Author Topic: connection question???  (Read 1654 times)

Offline golp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
connection question???
« on: Dec 16, 2004 at 08:38 AM »
mga sir tanong lang....

my denon 1404 receiver only has 1 set of digital audio in (1-coax and 1-optical).
i'm currently using the optical connected to my dvd player.  is it possible to
use the other coax connection to another dvd player?  if not possible or advisable,
is there a splitter for this?

thanks!

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Re: connection question???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2004 at 01:04 PM »
mga sir tanong lang....

my denon 1404 receiver only has 1 set of digital audio in (1-coax and 1-optical).
i'm currently using the optical connected to my dvd player. is it possible to
use the other coax connection to another dvd player? if not possible or advisable,

thanks!
I think possible to use another coax connection but different "Input" Check your Receiver manual. You can use other source like LD (depends on the availability on your receiver)  then configure it on the input of your receiver.

BTW, The two (2) available inputs are labeled dig.1 & dig. 2 input? You can assign it on any available
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 08:42 AM »
hey guys, just wanna know your comments -  ::)

I was about to rearrange my speakers last weekend but i aborted because based on my approximation, my speaker wires are short --  :-\

I am toying with the idea now to add about 3 meters more but i have to connect the extension by twisting it on the end of the first wire and fixing it with electric tape.

Ok lang ba to? thnks ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 11:49 AM »
it's a temp fix at best...  sooner or later you'd have to get better wires.
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 02:52 PM »
hey guys, just wanna know your comments -  ::)

I was about to rearrange my speakers last weekend but i aborted because based on my approximation, my speaker wires are short --  :-\

I am toying with the idea now to add about 3 meters more but i have to connect the extension by twisting it on the end of the first wire and fixing it with electric tape.

Ok lang ba to? thnks ;)

Just buy a longer wire dude. You may experience some deterioration of sound quality especially if the wires start to become exposed after a while. As bravoexo said, sooner or later papalitan mo rin yan so why not do it now...

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 07:45 PM »
mga sir tanong lang....

i'm currently using the optical connected to my dvd player.  is it possible to
use the other coax connection to another dvd player?  if not possible or advisable,

thanks!

Yes it is possible to use another DVD player this time using the other digital input via a coax cable.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 11:21 AM »
bravo, jeck -- thnx for your advise. m thinkin kasi for a possible cost cutting solution. For a pair of 12 meters/gauge 12 generic speaker wires at 65 per meter means shelling out 1,560.00  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 04:56 PM »
Your welcome jerix! That P1,560 is money well spent. That's a long-term investment dude. Years pa bago ka bumili ng bagong speaker cables unless magbago ka ng arrabgement uli...  ;D

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 01:42 PM »
am seeing speaker wires composed of combination of copper and silver, does this have to follow a pattern also in terms of connection to amp or speaker polarity? meaning, does the copper need to be connected to (+), silver to (-) or vice versa? ???
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 06:35 PM »
None, Nada, zilch.   It's just a good aesthetics to establish the positive and the negative.   You may want to use the  silver for positive like I do.  Some use the copper as it is closer to red which is always positive. 

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 06:42 PM »
bravo, jeck -- thnx for your advise. m thinkin kasi for a possible cost cutting solution. For a pair of 12 meters/gauge 12 generic speaker wires at 65 per meter means shelling out 1,560.00  ::)

isn't 12 meters too long or is this ok?  parang me nabasa kasi ako na hanggang 6 meters lang ang speaker cables before the sound starts to deteriorate?  just wondering.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 07:12 PM »
On an 8 ohm speaker load, 15 meters is the safe max when using lamp cords or 16 ga wires.  When using 12ga wires, you can go 30 meters.  10ga up to 60 meters.   But even if you exceed these pressuambly safe limits, the combined resistance, conductance and inductance that result for such long runs start to significantly attenuate frequencies only above 10khz at levels in fractions of decibels.  See if you can hear that even in aggregate amounts.  A 10ga cable has a resistance of 0.001 ohm per foot.  So that's around 0.2 ohms for 200 feet or around 60meters.  You would have to have a cable run that will result in an effective impedance in the same magnitude as your speaker load to even hear any audible degradation of sound, say around half or 4 ohms.  You can compute how long the cable will be to reach that.   ;D  (Speaker impedances that are fairly stable across the freqeuncies and don't widely dip to 2 ohms or less can tolerate longer cable runs than speakers with wild swings.  Because if at a certain frequency the speaker impedance goes down to 2 ohms, and the cable resistance is in that same magnitude, you can expect significant attenuation at that frequency. )

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 01:15 PM »
Wow 30 meters?  Thanks for clearing up my misconceptions.  :)