Author Topic: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 135370 times)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Rotel rb-1080 stereo amp
« Reply #240 on: Feb 26, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
juvinyl

presently have the RA-1070 mated with a B&W 805 Nautilus speakers (on top orig Nautilus stands).  its only 100watts x 2 (conservatively rated) but it can make the 805's really sing out loud.  I do agree that the marriage between Rotel electronics and B&W speakers is one combo that is hard to beat.  Midrange quality is top notch and so realistic. 

BTW, I have a spare Classe CA70 power amplifier that I am not using. Havent tried it yet with the Nautilus but it used to power a set of Dynaudio A50's to very respectable SPL's....sound quality is very neutral.  send me a PM if interested.

Wow synchro big time combo you have there ;) and you have a spare classe amp pa ;D can you compare performance between classe and rotel(even if they have diff wattage) since these 2 are the ones really popular in their respective brackets. congrats bro :)

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1013
« Reply #241 on: Feb 27, 2006 at 09:57 AM »
ricky

as I have said in my earlier post, I havent tried to A-B both amps to the Nautilus 805's so I dont have any idea on how the Classe will perform when mated to the 805's. Maybe when I have time to spare I might try it out and see. I do however know its performance when mated to Dynaudio speakers.  The CA-70 that im contemplating on selling sounds really great with the Audience 50' s that I have. Since the Dynes really thrive when paired with a muscular amp, the 70 watt per channel of the CA-70 didnt have any problems whatsoever driving the speakers because its easily capable of doubling its load when the impedance drops so in effect it pumped out 140 watts/channel to the small Audience 50 bookshelves. 
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #242 on: Feb 27, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
ricky

as I have said in my earlier post, I havent tried to A-B both amps to the Nautilus 805's so I dont have any idea on how the Classe will perform when mated to the 805's. Maybe when I have time to spare I might try it out and see. I do however know its performance when mated to Dynaudio speakers. The CA-70 that im contemplating on selling sounds really great with the Audience 50' s that I have. Since the Dynes really thrive when paired with a muscular amp, the 70 watt per channel of the CA-70 didnt have any problems whatsoever driving the speakers because its easily capable of doubling its load when the impedance drops so in effect it pumped out 140 watts/channel to the small Audience 50 bookshelves.

Pre - what replaced the CA-70? The Classe monoblocks?
money is best spent

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Feb 27, 2006 at 11:36 AM »
I am using a CA-100 to drive the 1.8MKII's. hindi kasi naka balanced XLR option yung CA-70 thats why I decided to upgrade. If I do sell the CA-70 then i'll look for another CA-100 para monoblock pair (mono 400W per at 8 ohms and 800W per at 4 ohms  :o)
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #244 on: Feb 27, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
WOW sir synchro! astig po ng combo niyo ngayon, last time na narinig ko po yan e talagang ang ganda na po nung dyn's.. ;) 8)  pinarinig niyo sa akin kung gaano kaganda tumunog. ang laki pa po ng space niyo kung san nakalagay yung dati niyong setup. 8) galing sir! more power! ;)

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 02:07 PM »
thanks ronjet. BTW, ok na yung HT set up mo?
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2006 at 02:19 PM by synchro_01 »
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline brandon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Mar 01, 2006 at 12:04 PM »
Hey guys,

Does anyone here using rotel rb-1080 with b&w speakers?  How's does it sound?  Because, at present i'm using ra-03 with b&w 705 and it seems that my 705 has not reach its maximum potential. 
Juvinyl

Bai,

Upgrading your Rotel amp to another Rotel amp will not bring significant audible improvement
in the sound quality of your bookshelf 705's.

Try experimenting with the volume balance of your subwoofer vis-a-vis your main speaker. 
If you don't have a subwoofer, the next significant upgrade would be to add a good quality
subwoofer to your system (Velodyne CHT 12R or bigger).

Try experimenting with the treble and bass tone controls.  Your 705 bookshelfs may benefit from it.

Also try experimenting with your subwoofer crossover and your amp crossover. 
Higher amp crossover settings (100 Hz or >) usually improve midrange clarity/purity. 

Also try experimenting with the 'toe in' angle of your speakers. You'll be amazed that
a slight change in toe in angle of your speakers can dramatically change the size and depth
of the soundstage as well as the speakers' tonal tendencies.  (Bright speakers can be made
to sound less bright or more bright by small changes in the toe in angle.)

Try to experiment also with your speaker and subwoofer placement and orientation vis-a-vis
your primary listening position.  Distance between the left and right speakers, distance of
both speakers from the back wall and the side wall, can also dramatically change the overall
soundstage and tonal character of the speakers.  Sub placement and orientation angle
is crucial for subwoofer integration with your speakers.

