Author Topic: The Truth About Component Video Cables  (Read 44945 times)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Truth About Component Video Cables
« Reply #60 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 08:15 AM »
hi,

which Ace hardware has the 6 ft s-video? i went to mega mall and all they had was the 25 ft

thanks
money is best spent

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 09:53 AM »
;D ;D ;D

6ft na lang yung available which goes for P295.  yung 3 ft out of stock na.  been to three branches ng Ace so far wala talaga.  I hope you have better luck getting one.

thanks guys.  i was able to find some at sm makati's hardware shop.  i bought 2 pcs. of 1.5 meters s-video for 180 bucks.  marami pa silang 3 meters duon.

thanks again.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #62 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 10:27 AM »
Enjoy bro. ehehehe ;D
Walang Setup

Offline stradale

• Collector
  • It's better to burn out than to fade away.
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 10:01 PM »
Dang, I wore my stupid hat today and bought myself a pair of 700++ peso component video cables at Radio Shack only to find out that my 25" Sony Wega aint got no component video in. :'(

I installed one component video cable from the DVD to the AVR and an S-video cable from the AVR to the TV and the darn thing won't work.

Anybody in the market for a couple of gold tipped Radio Shack compo-video cables? ;D

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Oct 31, 2002 at 05:39 PM »
Went looking for an S-Video cable today at MegaMall and Shangrila.  At Ace, the only decent SVC there was around 500 bucks, but it was 30 feet long.  Now, what am I gonna do with an S-video cable that's 30 feet when my DVD player sits right next to my television set and my receiver.  There was nothing else.

I did come across a composite to s-video cable costing around P1100.  Too costly for comfort.  But this got me to wondering.....composite to S-video?  I'm no guru, so I wouldn't know if this makes sense.  Would anybody know?
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2002 at 05:39 PM by groucho »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Oct 31, 2002 at 06:45 PM »
I did come across a composite to s-video cable costing around P1100.  Too costly for comfort.  But this got me to wondering.....composite to S-video?  I'm no guru, so I wouldn't know if this makes sense.  Would anybody know?

according to another thread here, it just makes it physically possible to connect your composite out vhs/dvd to the s-video in of your reciver/tv

but you will not get the benefits of using an actual s-video
money is best spent

Offline monch

• Apprentice
  • what's up doc ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 11:47 AM »
I did a little adjustment on the personal settings of my TV using my "Home Theater Set-up Disc" as guide and voila, I am now enjoying the video quality of using digital component video cables! Hehe! ;D

Hi nirvblakr ... i also recently switched to digital component inputs and got the same problem of having agressive red colors in the video displays ... maybe you can help me on the video adjustments you just made. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance !  :D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #67 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 11:48 AM »
monch- Try doing this first:

1. Try to twist the goldplated male terminals of your digital cables while inserting it to the female terminals of your DVD player and your TV

2.  Make sure that the terminals of your cables are pushed all the way to the female terminals of your DVD player and TV.

3.  If you still encounter the same problem, try to twist the digital cables.  Kasi virgin pa ang mga yan at kelangan eh maganda ang contact ng male sa female. Gets?  Hehe!

4.  Then you adjust the video settings of your TV to your own liking and also the video settings of your DVD player.

Enjoy pre!

nirvblakr

Offline monch

• Apprentice
  • what's up doc ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 11:20 AM »
monch- Try doing this first:

1. Try to twist the goldplated male terminals of your digital cables while inserting it to the female terminals of your DVD player and your TV

2.  Make sure that the terminals of your cables are pushed all the way to the female terminals of your DVD player and TV.

3.  If you still encounter the same problem, try to twist the digital cables.  Kasi virgin pa ang mga yan at kelangan eh maganda ang contact ng male sa female. Gets?  Hehe!

4.  Then you adjust the video settings of your TV to your own liking and also the video settings of your DVD player.

Enjoy pre!

nirvblakr

nirvblakr ... thanks for the candid information, pre ... good day ! :)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2002 at 11:21 AM by monch »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 02:32 PM »
K!  No prob!

