Author Topic: SURPLUS SPEAKERS  (Read 193987 times)

Offline maynard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm jew here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SURPLUS SPEAKERS
« Reply #270 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 09:43 PM »
Oo eto nga yon. Ganito sya oh.

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/Specs/?gSPK00010NS-10MT

Sinubukang kong ipa-repair sa Deeco, hindi ko pa nakukuha, lagi akong pinababalik, I think did they a good job... of messing it up real good. May pag-asa pa ba yong maayos?
Yes, its all in the mind.

Offline maynard

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm jew here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 10:08 PM »
Parang gusto ko 'to ah. Meron kaya nito sa somewhere?

ONKYO Grand Scepter GS - 1
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006 at 01:07 AM by maynard »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #272 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 11:22 PM »
Sir if this unit is same unit being sold by Little Chatty, then I concur with sir Sandawa. I auditioned that unit and was on the brink of getting it except I saw a Victor SX3iii also being sold. I compared the two and the Pioneer had more power. The bass was more powerful. The mids and high more forward. (more distinct?). I opted for the Victor SX3 only because i already had a pair and have plans to acquire three pairs for a 6.1 home theatre project.

foo.

It is the store opposite Little Chattys. The name is Charisa Appliances Trading.

Offline ccc

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 03:10 AM »
KEF's highs really don't sizzle i think, since that also were a bit off for my 101/s2 compared with my other speakers. maganda ang low and middle ng original 101s2, but the highs are a little lacking. what i did was to change the UniQ configuration, got a pair Wharfedale Modus Vivendi tweeters and mounted these on top of the box and the result was significantly more pleasing highs. the new KEF Reference series already have tweeters mounted on top.

the KEF101s2 with a Wharf Modus Vivendi tweeters mounted on top. its highs now sound more pleasing. the original is UniQ design with the HF unit in the middle hole of the LF's voice coil.

6 of 9 pairs of speakers in my little room. wife kicked me out of the master's bedroom years ago due to my increasing collection of what she calls "junk" (vintage) hifi - KEF101s2 and JBL316Pro on top of Epos 14 and Denon SC104 which sit on Diatone DSa7 and Design Acoustics PS10.

Chief,

Pati yung epos sa Pier mo nakuha? Mukhang sariwa pa yan ah, magkakano ganyan dun?

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 08:56 AM »
the Epos, KEF and JBL shown in photo were all acquired brand new. KEF 101s2 and JBL 306Pro were bought here in Davao (RJ Homes appliance store) in 2001. the Epos 14 was from a shop in Pacific Place in Hong Kong, discounted store demo unit (HK$4,000), in 1999. RJ Homes also had an Epos 14 sold at only P9K but only one unit, not a pair, was told the other unit was messed up somewhere in their bodega. i still should have bought it - for HT center speaker use - but a guy from Cotabato beat me to it. 

what you'll get as surplus audio gear at Manila's pier and also here in Davao are recycled units of Japanese brands such as the Diatone DS-a7 and the Denon SC-104 which are also shown in photo. the US-made Design Acoustics PS-10 hardly seen below the photo was from American Surplus store in Cagayan de Oro City, below Xavier U's gym.

the surplus unit Diatone (Mitsubishi) DS-a7 is a jackpot i think, it's comparable with good bookshelf speakers from the US and UK. check out this comparison by a Japanese audio website: http://tukipie.net/audio/SPEAKER_jenre.htm
it's at par with the LS 3/5s of KEF, Spendor, Rogers, and Harbeth; Sonus Faber's Concertino; Dali's Royal Menuet and better than B&W's 601 to 604 series. i bought it almost mint condition here in Davao at P3.5K.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006 at 09:07 PM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline gutchy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #275 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 03:53 PM »
Yesterday I saw a pair of Diatone DS-501 for P6.5K
for those interested dun sya sa last store near BPI

Offline KVAR101

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 04:08 PM »
ask ko po,. anong date maganda pumunta sa pier? wala pong definite na araw un datingan ng bago? thanks po

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 09:12 PM »
Yesterday I saw a pair of Diatone DS-501 for P6.5K
for those interested dun sya sa last store near BPI

probably not worth P6.5K considering it's re-sale price in Yahoo Japan ranges only from 10,000 to 15,000 yen.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 09:29 PM »
Oo eto nga yon. Ganito sya oh.