Also try room/acoustic treatments if you haven't done so (especially if your room is overly
'live' or overly 'damped' which are both not good for music listening).

You will notice that most of these things don't cost a cent but I assure you
they can DRAMATICALLY improve the sound produced from your speakers or ANY SPEAKERS 
for that matter.  Even the most modest 'entry-level' speakers can sound astounding and
'eeriely live' when properly set up and optimally configured in a good listening room. 

Given that you have already 'maximized' the best performance from your current speakers
and equipment through optimum set up and configuration, the next most logical step would
be to upgrade your speakers (not your amp) to the 800 series (the floorstanding models).

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2006 at 12:10 PM by brandon »

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #247 on: Mar 01, 2006 at 12:18 PM »
yup! sir synchro ;)... and thanks for your big help! 8) naghanap ako dati nung sub na sinabi mo sa akin, yung sub mo dati kaya lang wala. ;D

now you have naman rotel! 8) ganda talaga rotel+b&W... parang iba talaga tunog kahit siguro 600 series lang.

malaki ba difference ng 1070 sa 1080 rotel?

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Mar 01, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
yup! sir synchro ;)... and thanks for your big help! 8) naghanap ako dati nung sub na sinabi mo sa akin, yung sub mo dati kaya lang wala. ;D

now you have naman rotel! 8) ganda talaga rotel+b&W... parang iba talaga tunog kahit siguro 600 series lang.

malaki ba difference ng 1070 sa 1080 rotel?

bro yung sa akin RA-1070 which is an Integrated Amp. I dont know the price of the 1080 and I have no idea on its performance.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline juvinyl

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Mar 04, 2006 at 09:49 PM »
Bai,

Upgrading your Rotel amp to another Rotel amp will not bring significant audible improvement
in the sound quality of your bookshelf 705's.

Try experimenting with the volume balance of your subwoofer vis-a-vis your main speaker. 
If you don't have a subwoofer, the next significant upgrade would be to add a good quality
subwoofer to your system (Velodyne CHT 12R or bigger).

Try experimenting with the treble and bass tone controls.  Your 705 bookshelfs may benefit from it.

Also try experimenting with your subwoofer crossover and your amp crossover. 
Higher amp crossover settings (100 Hz or >) usually improve midrange clarity/purity. 

Also try experimenting with the 'toe in' angle of your speakers. You'll be amazed that
a slight change in toe in angle of your speakers can dramatically change the size and depth
of the soundstage as well as the speakers' tonal tendencies.  (Bright speakers can be made
to sound less bright or more bright by small changes in the toe in angle.)

Try to experiment also with your speaker and subwoofer placement and orientation vis-a-vis
your primary listening position.  Distance between the left and right speakers, distance of
both speakers from the back wall and the side wall, can also dramatically change the overall
soundstage and tonal character of the speakers.  Sub placement and orientation angle
is crucial for subwoofer integration with your speakers.

Also try room/acoustic treatments if you haven't done so (especially if your room is overly
'live' or overly 'damped' which are both not good for music listening).

You will notice that most of these things don't cost a cent but I assure you
they can DRAMATICALLY improve the sound produced from your speakers or ANY SPEAKERS 
for that matter.  Even the most modest 'entry-level' speakers can sound astounding and
'eeriely live' when properly set up and optimally configured in a good listening room. 

Given that you have already 'maximized' the best performance from your current speakers
and equipment through optimum set up and configuration, the next most logical step would
be to upgrade your speakers (not your amp) to the 800 series (the floorstanding models).

Thanks for your post Brandon, but I'm sorry, I'm not inclined in listening to music in 5.1 channel mode.  In fact, I only use bookshelf speakers in my music room.  No offense, but I don't like the sound of the sub while listening to music.  For me, bookshelves are the best, because you will easily achieve "pinpoint" imaging and clarity than floorstanders.  Likewise, I don't adjust bass controls or treble control.  I used "flat" bass and treble in my rotel ra-03.   
CLEARAUDIO EMOTION TT/ ROTEL RCD-1072, RC-1070, RB-1070, B&W 705

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #250 on: Mar 04, 2006 at 11:28 PM »
Thanks for your post Brandon, but I'm sorry, I'm not inclined in listening to music in 5.1 channel mode.  In fact, I only use bookshelf speakers in my music room.  No offense, but I don't like the sound of the sub while listening to music.  For me, bookshelves are the best, because you will easily achieve "pinpoint" imaging and clarity than floorstanders.  Likewise, I don't adjust bass controls or treble control.  I used "flat" bass and treble in my rotel ra-03.   

yeah juvinyl,this is the right way to listen to musics ;) and also cht-12r is not a good sub for audio listening :)

Offline juvinyl

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Mar 05, 2006 at 12:06 AM »
Thanks Ricky ;D ;D ;D.  Now I know that I have gained the proper listening habit. 