Offline pixel8

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 03:47 PM »
Went looking for an S-Video cable today at MegaMall and Shangrila.  At Ace, the only decent SVC there was around 500 bucks, but it was 30 feet long.  Now, what am I gonna do with an S-video cable that's 30 feet when my DVD player sits right next to my television set and my receiver.  There was nothing else.

You can get a 1.5m S-video cable from SM appliance center in Megamall for less than 100 bucks.

Offline pixel8

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Nov 18, 2002 at 08:47 AM »
I was able to get a pack of 3 gold plated-tipped RCA cables (thick as coax) at DEECO in RAON for less than 100 pesos. So far, picture quality is superb. :)   Brand name is HORATA.

Offline xlr8

• Collector
  • Faster than a speeding cow!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Nov 20, 2002 at 10:45 PM »
Just came from ACE Hardware and I don't know what to get. Here are my choices:

1. Triple RCA video cable; PhP495.00; all cables are black; cables are labeled as Audio, audio and video;gold connectors; 6 ft long; 75 ohm

2. RGB component video cable; PhP295.00; red, blue and green cables; gold connectors; 6ft long; 75 ohm

Now, which should I get? Thanks!

Pareho lang ba yung dalawa na yun
Faster than a speeding cow!

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 10:20 AM »
xlr8- As long as they are both 75 ohm cables, they are one and the same.  Just look at the terminals---> gold plated ones have the best conductivity.

I suggest that you buy the cheaper one the RGB component video cable.  I'm sure it will serve its purpose.

just my half cent... ;)

Offline xlr8

• Collector
  • Faster than a speeding cow!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 02:49 PM »
xlr8- As long as they are both 75 ohm cables, they are one and the same.  Just look at the terminals---> gold plated ones have the best conductivity.

I suggest that you buy the cheaper one the RGB component video cable.  I'm sure it will serve its purpose.

just my half cent... ;)

Nirvblakr,

Thank you so much! I'll get those cables tom!

Faster than a speeding cow!

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
S-Video to Component Video?
« Reply #75 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 05:17 PM »
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new with all this Home Theater thing. It used to be just the TV and the DVD player.

Now that I have a much larger TV and a simple HTIB, I want to make the most of it. I'm currently using an S-Video connection and I want to upgrade to Component Video.

The problem is, even though my TV has component video inputs, my DVD player only comes with S-Video output.

The question is, is there any way for me to convert my S-Video connection to component?

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 05:43 PM »
you can use a converter but it (video signal quality) won't be any better since you'll be just getting the same s-video signal.

component video connection works best with native component video signals. with your current DVD, you're better off with the s-video. unless you are switching between multiple component video sources.  :)

HTH.

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
Re:S-Video to Component Video?
« Reply #77 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 06:11 PM »
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new with all this Home Theater thing. It used to be just the TV and the DVD player.

Now that I have a much larger TV and a simple HTIB, I want to make the most of it. I'm currently using an S-Video connection and I want to upgrade to Component Video.

The problem is, even though my TV has component video inputs, my DVD player only comes with S-Video output.

The question is, is there any way for me to convert my S-Video connection to component?

There may be way to do it but in the end you'll still have the quality (or a bit worse) as a s-video to s-video connection.  

If you want to enjoy component video you should buy a dvd player with component video outputs.   :)

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 06:55 PM »
Thanks utoy and Kahon. Sayang lang.

I can't replace my DVD player just yet since it's part of the HTIB that came free with the TV. I now realize that maybe it's a ploy to force me to upgrade my player so I can make the most of my big TV.

I guess nothing's free after all.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Nov 26, 2002 at 09:49 AM »
I would like to correct one big misconception on Gold being the best conductor of electricity. I remember from Science class that the best conductor is Silver. Here's a tidbit I dug from the web:

"Silver, not Gold is the best conductor of electricity (least resistance). Gold is more widely used in circuitry because it does not oxidize as easily as silver. Next in line is copper which is almost as good and a lot cheaper."

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 05:19 PM »
Thanks utoy and Kahon. Sayang lang.