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/Specs/?gSPK00010NS-10MT

Sinubukang kong ipa-repair sa Deeco, hindi ko pa nakukuha, lagi akong pinababalik, I think did they a good job... of messing it up real good. May pag-asa pa ba yong maayos?

your revised Yamaha NS-10 looks better, and a bit different, compared with the original NS-10M studio monitor whose production in Japan was discontinued for environmental reasons. the original NS-10M's woofer is made of paper from the pulp of an endangered Japanese tree species.

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Jan 17, 2006 at 01:26 AM »
Hi Im new here, Im planning to buy a Pioneer Linear Power Speakers Floorstander sya (I 4got d model # Grrrr!) I'll post it here pag nakabalik ako sa shop...
need your expert advices...
The speakers are still new kaso naluma dahil d nabili at kalilipat lipat ng store yung mismong box nya nagkaroon ng mga tama yung mga kanto as is all the sides may tama...
Ask ko lang may alam ba kayong nagrerestore ng speaker boxes...nanghihinayang kasi ako sa price offer almost 70% binigay kasi sa akin ng store owner, he's honest enough naman to admit na palugi na nyang binebenta..Need ur advise. I want to restore it's Box bago kasi yung mga speakers..
I'll be using them for my front speakers ...
thanx...

Offline maynard

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm jew here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 02:01 AM »
@sandawa

Ganoon pala itsura ng unang NS10.

But I think mine also has the same pulp material and I think this model is also discontinued.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 09:03 AM »
the original NS-10Ms were discontinued in 2001, i think. Yamaha, due to a huge international demand from recording studios, decided to resume production in 2002 but using different materials for its paper cones. i was told even Taiwan is now producing imitations of NS-10Ms.

as recording engineers put it: "if it sounds good on the NS-10M during the mastering process, it would sound better when played on any other hifi speaker at home." two more websites for those interested in these legendary nearfield monitors:

http://www.bobhodas.com/tissue.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun02/articles/monitors.asp
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2006 at 09:12 AM by sandawa »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #282 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:02 AM »
HI Sir Sandawa, Sir Maynard, makasingit na po.

I have this notion that when speaker production shifted to Malaysia, Thailand, China, Mexico etc. due to the high cost of production  in Japan, North America, or Europe their quality dropped dramatically.

I started looking for the old models made in US, Japan and Europe. I've always had this idea of looking for the older speakers usually made using real wood and not "saw dust" is better use of my money. I once bought a complete set of award winning Tannoy Speakers made in China and am not happy with them. In fact i am much happier with OLD Victor SX3 speakers i bought at a fraction of the tannoy's cost.

However, lately i haven't auditoned new speakers with the seriousness and  intensity i do when checking out old speakers. For all I know the newer ones sound better than the vintage speakers except that they cost more.

That's why I love this "surplus" thread. 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:12 PM »
true. some new speakers should sound better but they also should cost more, considering inflation. besides, the developments in speaker technology these past two decades were never radical, more on cosmetics. two weeks ago i was in Makati auditioning new gear and i'm convinced that a good vintage amp/speaker combination could match, or exceed, performance of expensive systems. one combination i listened to was worth P150K but to my ears, that was at least two notches below what my reference amp/speaker combination could achieve. it was more like mid-level sound in my collection, but which others may see as truly high-end because of the systems' looks.

but, again, there are exceptions. i used to believe only US- and UK-made speakers could be described as truly hifi. it was only lately, thru this thread, that i discovered high-quality Jap speakers could also sound very good. another example was a surplus Aiwa small bookshelf Thailand-made i bought from a trader here in Davao last week for its looks. it's standing right next to my old Wharf Diamond 4 for a week now and all i could say was that the Aiwa (which is popular only for its tape decks) is almost comparable with UK-made Diamond 4 speakers rated Best Buy by What Hifi and Hifi Choice in early '90s. i could only conclude that the Thais probably did their best on these tiny Aiwa to make a favorable impression considering the competition on bookshelf speaker types. of course, we all know that competition pushes quality up and prices down.

without these cheap surplus gear, Makati audio shops' prices would go up, up and away! here are my tiny Aiwas, bought at P1.8K, about the size of Diamond 4:

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:35 PM by sandawa »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM »
Hi Sir Sandawa,

Those AIWA's look as good as the Operetta speakers.

Out of Topic...

I was at the evangelista thrift shops a while back scrounging around for LPs and the store owner offered me a pair of Infinity speakers he had stored in his house. He said they were Infinity Kappa 9's.

I was flabbergasted... I have Kappa 7's and I value the pair as much as my AR90 and my Ns1000m. I got excited but of course didnt show it ... and of course I asked for his selling price...