Anyway, in addition to my previous post, your amp is as important as the other component in the playback chain.  Don't just disregard the importance of the amp.  This is the heart of the system particularly the receiver.  The more power the amp in your receiver is, the more "punch" or "slam" it gives.  The more power it has, the bigger the transformer and the capacitors in restoring transient voltage needed at the height of the battle or gunshot.  Normally, this can be found in expensive amps.

For me I don't use receiver in music system.  Separates is the best way to go, e.g., source, pre-amp and the amp.   Sabi pa nga ng karamihan, in music, 2-channel rules. ;) ;D ;D ;D

I don't consider myself as a real audiophile, but in this hobby, I learned many things.  For me, there are 2 types of music lovers, an audiophile and a music enthusiast (pls correct me if I'm wrong) ;D.  An audiophile can be a music enthusiasts, while a music enthusiasts can not always be an audiophile.  An audiophile listens to music at moderate volume, prefers bookshelf than floorstanders, listen in 2-channel or stereo or monoaural.  While some music enthusiats listens at higher volume, 5 or more channels, big floorstanders speakers.

Well, guys, no offense, whatever you are in, what is important is you enjoy your music. ;D

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 03:05 PM »

You will miss a lot of 'depth' information and sense of 'spaciousness' if you don't use a sub.
A sub that blends well with main speakers especially small/bookshelf ones gives a greater
sense of 'realism' to the recording.  Music from small bookshelf speakers will sound a lot more
'holographic' (not 'flat') if you have correctly and seamlessly integrated a good sub.

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 03:19 PM »
yeah juvinyl,this is the right way to listen to musics ;) and also cht-12r is not a good sub for audio listening :)

Ricky,

There is no right way or wrong way to listen to music.
It all boils down to one's personal preference.  We all have
different ears and we all perceive sound differently.

If a person really hears better music reproduction by using
tone controls vs. not using them, then why not, di ba?

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 03:35 PM »
Thanks Ricky ;D ;D ;D.  Now I know that I have gained the proper listening habit. 

Anyway, in addition to my previous post, your amp is as important as the other component in the playback chain.  Don't just disregard the importance of the amp.  This is the heart of the system particularly the receiver.  The more power the amp in your receiver is, the more "punch" or "slam" it gives.  The more power it has, the bigger the transformer and the capacitors in restoring transient voltage needed at the height of the battle or gunshot.  Normally, this can be found in expensive amps.

For me I don't use receiver in music system.  Separates is the best way to go, e.g., source, pre-amp and the amp.   Sabi pa nga ng karamihan, in music, 2-channel rules. ;) ;D ;D ;D

I don't consider myself as a real audiophile, but in this hobby, I learned many things.  For me, there are 2 types of music lovers, an audiophile and a music enthusiast (pls correct me if I'm wrong) ;D.  An audiophile can be a music enthusiasts, while a music enthusiasts can not always be an audiophile.  An audiophile listens to music at moderate volume, prefers bookshelf than floorstanders, listen in 2-channel or stereo or monoaural.  While some music enthusiats listens at higher volume, 5 or more channels, big floorstanders speakers.

Well, guys, no offense, whatever you are in, what is important is you enjoy your music. ;D

Bai juvinyl,

I disagree with many of the things you mention here but I do respect your opinion.
How about an audition at your place?  By the way, I sent you a personal message yesterday.

Regarding what makes one an 'audiophile' or not is purely up to the person.  There is
no 'certification' body or 'formal schooling' that is required for one to be labeled
an 'audiophile'.  If you think you are an audiophile, then you are one.  If not, then your are not. 
It's that simple.  It has nothing to do with the cost or choice of your equipment or playback
method, and has nothing to do with your personal beliefs in audio which greatly vary from
person to person.  An audiophile is simply a label you confer upon yourself and not a label
somebody imposes upon you.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 04:03 PM »
Ricky,

There is no right way or wrong way to listen to music.
It all boils down to one's personal preference.  We all have
different ears and we all perceive sound differently.

If a person really hears better music reproduction by using
tone controls vs. not using them, then why not, di ba?

From a certain perspective, you're right.  While there are technical aspects in this hobby that can determine what's right or wrong under specific set-ups, personal preferrences supercede technical considerations.  For instance, some people like to listen to dipole speakers placed close to walls, when what is technically right is, they should be positioned farther from walls.  

Personally, I'm inclined to think there's always a right way and a wrong way to doing things.  And that includes listening to music.  The right or the wrong really depends on how you expect home reproducton to happen.  If you meet your expectations, then that's the right way.  If not, then it's wrong.  

