +100

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 03:29 PM »
Hala dinagdagan pagpipilian ko hehe. Eto observation ko so far:

1. Maganda ang t-amp pero mahirap maghanap ng matching speakers sa ads.
2. Maganda ang integrated amp pero bihirang may offer sa ads.
3. Madaming vintage amps pero baka kailangan nang palitan ang terminals at caps

Due to my limited budget i will start with the amp this year then speakers next year. Gamitin ko muna yung speakers ng old pioneer mini component ko. By that time i should be able to hear the difference pag nag upgrade ng speakers. Yung rti a1 choice ko lang based sa mga nakikita ko sa ads and is not final. Will use the amp only for music at moderate volumes in a 25 sqm room.

Enjoying this thread coz im learning a lot from the gurus. Thanks!

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 06:07 PM »
wow! 25sqm room! ang laki! sarap makinig ng music dyan! at kung ganyan kalaki ang room ko, I will definitely buy 12 inch fullrange speakers!

i would just like to post a video of my very very humble set up powered by a T-amp, though I have a solid state amp and an onkyo avr, I still prefer T-amp because it is matched with the sensitivity of the speakers, which can play really loud when I want to, without compression. But I miss the sound of my SET amp that I sold last year and my el84 amp (w/c i also sold) that puts me to sleep during sleepless nights.

walang kokontra  ;D    >:D

cheapipay na set up- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZ6bbhsdwo&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2012 at 06:10 PM by shrek7 »

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 07:37 PM »
wow! 25sqm room! ang laki! sarap makinig ng music dyan! at kung ganyan kalaki ang room ko, I will definitely buy 12 inch fullrange speakers!

i would just like to post a video of my very very humble set up powered by a T-amp, though I have a solid state amp and an onkyo avr, I still prefer T-amp because it is matched with the sensitivity of the speakers, which can play really loud when I want to, without compression. But I miss the sound of my SET amp that I sold last year and my el84 amp (w/c i also sold) that puts me to sleep during sleepless nights.

walang kokontra  ;D    >:D

cheapipay na set up- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZ6bbhsdwo&feature=plcp
Mahilig ka talga sa bold.  Tignan mo ang audio gears mo puro naka topless.  Napaghahalataan ka bro.  Pero nice SQ.

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 07:42 PM »
Mahilig ka talga sa bold.  Tignan mo ang audio gears mo puro naka topless.  Napaghahalataan ka bro.  Pero nice SQ.
huli mo ako dun! Sarap kasi kpag topless

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 09:13 PM »
Ano gamit mo?

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 31, 2012 at 09:22 PM »
Ano gamit mo?
smsl sa36a lang sir na kita ang cleavage.

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 07:59 AM »

Anong speakers? Celfone gamit ko to watch kagabi ang liit ng screen akala ko ang daming floor standanders wall design pala :D

Wish may ganyan akong kalaking open space isisingit ko lang yung gamit ko sa tabi tabi. May nakita ako sa mall kahapon parang tsi 300 ang model maliit na floor stander parang bagay sa room di ko lang alam kung kaya ng t-amp i drive

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 08:36 AM »
Anong speakers? Celfone gamit ko to watch kagabi ang liit ng screen akala ko ang daming floor standanders wall design pala :D

Wish may ganyan akong kalaking open space isisingit ko lang yung gamit ko sa tabi tabi. May nakita ako sa mall kahapon parang tsi 300 ang model maliit na floor stander parang bagay sa room di ko lang alam kung kaya ng t-amp i drive
i suggest you watch it in a laptop or a pc with quality earphones or headphones kaso cell cam lang kasi ang gamit ko kaya pangit ang video. Maliit rin lang yung room ko, its 10ft by 12ft. Tsi 300 is a very nice speaker, if im not mistaken eh mga 90-91db sya, kayang kaya sya ng dta100a, pero personally kung mahilig ka sa polk audio, and you want to have a speaker for music alone, i suggest you look for rti a4. Hanap ka rin ng klipsch, very sensitive kasi ang mga speakers na to, kaya madaling hanapan ng kapartner na amp. Yung speakers ko kasi eh fullrange kaya it can play loud kahit 15-20 watts lang ang gamit ko na amp.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012 at 08:41 AM by shrek7 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 09:51 AM »

Ano ba itong mga salita na ito? Puwede mo ba ipadala sa aking email iyung video mo? Naka block kasi iyung youtube dito eh. Gusto ko rin makita iyung topless at cleavage ... hehehe
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012 at 09:51 AM by rascal101 »

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 11:17 AM »
Ano ba itong mga salita na ito? Puwede mo ba ipadala sa aking email iyung video mo? Naka block kasi iyung youtube dito eh. Gusto ko rin makita iyung topless at cleavage ... hehehe
brader, paki pm naman ng email add mo. medyo malaki kasi yung video, mga 100+mb :)

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 11:51 AM »
eto lang yun bro, simpleng set up lang

brader royc, sorry bka out of topic na ako....  ::)
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012 at 07:35 AM by shrek7 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 01:26 PM »
brader, paki pm naman ng email add mo. medyo malaki kasi yung video, mga 100+mb :)

Hindi rin pala uubra sa email ko. Sana gumana na iyung unblock software para marinig ko rin :)
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012 at 01:53 PM by rascal101 »

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 01, 2012 at 06:25 PM »
Malaking tulong talaga kapag quality iyong external DAC na gagamitin with tripath kahit Topping TP10 lang.  Kumapal at lumaki soundstage.  Parang naka mid end vintage Sony CDP ako.  Galing!

Offline royc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 08:01 AM »
Malapit na ang bonus kailangan ko na magdecide:D

Wala akong mapiling integrated amp sa ads puro avr so malamang t-amp na. Malapit lang sa amin ang what hifi so first to audition ang dayton 100a. May stores ba selling topping tp22 para ma audition?

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #58 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 10:27 PM »

Wala akong mapiling integrated amp sa ads puro avr so malamang t-amp na. Malapit lang sa amin ang what hifi so first to audition ang dayton 100a. May stores ba selling topping tp22 para ma audition?

ayun malapit lang pala kayo kina rex, i suggest dun mo icompare yung t-amp and integrated amp. he has both plus avrs.

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 12:04 AM »

bihira talaga magpakawala ng int amp/SS/power amp sa MP.meron man unahan pa yan sa pila.kung may budget sa brand new dun ka na.kung wala, for the meantime tamp is good.tapos abang abang na lang sa MP
Primum Nil Nocere