Author Topic: The sub-40K integrated amp challenge  (Read 15086 times)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
The sub-40K integrated amp challenge
« on: Apr 01, 2015 at 06:24 PM »
So I'm looking at integrated amps in the sub-40K range, and I'm fairly happy with the following I've heard so far:

1. Rega Brio R (SRP 33.5K);
2. Cayin LA 34 (SRP 39K);
3. Rotel RA 12 (SRP 39K); and
4. NAD 326BEE (SRP 26K?).

I did #1 versus #4 first (paired with PSB Imagine XB with NAD 545BEE as source), a few days back, and came away impressed with the Brio R.

Today, I auditioned 1-3 and  paired all the amps with the PSB Imagine XB (the only speaker available to approximate  my Image B6) and the B&W CM1 S2. The source was a Cayin CD player.

To be fair, I know that the Brio R is less expensive than the Rotel and the Cayin, same with the XB versus the B&W.

My impressions - the Cayin sounded best with vocals-heavy music (like the Audiophile collections). The Rotel sounded great if playing more "modern" music (like Adele, or R&B). (P.S. The Rotel sounded really great with the B&W :), and I forgot to play the BRio R with the modern music).

All in all, I'm still confused about what to choose  ;D

The other thing which i realized is that before I decide what amp to buy, I have to decide if I'm keeping my PSB Image B6 as my speaker for stereo-listening.

Next up:

1. NAD 356Bee;
2. Marantz PM6005.

Any others?

Other info: I'll be  using the amp with the following sources -  NAD 516BEE CD player, a Rega RP3 turntable and a Macbook Air/Note 3 via NAD Wireless USB DAC - and my PSB Image B6.

Edit as of 2 April:

Updated line-up of sub-40K integrated amps:

1. Rega Brio R (SRP 33.5K);
2. Cayin LA 34 (SRP 39K);
3. Rotel RA 12 (SRP 39K);
4. NAD 326BEE (SRP 26K?)
5. NAD 356BEE (SRP ?);
6. Marantz PM 6005 (SRP 30K);
7. Marantz PM 8004 (?);
8. Rotel RA-1520 (SRP 45K?)
9. Cambridge Audio 651A (?).

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2015 at 08:37 AM by tonedeaf »

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1013
Re: The sub-40K integrated amp challenge
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 06:46 PM »
nice problem to have. Since you auditioned the integrated amps hooked up to a different speaker what you probably heard or experienced will not be in the same ballpark when you take home your desired integrated and then you hook it up to your speaker. You need to take the unit home and audition it with your speakers and your other gears. Only then will you be able to choose one that you will live with for an extended period of time. Who knows you might choose the right one that will give you musical bliss for decades to come.

If you loved the Rotel + BW pairing then why not go for it. I can vouch for the pairing. It has its own synergy that is magical.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2015 at 06:51 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 06:49 PM »
Try the MARANTZ PM-6005. Although I have not paired it with Cayin CD player, it sounded great with a Marantz UD7007.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 07:05 PM »
nice problem to have. Since you auditioned the integrated amps hooked up to a different speaker what you probably heard or experienced will not be in the same ballpark when you take home your desired integrated and then you hook it up to your speaker. You need to take the unit home and audition it with your speakers and your other gears. Only then will you be able to choose one that you will live with for an extended period of time. Who knows you might choose the right one that will give you musical bliss for decades to come.

If you loved the Rotel + BW pairing then why not go for it. I can vouch for the pairing. It has its own synergy that is magical.

I'll see if I can convince some of the sellers to let me home audition.

I think the "supremacy" of the Rotel + B&W pairing (versus the Rotel + XB) also had something to do with the fact that the CM1 is in a bit higher tier than the XB. Not a fair fight yata. Hahaha.

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1013
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 07:12 PM »
I'll see if I can convince some of the sellers to let me home audition.

I think the "supremacy" of the Rotel + B&W pairing (versus the Rotel + XB) also had something to do with the fact that the CM1 is in a bit higher tier than the XB. Not a fair fight yata. Hahaha.

sellers will usually approve of your proposal provided that you pay for the goods and have an agreement that if you dont like it then you can return it.