Boy i was more Flabbergasted when he mentioned P80,000.00 I guess the kappa 9 is out of my league... but for a while there I thought the Holy Grail of the Infinity Kappa series was within my reach. :))

Offline maynard

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm jew here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:04 PM »
So you should really go for the vintage huh? Thanks for the tip. Now I should really visit to the surplus shops.
Gusto ko rin sana magpa-custom kaw nirvblkr, okay ba talaga yung mga gawa nya?

Offline whipsaw

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 11:54 AM »
evangelista in bangkal right? that should be an interesting place to look for some vintage gear.

except i think if the fella priced those kappa 9s at 80k, he was already pricing in the cost of its being vintage. that is already collectors' price. would be great to walk around those places and happily find speakers or any gear for that matter that is priced to be sold, or at times priced as disposable na, and then realize that the item is a rare collectible.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
when i was starting this hobby back in the '80s, before these Japanese surplus gear showed up, there were four sources of used hifi: the Bulletin ads, which could offer some surprises; small shops that sell stuff from Saudi (mostly Japanese low- to mid-fi); Bangkal where traders get their US and European audio equipment from yardsale in Makati's exclusive villages; and Dau where new or slightly used gear from Clark's off-duty commissary are sold openly at big discounts.

those from Clark are the best, in condition and quality, but you could get very lucky with true gems from the Bulletin ads and Bangkal traders. back then, some high-end units such as those of Conrad Johnson, Bedini, Krell, etc. would also show up in Raon but those were consigned used units of rich audio enthusiasts, mostly Chinoys, who have upgraded their systems.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 04:51 PM »
Yes, i meant Evangelista, Bangkal. Audio gear sometimes are available there but I guess they are not as plenty as in the Pier. Once in a while you can get lucky and find nice items there. You have to visit the place often though. I found my AR18 there. However, many a time have I gone there and gone home empty handed. It is still the pier where there are lots of audio gear available.

I guess Dau won't have much audio equipment now with the American Base gone. There must have been a lot of used american audio gear there when the american base was still intact. Boy! when pinatubo erupted and the americans left in the wake of the volcanic dust .... there must have been tons of audio gear left behind. I wonder where they went.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 07:41 PM »
Hehe, my uncles and I went to Dau regularly even before mount pinatubo erupted. We usually get cheap cds there and some nice speakers. After the eruption, that's when prices started falling. My uncles got 4 or 5 pairs of inifinity and JBLS floorstanders, and I mean BIG floorstanders. The ones I got were Polks floor standers. We even went house to house sometimes, thats where we found speaker cables made of silver. According to the homeowner, that's the same cables the Americans used in the radio station at the base. I also have those annual catalogs of american audio equipment being sold in the base for american soldiers stationed there. We usually contact an army friend inside, who'll buy the speakers inside the base, load it in his trunk, while we wait outside the base for delivery :)
Btw, been to the pier last week and today, saw 2 pairs of Onkyo D-200 Liverpool speakers, ganda ng itsura, yun nga lang, di maganda pagkagawa ng bagong dikit na foam surround. Pinakinggan ko, didn't like the sound much. Matinis sobra ang onkyos in my opinion. For those interested, chatty has a pair of Victor SX-3 ver II. Ok na sana, yun nga lang yung isang speaker, mahina na tweeter, malapit na ata bumigay.

Offline KVAR101

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Jan 21, 2006 at 11:28 AM »
may nakita po akong diatone speaker nagbebenta. 3way 10inch woofer nya with adjustments un lo mid hi.
maganda model kaya ito? thanks. 5thou selling

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Jan 21, 2006 at 01:48 PM »
My uncles got 4 or 5 pairs of inifinity and JBLS floorstanders, and I mean BIG floorstanders. The ones I got were Polks floor standers.

Sir  DOHBERT

do u recall what the infinity models are? I am a big fan of the old infinity speakers
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2006 at 05:33 AM by Lord Foo »

Offline gregg

• Apprentice
  • DIY Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 09:05 AM »
Hi guys!  Have anyone of you, by chance browsed the website for the following subwoofers & speakers?

Subwoofer:

ONKYO - SL-R70
YAMAHA KPS - SW 501
YAMAHA KPS - SW 305

Note:  all the above speakers have terminals for 2 pairs of speakers.  They are not the square type (i mean squared baffles but rectangular ones standing vertically).

Speaker:

Pioneer S-J7-Q (these are the speakers for Pioneer Empressario)
SONY APM-V705AV
VICTOR SX3

I would really appreciate if you could direct me to the sites of the abovementioned items. 