I can't replace my DVD player just yet since it's part of the HTIB that came free with the TV. I now realize that maybe it's a ploy to force me to upgrade my player so I can make the most of my big TV.

I guess nothing's free after all.

Woohoo! Living off the fat retirement paycheck?

Offline mojako

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 09:44 AM »
can i use component cables as audio cables as well? (dvd to reciever)

Offline lazeeb0y

• Collector
  • i'm invisible...
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 06:59 AM »
just wanna share this...

i went to image video at harrison plaza yesterday to look for component video cables. they only had puresonic and found out that it would cost me P2,400. Yikes!  :o

didn't know where else to go that time, so i decided to check out a DIY shop called Work Station, also at harrison plaza. they told me they didn't have those cables on stock but suggested that i have it custom-built at their shop.

i came out of their shop 20 minutes later, with custom-built component video cables that cost me only P280.

Yahoo!  ;D
A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Offline chris69ners

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #83 on: Apr 06, 2003 at 12:34 PM »
I have a 29 inch sony TV with s-video and rca inputs but no component video inputs. Are there any available cables in the market with a component video (3 plugs) on one end and the other end would be an s-video jack?

Meron bang ganong conversion cable o wala talaga?

I am thinking of a way kasi of how I can use the component video output of my dvd player to connect it to my tv. Im presently using s-video connection kasi. Baka mag-improve pa yung picture if such a cable exist.

I really need ur help guys, kayo experts dito.
Tnx alot!
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #84 on: Apr 06, 2003 at 04:04 PM »
 chris69ners,

I dont think a cable like the one you described would improve overall video quality as at some point they'd have to converge to make the S-Video connection. Get a heavily shielded S-video & i think you'll do fine.

You could also get a display with component video inputs. :)

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Apr 06, 2003 at 07:52 PM »
the s-video will already give you great picture quality

Offline fildeps

• Apprentice
  • love you all
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 05, 2003 at 12:05 PM »
just wanna share this...

i went to image video at harrison plaza yesterday to look for component video cables. they only had puresonic and found out that it would cost me P2,400. Yikes!  :o

didn't know where else to go that time, so i decided to check out a DIY shop called Work Station, also at harrison plaza. they told me they didn't have those cables on stock but suggested that i have it custom-built at their shop.

i came out of their shop 20 minutes later, with custom-built component video cables that cost me only P280.

Yahoo!  ;D

-- a newbie here, a little bit late, anyway, you got it for 280, may i ask what are they made of?

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jun 05, 2003 at 04:21 PM »
I have a 29 inch sony TV with s-video and rca inputs but no component video inputs. Are there any available cables in the market with a component video (3 plugs) on one end and the other end would be an s-video jack?

Meron bang ganong conversion cable o wala talaga?

I am thinking of a way kasi of how I can use the component video output of my dvd player to connect it to my tv. Im presently using s-video connection kasi. Baka mag-improve pa yung picture if such a cable exist.

I really need ur help guys, kayo experts dito.
Tnx alot!

There actually is, but the S-video we're talking about isn't the same as your regular Joe. The S-video cable capable of component inputs as three extra horizontal dots at the based of the circular dots at its point of termination. Each of the three dots carry the RGB signal. You may try to purchase this from the AV stores but I'm quite sure you might have to special order it.

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #88 on: Jun 05, 2003 at 08:47 PM »
can someone recommend me a good component video cable (2.5Meters) with a price ranging from P1000 - P1500.

I tried looking at electronics depot sa festival mall and their AR component cables are expensive. Dun sa bose naman, may monster cable na component cable. Mas mahal pa! i think mga P4000 or P6000. Wala bang mas mura mura?

Im also looking for a Coax Audio cable (1meter)

I dont want DIY cables kasi nde ako marunong mag DIY. hehehe. Gusto ko gawa na tapos kabit nalang  ;D
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 05, 2003 at 11:10 PM »
You can go to Listening in Style in festival mall and ask if they can make you a component wire. They sell wires per meter and they have RCA connectors also. The technician can solder it for you, usually for free as long as you get the wires and connectors from them.