Author Topic: MARANTZ 7008 with EMOTIVA XPA3 Gen 2  (Read 9077 times)

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MARANTZ 7008 with EMOTIVA XPA3 Gen 2
« on: Sep 16, 2015 at 10:19 PM »
hi guys just like to inquire ...

I currently have 7.1 setup with my Marantz 7008 with JBL L820 and JBL LC2 as my fronts and center.  i'm itching of getting a power amp specifically the Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2. 

Any feedback?  Will it really improve my HT experience?   This is my first time to get a power amp. 

Your feedback will greatly be appreciated Thanks   

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
Re: MARANTZ 7008 with EMOTIVA XPA3 Gen 2
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 10:35 PM »
My personal take only, I would not recommend getting a power-Amp.
Rather I would recommend getting speakers that will match the Hi-End Marantz 7008 like GoldenEar.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 10:36 PM by CoolTOYZPH »
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:59 AM »
First of all what are you looking to improve in your system ?

The Marantz has 125 watts per channel, that already a lot of juice considering its not used power low bass. I would upgrade the fronts/center or the subwoofer

Offline dts_hdma

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • DVD Addict
  • 2 x 18 > 16 > 13
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 09:52 AM »
Baka nga hindi match yung receiver sa speakers mo o baka naman sobrang laki ng room kaya ka bitin sa sound. Kung may friend kang merong power amp baka pwedeng hiramin mo muna para masagot mga tanong mo regarding adding power amp to your system. In my case 100W per channel receiver lang 7.2 in a 28sqm room sobrang lakas na. Consider also acoustic treatments.  ;)

Offline _efren_

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM »
The Marantz has 125 watts per channel, that already a lot of juice considering its not used power low bass. I would upgrade the fronts/center or the subwoofer

Receivers almost never output the rated power when all channels are driven. The Marantz SR7008 is rated "125 WPC", but when all 7 channels are driven 70WPC na lang. This is down to electrical limits brought about by the packaging. In a case that has to house the pre-pro, there is only so much space left for 7 amp sections and the power circuitry to drive them.

Possible na may improvement if TS has speakers that are hard to drive, low sensitivity, and especially low impedance.

Test bench results of Sound & Vision (sister magazine of Stereophile):
Marantz SR7008 A/V Receiver Test Bench

2 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (watts @ 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 122.5 / 148.0
2 channels continuously driven, 4 ohms (watts at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 195.4 / 216.8
5 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (watts at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 101.2 / 111.5
7 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (watts at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 68.8 / 82.2

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 12:34 PM by _efren_ »

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 01:10 PM »
I used to have a receiver-multi power amplifier setup. Now i downgraded to just receiver. I can honestly say that i miss my old complicated receiver-multi amplifier setup. Not only did it sound better, the sound is fuller. Theres more spectrum in frequency for your ears.

If you can afford it, id say go for it!
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 05:56 PM »
Thanks for the inputs.   I just want to know if adding a power amp will improve my HT experience and if the Marantz 7008, Emotive XPA 3, and my JBL speakers will complement each other.     

Changing a new set of Speakers are out of the question ... budget wise and will change the look of my HT setup.     

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 10:00 PM »

Just like to share ... Here's how my setup look like.  I am currently happy on how my speaker compliments with the room that's why changing my speakers are out of the question. 

I'm currently happy with HT setup but would like to know if adding a power amp will "improve" my HT experience. 

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 10:04 PM »
Thanks for the inputs.   I just want to know if adding a power amp will improve my HT experience and if the Marantz 7008, Emotive XPA 3, and my JBL speakers will complement each other.     

Changing a new set of Speakers are out of the question ... budget wise and will change the look of my HT setup.     

Your speakers are efficient 90+db @ 8ohms, those are easy load for your marantz 7008.