Thanks a lot!

Offline gregg

• Apprentice
  • DIY Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 09:33 AM »
BTW, a friend is selling me these
ONKYO - SL-R70
YAMAHA KPS - SW 501
YAMAHA KPS - SW 305
VICTOR SX3 - ver III

for P4.5K each.  Mura na ba? I need your feedbacks and advice guys.

Thanks!!

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 08:50 PM »
BTW, a friend is selling me these
ONKYO - SL-R70
YAMAHA KPS - SW 501
YAMAHA KPS - SW 305
VICTOR SX3 - ver III

for P4.5K each.  Mura na ba? I need your feedbacks and advice guys.

Thanks!!

The SX3 are two way bookshelves. I like them a lot and have 2 pairs and am looking for more units.  The price is a bit steep for 4.5k IMO since they are sold at the Pier for much less. These are very nice speakers for small rooms.

Check out the japanese audio site.

http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/index.html

By the way, I checked out the pier today. Came home empty handed.
However, I saw two pairs of 15 inch speakers and a jbl pair at Little Chattys.
One of the 15 inchers is a Realistic speaker, and the other is a sonic something...

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2006 at 08:56 PM by Lord Foo »

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Mar 22, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
The JBL at chatty's are not real JBLs. They jus veneered it and used a JBL sticker on it. Sony ata yun originally.  ;D

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Mar 22, 2006 at 02:31 PM »
Ganun po ba Sir Dohbert? Hahah. I didn't even check out the JBL and the two 15 inch speakers. I noticed the veneer and veered away from the JBL. Likewise the 15 inchers seemed to have boxes quite small for 15 inch woofers.

"matumal" daw benta sabi nung sales person na nakausap ko. Some of their sales people are given more day-offs during the week. I don't know if this will translate to lower prices.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
Sir, matumal dahil di na gaano marami pumapasok na units from Japan, these are being sent to China or Vietnam instead, they have a bigger surplus market there. These days, ang ginagawa nila is place orders for specific models they like, then wait at month's end kung dumating orders nila, otherwise, pagpipiliaan nila yung dumating sa 1 na container. Mostly, pumapasok ngayon are refs, understandable, considering tag init na.

Offline wolvenfang

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 05:52 PM »
hey i live in evanghelista, bangkal...ive never seen surplus speakers for sale though...i guess i gotta look some more ...meron paba nagbebenta sa pier ng surplus speakers? im looking for cheap floor standers and cheap subwoofer..hehe

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #299 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 05:07 PM »
Just recently purchased the ff: speakers

1. Aurex SS-F07 (sorry no pictures yet)
    - Doesn't have any review in the internet (not that I am aware of)
    - To me it has excellent vocals
    - Good imaging
    - Low and high frequency reproduction is very good

2. Sony SS-A5 (La Voce)
    - review here http://www.kameson.com/audio/SS-A5.htm (pls use Babelfish to translate)

Here is what he says of the tweeter

"Around the tweeter as for the baffle it is part, but it has become 2 piles. It is the semi hard type
     diaphragm which uses the bio cellulose which 3 corporations of the SONY & Ajinomoto Co., Inc. & Agency
     of Industrial Science and Technology Research Institute for Polymers & Textiles developed jointly. It is not
     to press to process to dome type, you asked that from beginning it grows the fiber in the mold of dome
     type. The bio cellulose is the cellulose which the bacterium which is called the acetobacter creates. The
     bio cellulose is used for also the portion of the single unit sale unit of FOSTEX, but it is unclear from
     equality with those which SONY uses. With SONY this bio cellulose is used as a diaphragm of the
     headphone. Also patent is taken.

Separated method of bio cellulose
     Bio-polymer research: Patent 2766182

Production method of the bacterium cellulose which uses PQQ non formation stocks
     Bio polymer research: Patent 2767551

The bio cellulose (the bacterium cellulose) purity to be higher than the cellulose which the plant makes,
     because minute structure (1/100) it is extraordinary the cellulose fiber of the plant, for example various
     merits (, because young's modulus has about the same as the aluminum), as a new material it is the
     material which is expected. Culture it can do to be done, with such as coconut fruit juice to remove the
     cellulose in several days so is. The azotobacter melts permeating the protein disassembly enzyme, so is.
     The bio cellulose was expected as a disassembly characteristic plastic, but price becomes the problem and
     has not spread."
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007 at 09:21 AM by rascal101 »