One way to find out if the "supremacy" that you heard is indeed true then audition the Rotel once again this time with a BW that is near the level of your present speakers.  Sorry but I cant recommend an exact BW speaker model since I have been off the Hi-Fi merry go round ever since I chose the right ones for me to live with one of which is a Rotel+BW pairing. 7 years and counting.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2015 at 07:19 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 10:37 PM »
Found this list of sub-US$1,000 integrated amps:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-integrated-amplifiers-under-1000/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-118

The following are on the list:

1. NAD 316BEE, 326BEE and 356BEE;
2. Marantz PM 8004;
3. Nuforce DDA 100;
4. Jolida Glass FX-10.

I'm not familiar with the last 2, though I know there's a Nuforce distributor here.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 08:40 AM »
I owe the Rotel RA-12, it's an awesome IA indeed! :)

Btw bro, pls verify the mentioned SRP 39K. It should be 29k. For cash price, usually you'll get another 10%, thus making this Rotel a very serious contender & worth considering. There's many positive reviews in the net & happy owners. Happy hunting bro! :)

*This Saturday, I'll visit Spectra, Makati to do an audition shootout: Rotel RA-12 vs Cayin LA-34

Join us if you're available. We can certainly use an extra pair of ears.  ^-^
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2015 at 08:43 AM by pchin »

Offline nogo

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 08:46 AM »

Btw bro, pls verify the mentioned SRP 39K. It should be 29k. For cash price, usually you'll get another 10%, thus making this Rotel a very serious contender & worth considering. There's many positive reviews in the net & happy owners. Happy hunting bro! :)

*This Saturday, I'll visit Spectra, Makati to do an audition shootout: Rotel RA-12 vs Cayin LA-34

Sir ano po gamitin mo na speakers for rotel or cayin?
Im in the market for music setup.
Parang tama 39k srp ng rotel12.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2015 at 08:49 AM by nogo »
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 09:54 AM »

Btw bro, pls verify the mentioned SRP 39K. It should be 29k. For cash price, usually you'll get another 10%, thus making this Rotel a very serious contender & worth considering.

xxx

I'm almost sure of the 39K SRP, same with @nogo.

Can't be in Makati for the shoot-out, but would love to hear your views.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 10:52 AM »
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-integrated-amplifiers-under-1000/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-118

2. Marantz PM 8004;
3. Nuforce DDA 100;
4. Jolida Glass FX-10.

I'm not familiar with the last 2, though I know there's a Nuforce distributor here.

I vote for Marantz and NAD 356Bee
Walang Setup

Offline IsoMetrix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 11:02 AM »

Rotel RA12 for PHP 29K might have been the price for a pre owned unit. I got mine (Brand New) for PHP 33K more than a year ago.

Here's a post for Rotel RA12 from OLX

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2015 at 04:55 AM by IsoMetrix »

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 01:37 PM »

2. Marantz PM 8004;
3. Nuforce DDA 100;
4. Jolida Glass FX-10.

You may want to consider cambridge audio 651A (under 30k srp). Roksan K2 is another option which I believe is on clearance sale abroad with the release of its new model. Both these amps have relatively bright/forward character which I think will complement the character of your PSB.
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 01:53 PM »
Roksan K2 is another option which I believe is on clearance sale abroad with the release of its new model.

No Philippine distributor for Roksan?

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
The sub-40K integrated amp challenge
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 01:56 PM »

Offline oicnoreg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 06:30 PM »
Roksan k2 avsilable at Toys for d audio boys mcs

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 08:31 PM »
^thank you. I'll check the price :)

Offline kranoz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2015 at 08:52 PM »
I think arcam fmj-a19 (about $1000) also has good reviews kaso mukhang walang dealer sa pinas.

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2015 at 01:10 PM »
try cayin h-100, hybrid integrated amp, srp P45K on sale pa yata at P 30K sa Audio Amplified.  It's 100 wpc.   ;D

Offline Oldboyracer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • May the upgrade be with you
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2015 at 05:44 PM »
You may want to consider cambridge audio 651A (under 30k srp). Roksan K2 is another option which I believe is on clearance sale abroad with the release of its new model. Both these amps have relatively bright/forward character which I think will complement the character of your PSB.

+10 - the CA 651A is well worth an audition, you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Emotiva XSP-1 & XPA-DR2, SMSL VMV D1, ND8006
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2015 at 06:23 PM »
try cayin h-100, hybrid integrated amp, srp P45K on sale pa yata at P 30K sa Audio Amplified.  It's 100 wpc.   ;D
i think speaker matching is important. But if it's any amp, my vote also goes into these. I find it a bargain in it's price right now. It pairs well with aurum cantus v2m and entry level sonus faber speakers.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2015 at 03:40 PM »
Called up audio world, the Roksans are beyond the 40k budget, even the Roksan 2.