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 06:46 AM »
if you are looking to improve your HT experience, i personally would go for dual SVS PB 13 Ultras instead.
good luck!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 08:36 AM »
I currently have a SB12 if i get another one? Will that make a big difference? I only have a small HT room 20sq meters
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 09:02 AM by yakisoba »

Offline dts_hdma

• DVD Addict
  • 2 x 18 > 16 > 13
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 09:25 AM »
Iba pa din yung ported kesa sealed na subwoofer for movies IMO. Kahit dual na sealed pa yan, mas okay pa din isang ported na sub for movies.

Offline ride86

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 12:55 PM »
if you are looking to improve your HT experience, i personally would go for dual SVS PB 13 Ultras instead.
good luck!

+1, visited Jake's HT and the experience is excellent.

My HT room is about 16sqm with 1 PB13 Ultra and 1 SB13Plus. Planning to go dual PB13 Ultra.
SR7010+XPA5
GE T7 SCXL SS3 SS3C CCM362
SVS PB13Ultra & SB13Plus
NSATV+A300
PJ AE7000+DARBEE

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 01:18 PM »
Iba pa din yung ported kesa sealed na subwoofer for movies IMO. Kahit dual na sealed pa yan, mas okay pa din isang ported na sub for movies.

When comparing  sealed and ported subwoofers  with the same or similar drivers, and youre after low end extention, then yes (e.g SB12NSD vs PB12NSD).

Response will be a little bit different when you compare with a bigger sealed subwoofer like the 13' ultra... And taking into consideration the room gain, sometimes the sealed route will yield flatter results for movies.

The TS can have both flat response and very good low end extention by having 2 of both types coupled with an Audyssey EQ.... That of course, is an entirely different matter altogether. hehehehe

Cheers :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 01:51 PM »
much better ba mag add on na lang si sir TS ng isang sub rather than power amp if he wants more improvement?

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 03:27 PM »
When comparing  sealed and ported subwoofers  with the same or similar drivers, and youre after low end extention, then yes (e.g SB12NSD vs PB12NSD).

Response will be a little bit different when you compare with a bigger sealed subwoofer like the 13' ultra... And taking into consideration the room gain, sometimes the sealed route will yield flatter results for movies.

The TS can have both flat response and very good low end extention by having 2 of both types coupled with an Audyssey EQ.... That of course, is an entirely different matter altogether. hehehehe

Cheers :)

+1. This is what I also plan in the future. Iba nga response/feel ng sealed vs ported. So having both of them with an EQ (for adjustments) will yield the best mix (depending on room).

IMO, pekspert is right. Adding a power amp indeed gives a more "complete" full bodied sound and better details in my experience aka "busog". Isipin niyo na lang, kapag 7 channels sabay sabay ipopower, from 125wpc (2-channel) naging 70wpc (based on the bench test above for the Marantz receiver), ang laki ng dip.

note: My receiver is also 125wpc (@2-channels driven). When I switch to 7 channel mode, ramdam mo ang dip ng gain ng speaker output
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 03:29 PM »
much better ba mag add on na lang si sir TS ng isang sub rather than power amp if he wants more improvement?

For me, it depends on his needs for improvement: Bass output/quality ba OR speaker output/quality?

I say get both if you have the money :D
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2015 at 09:04 AM »
Receivers almost never output the rated power when all channels are driven. The Marantz SR7008 is rated "125 WPC", but when all 7 channels are driven 70WPC na lang. This is down to electrical limits brought about by the packaging. In a case that has to house the pre-pro, there is only so much space left for 7 amp sections and the power circuitry to drive them.

Possible na may improvement if TS has speakers that are hard to drive, low sensitivity, and especially low impedance.

Test bench results of Sound & Vision (sister magazine of Stereophile):

I think the bench test quoted power figures for full bandwidth. Pag full bandwidth kasi malaki talaga kakulangan ng power supply, but it can probably have enough power once the AVR is freed of heavy bass duty such as when speakers are set to small. Matakaw kasi sa current ang bass signals at yun ang nagpapa-collapse sa power supply leading to lower total power output.

