Author Topic: T-amp + bookshelf for PC setup  (Read 5473 times)

Offline marvin968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
T-amp + bookshelf for PC setup
« on: Sep 08, 2015 at 12:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Need suggestions for entry level t-amps and bookshelf speakers for my pc setup. Trying to stray away from off the shelves computer speakers this time around.

Thanks,
Marv

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
Re: T-amp + bookshelf for PC setup
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2015 at 06:27 PM »
the Audioengine P4 (passive bookshelf) + any of the following entry-level int amps:

NAD C316BEE
Marantz PM5004
Rotel RA10
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2015 at 10:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Need suggestions for entry level t-amps and bookshelf speakers for my pc setup. Trying to stray away from off the shelves computer speakers this time around.

Thanks,
Marv

Look for 2nd hand SMSL SA-36A PRO orSMSL SA-98E for great sounding and affordable T-Amps. Too bad the seller of these amps (brand new) ran out of stock.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline marvin968

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2015 at 02:53 AM »

the Audioengine P4 (passive bookshelf) + any of the following entry-level int amps:

NAD C316BEE
Marantz PM5004
Rotel RA10

Which shops sell these?

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2015 at 07:31 AM »
Which shops sell these?

Those aren't T-Amps though, those are integrated amplifiers. From my experience while entry level integrated amps may provide more flexibility by providing more input sources and tone adjustments, the sound can be easily matched or surpassed by T-Amps at the fraction of the price.

The sizes of those integrated amps also might consume a lot of space since you are asking about a PC setup.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2015 at 07:33 AM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline kranoz

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2015 at 10:29 PM »
I know the topic is about T-amp and Bookshelf. But have you ever considered powered monitor speakers for PC setup?
I've used SMSL SA-36a Pro, if you got sensitive speakers 89db and up this will be sufficient. But if you're getting low sensitivity speakers like wharfedales get the amps with higher capacity like the SA-98e or SA-60.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2015 at 10:30 PM by kranoz »

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • - diy electronics stuff -
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2015 at 03:38 PM »
Are you looking for a DIY setup?  In case,  I might lend  a hand  (I like to diy)

My suggestion, on a diy Setup point of view :
   1.   you will need a DAC  for USB  and/or Optical (SPDIF),  this is better than using your PC sound card with the 2.5 mm jack output,   if your PC have similar good audio interface, then you don't need the DAC,

2.   You may need a tone control or EQ (Equalizer)  to tailor the sound quality you are looking for.
        well, depend on your speaker and environment  (some DAC included EQ and/or Tone Control)

3.   you may need an amplifier with power up to 15W at least,  better with 30W or higher --- 
         average power,  to  avoid your amplifier to clipping"  specially when you desire for bigger
         sound output

4.  Speakers ---  the selection of speaker can be  Full Range  dual cone or  2-way with dividing network
        Let's say, 2 -way speaker, this can cater most music and with a better bass response (I believe)
        than full range itself

Board level :
You can get #1,2,3  as separate board and you assembled by yourself -- adding the power Supply
this is most diyers do with a customized casing

for #3,  since you specifically like Class T  (I supposed Tripath chipset),  you may try the TA2022  with reserved power up to 90W/channel at 4 ohms.

Finished Product :
There are  DAC+Tone Control + EQ + Class D  packed into a s mall chassis,  I guess it can satisfy most of the user, including me

If for DIY modular board,  let me know your choice and i might can send  to your home direct from China,  while I am here -- while really here now!!!!      (but need to escape the custom in Manila or Clark)
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2015 at 05:03 AM by F. Dandy »
simply dandy
  wechat : diycenter

Offline arudorin

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2015 at 05:06 PM »
i recommend the SMSL SA-60 with bass boost (60wpc). You might need a DAC either sankskrit or m8 dac will do.
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,199623.0.html
"quality in everything we do"

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2015 at 04:43 AM »
here is a bloody "DIY Setup",  you may not like it . . . . . but,  if you are fond of integrating modular boards, or want to try new audio stuff or if you are not contented with available audio stuff in the market,  design and customized your own audio stuff

my diy setup for PC and smartphone

CD ---> PC --> DAC ---> Tube Pre-amp ---> Class T Amplifier ---> Pioneer bookshelf speaker (30W) ----> me & my family.

Those digital tone control/amplifier in fiber glass are "legacy diy made"
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2015 at 04:58 AM »
Here is a finished product -- on top of the diy legacy amp,

Version1 ( on top) with Antenna :
DAC (Optical, Coax, USB) + Bluetooth Core 4 with external Antenna  + analog AUX -----> Tone Control Bass and Treble  with DSP sound field ----> Class D AMP (80W + 80W) 

Version2 - below :
DAC (Optical, Coax, USB) -----> Tone Control  Bass and Treble with DSP sound field ----> Class D AMP (80W + 80W) 

Note:
DSP = 10 environment setting -- rock, pop, jazz, classics, dance, soft, etc...
BT Core 4 -- backward compatible with legacy BT
Class D amp power --- technically that is just the chipset specs,  80W into 4 ohms, 50W into 8 ohms
                                 still looking into a real power it can deliver (electrical test) in terms of average
                                 power (rms)

Both version comes with a Remote Control

LCD color :
Version 1 :   White  (on top)
Version 2 :   Blue
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2015 at 05:13 AM by F. Dandy »
simply dandy

Offline deejay..Y

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM »
Here is a finished product -- on top of the diy legacy amp,

Version1 ( on top) with Antenna :
DAC (Optical, Coax, USB) + Bluetooth Core 4 with external Antenna  + analog AUX -----> Tone Control Bass and Treble  with DSP sound field ----> Class D AMP (80W + 80W) 

Version2 - below :
DAC (Optical, Coax, USB) -----> Tone Control  Bass and Treble with DSP sound field ----> Class D AMP (80W + 80W) 

Note:
DSP = 10 environment setting -- rock, pop, jazz, classics, dance, soft, etc...
BT Core 4 -- backward compatible with legacy BT
Class D amp power --- technically that is just the chipset specs,  80W into 4 ohms, 50W into 8 ohms
                                 still looking into a real power it can deliver (electrical test) in terms of average
                                 power (rms)

Both version comes with a Remote Control

LCD color :
Version 1 :   White  (on top)
Version 2 :   Blue

the Master Diyers speaks out

those are nice built,  can see from the inside what diy hands can do

Offline boing

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM »
May magagandang amp sa aliexpress na based sa tpa3116 which is same as SMSL SA-60's chip, pero 20$ lang dun. Magaganda reviews online at mas ok kaysa sa mga dating lepai.

Meron bang nagtitinda ng mga tpa3116 based amps dito or baka may gustong mag group buy galing sa aliexpress? Gusto ko kasi sana pero wala akong experience sa pagbili abroad

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2015 at 05:45 AM »
Here you go,  a demo test performance,  a combo DAC + Amplifier with bookshelf for PC   --   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUcro0mwZco

I like this amp (D802C) at the moment more than any other amp currently in the market, it powered by FFX Technology  from ST Microelectronics,  it matched the on-board DAC to my PC or my pad/mobile phone which is far better than the normal speaker out of a PC or smartphone,  one USB from PC to the amp, it gives you a clean pure digital processing  from PC (music source)--->DAC ---> DSP--> Amplifier,  only in the final stage of the amplifier comes the conversion from digital to analog.   

Mine have Bluetooth  (D802C)  which is also nice when using my phone

For Christmas 2015, its a good gift to  my friends/yourself,  nagdala nga ako habang nagpapalamig ang nga custom,  :) :) :)  and having power-on test  for 48 hours beneath my Christmas tree   :)

simply dandy