Meanwhile, I was able to hear the B5 with a Marantz PM5004 over at Audible Illusions. It sounded pretty good, but the B5 performed better with a NAD 356dac.

I liked the sound of the Cayin LA34, except for "modern" music. Does this mean that one should have various types of amps for various types of music? Magastos! Hahaha.

Hope I can go to audio amplified one of these days, so I can hear the tube or hybrid amps recommended here.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2015 at 03:43 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2015 at 03:44 PM »
^You should try listening to a Hybrid separates set up...

Pre-amp - Tube based
Power Amp - Solid State

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2015 at 04:17 PM »
Called up audio world, the Roksans are beyond the 40k budget, even the Roksan 2.

Meanwhile, I was able to hear the B5 with a Marantz PM5004 over at Audible Illusions. It sounded pretty good, but the B5 performed better with a NAD 356dac.

I liked the sound of the Cayin LA34, except for "modern" music. Does this mean that one should have various types of amps for various types of music? Magastos! Hahaha.

Hope I can go to audio amplified one of these days, so I can hear the tube or hybrid amps recommended here.

I think that is the trade off for budget/entry level amps. They are cheaper but are rather selective compared to their high end counterparts. Kaya its partly true na magastos if you are really trying to look for something that can sound good with anything.

The solution I can see here is magantay ka muna ng pre-owned na medyo high spec na amp. Some are sold almost the same price ng brand new entry levels. I think it will be more rewarding in the end.

CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2015 at 08:44 AM »
Agree with Louie

I would recommend the Cayin H-100 ..... also within your budget!

^You should try listening to a Hybrid separates set up...

Pre-amp - Tube based
Power Amp - Solid State

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2015 at 08:22 AM »
Now, I'm really curious about the Cayin H-100. Thanks Luis, sientobente and JoeyGS. I'll find a store which has this so I can audition.

I also found 2 integrated amps from Yamaha which fit the bill - the AS 701B and the AS 501B. 1 high-fi street just posted the prices yesterday in their thread.

Here's an unboxing from Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIEH5F46k4

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 11:24 AM »

Actually sir, im a newbie when it comes to tubes and one of the advantage it gave to me is tube rolling.  I usually change tubes to suit my mood.  When Im in the mood to relax and listen to vocals, I use tubes similarly sounding to Mullard.  When Im in the mood of critical listening and wanted to bring down the house, I use tubes similar to Tele  character.

Pay a visit to Audio Amplified in Libis.  I heard the h100 paired with xavian before and it was a very good combo.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 12:07 PM »
Different people usually have different tastes in sonic flavor. What sounds lush and warm to one might sound muffled (ngo ngo) to another, or on the other end of the spectrum  - what sounds detailed to one might sound bright or sharp to another.

Only you can answer which sounds good to your ears.

You can bring your PSb B6 (when store doesnt have one) and pair it with the the mentioned amps, only then can you have a clear idea on how it will suit your taste. It will sound a little different in your room because of space and acoustic differences, but at least you get to differentiate what sounds better than the other as far as your subjective tastes are concerned.

If you want to be objective about things and aim for the flattest response, then look at the amplifiers response graphs, but your room should be close to an anechoic chamber to at least mimic those responses (PSB tests their speakers on an Anechoic chamber in Canada).

Generally though, NAD pairs well with PSB. Personally,  I pair my PSB B6 to a full tube setup.

Good luck and happy hunting.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM by meat_eater »
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 2015 at 04:04 AM »

Hi, how much does the K2 cost when you called up audioworld?

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM »
mron akong narinig n cayin na SS, yung kay NARAYAN. dont know the model but its a class A int. amp!  nilampaso yung LUX ko, and a notch better than the naim seperates. if i will be the one to choose, hanapin ko yung neutral and detailed na amp na may slam ng konte and not too much unless basshead ka atty may mga int amp naman na kahit palipatlipatin mo ng speaker eh mag peperform. yung mga bagong int amp, has the convenince ng lahat ng inputs, yung iba old school talaga, line inputs lang at minsan may phono stage. it noils down to choice.....pero ako, i will always be on the side of simple circuity and not for complex designs.... just my 2 barya atty.......
WCH CM U?

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM »
mron akong narinig n cayin na SS, yung kay NARAYAN. dont know the model but its a class A int. amp!  nilampaso yung LUX ko, and a notch better than the naim seperates.

cayin 265ai  ;D