With that in mind, and in agreement with other posts, I'd recommend spending on a better subwoofer (or two, or four!) rather than getting a power amp. Pag naka-quad subs na pwede na mag-add ng power amp. >:D

good luck!
Your speakers are efficient 90+db @ 8ohms, those are easy load for your marantz 7008.
I am currently happy on how my speaker compliments with the room that's why changing my speakers are out of the question. 
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 08:34 AM »

+1, visited Jake's HT and the experience is excellent.
My HT room is about 16sqm with 1 PB13 Ultra and 1 SB13Plus. Planning to go dual PB13 Ultra.
sobra naman si dennis maka excellent. 
haha!  thank you pare!  kamusta?

I currently have a SB12 if i get another one? Will that make a big difference? I only have a small HT room 20sq meters
chief, for perspective - my room is only 11sqm.  i have 2 ported boxes and 1 sealed woofer.  my ported boxes are 1000w RMS each, while my sealed woofer is also 1000w RMS.

i got the Ported Box 13" Ultra subs to do the extensions.  i can't elaborate enough how much different the Ultra extensions could be compared to the other subs i have had.  went thru several subs already but stopped right here and never looked back.

i took another Sealed Box 13" Plus sub for the mid bass kick. the gunshots are never the same.  am sure you know that now given you have a sealed sub yourself.

here's some read about sealed and ported subs - http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/sealed-vs-ported-subwoofers

and another read on efforless bass with greater headroom - http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

the premise of my reco is that you are looking at more power to improve your HT experience.  if this is what you desire, keep your SB12 for the midbass kick, they will complement the ported box woofers.  get dual PB13 Ultras.  they will keep you grinning ear to ear every time it kicks your seat even during dialogues.  it will keep you replaying scenes which did not give you that viewing experience before.  war/battle scenes will never be the same!
i still stand by it based on my own experience, i once also deliberated on a power amplifier - and i also use to own just one sealed subwoofer for my home theater.

again good luck on your hunt brother!

btw, if you are anywhere near sta. rosa you are welcome anytime to visit.  cheers!

Offline dts_hdma

• DVD Addict
  • 2 x 18 > 16 > 13
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 09:58 AM »
Marami naman talaga may gusto ng dual pb13 ultra syempre, kung pwede nga lang quad pa, kaso yung price... In my case I settled with DIY dual 18", mas mura pa kesa sa 1 ultra. Kung may space for gigantic subs, DIY is the best route.  ;)

Offline crazyhog

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM »
pasingit TS/ semi OT: if naka dual pb12nsd sub ( both placed s front ), San possible/ideal placement ng sealed sb12? ....... Pwd kaya in between at maging patungan ng center speaker?
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015 at 04:41 PM by crazyhog »

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 01:02 PM »
Thanks guys for the heartwarming inputs :)   The PB13 is too expensive for me now -- kulang aa budget ... so if i ever i get the PB12? Will it be ok with my SB12? So SB12 and PB12  ...

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 04:04 PM »
Thanks guys for the heartwarming inputs :)   The PB13 is too expensive for me now -- kulang aa budget ... so if i ever i get the PB12? Will it be ok with my SB12? So SB12 and PB12  ...

dual PB12s + SB12 chief!

as for the budget, ah eh... calling sir Mike C!
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015 at 04:07 PM by ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ »

Offline nelcarol1994

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 29, 2015 at 08:35 PM »
Sir saan po kayo kukuha ng emotiva? Pagkakaalam ko kasi online lang sya sa US? Im also thinking of xpa5 gen 2 kasi sobrang mahal na ang classe amp.

Offline crazyhog

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2015 at 08:47 PM »

Sir saan po kayo kukuha ng emotiva? Pagkakaalam ko kasi online lang sya sa US? Im also thinking of xpa5 gen 2 kasi sobrang mahal na ang classe amp.
try nyo kay sir Elim sa MP