And there's also personal education, social position and income level to consider.  It's definitely wrong to have a set of brand new B&W speakers on a Musical Fidelity set-up when you're wife and children are hungry and you can't even pay the rent.   ;D

Last, just a note on tone controls.  If your system has them, by all means use them.  Doesn't really make sense to get a amplifer with tone controls and not use them.  Audio purists who like their signals untouched on a straight-wire-with-gain philosphy begin by getting amps WITHOUT tone controls.  That is what's right for them.  Actually for purists, it's not just wrong, it's an outright SIN to have tone controls.   ;D

But if you're not a purist, then it's not wrong to have tone controls.  

And in case you want to be a purist, not using tone controls in an amp that has them is not enough.  Whether you use them or not, those controls are sitting on the audio path dong nasty things to adulterate the signals.  Your amp simply must have NO tone controls.   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2006 at 04:48 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 04:47 PM »

Regarding what makes one an 'audiophile' or not is purely up to the person.  There is
no 'certification' body or 'formal schooling' that is required for one to be labeled
an 'audiophile'.  If you think you are an audiophile, then you are one.  If not, then your are not. 
It's that simple.  It has nothing to do with the cost or choice of your equipment or playback
method, and has nothing to do with your personal beliefs in audio which greatly vary from
person to person.  An audiophile is simply a label you confer upon yourself and not a label
somebody imposes upon you.

To a large extent,  you're correct.  An audiophile simply means a lover of sounds which in practical use, has come to mean music lover.    You don't even have to have home reproduction gears to be an audiophile.  One who always attends and relishes live music in concerts  has more claim to the label than one who owns the most expensive equipment on earth but fails to achieve listening nirvana. 

But...with the way the label has come to mean over the years, commerically and socially, I  am not sure if you can separate the audiophile label with the passion of the hobby.   The passion is rooted on getting the right gears and ceaseless buying of records  to send you to such listening nirvana at home.   So to some extent, the label gets increasingly rooted with the kind of gears and the volume of records you have.  But it's one thing to get the right  gears and records and another to derive listening pleasure from them.  An audiophile expects to have one thing lead to the other - the right gears are just a means to an end.  Too bad the right gears are sometimes quite expensive. You often have to have years of experience in the hobby to know your sources of getting the best value for your gears.   But provided you are happy listening to music with the gears you have so diligently assembled, saved and spent for, you're an audiophile.

There's another breed of passionate people who like to collect gears associated with the audiophile hobby.  I don't know if they have the time listening to music and deriving pleasures from it, compared with the time they spent scrounging for collectible audiophile items and tinkering with them.  Not so sure if the label fits them.  They seem to like the hardware more than the software. 

Bottomline is, a true audiophile enjoys his music.  The gears are just a means to it.  Actually, you can identify an audiophile by the volume of his record collections.   But not just any records - they should be mostly audiophile level recordings.      ;D  And more assuredly, if he frequents concerts and live performances in studios.  I'm not entirely convinced you can call someone an audiophile who hasn't heard and enjoyed listening to how real musical instruments sound in a live performance.  ;D  Just my thoughts.

« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2006 at 04:55 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline juvinyl

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
Very eloquently said, Sir AV_Phile.   ;D

I've read in one of the articles about audiophile. 

"We believe that the sound of music, unamplified, occurring in a real space is a philosophic absolute against which we may judge the performance of devices designed to reproduce music."

My understanding is that If you let somebody sing in an open space, record and the playback sounds exactly or very near to the actual, then being an audiophile, you feel your goal is achieved. 

In that article it further said that gears of today are very far from reproducing what it said to be "philosophic absolute".  So, it is true that people ceaselessly buy expensive hardware just to attaine this philosophic absolute.

The word "unamplified" based on my understanding is that, the sound is being reproduced without using electronic amplifiers, microphones, etc, etc.  I can attest to this, because I don't like to hear music when the sound of the microphone is very noticeable.   

If an audiophile's basis for ultimate sound reproduction is live performance, imagine, there are a lot of microphones, amplifiers, cables, etc. etc. out there. 
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2006 at 02:20 PM by juvinyl »

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers
« Reply #258 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 03:05 PM »
hello,

how much is the price of the new ra-06?

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
bump ko lang, dami kasi discussion na ng Rotel sa ibang thread.... :)

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 03:39 PM »
magkano ang rotel rsx-1056?

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 04:36 PM »
To all tweakers!
Where can i have my rotel 1066 amplifier binding posts upgraded ? Thanks!

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 04:39 PM »
Hmmm, that will void your warranty.  But audio stores who have in house technicians should be able to do that. 
PureSound Inc.

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Sep 01, 2006 at 08:10 AM »
Hmmm, that will void your warranty.  But audio stores who have in house technicians should be able to do that. 
Sir, what brand of binding post kaya maganda klase

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Sep 01, 2006 at 08:14 AM »
WBT should be good. 
PureSound Inc.

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Sep 02, 2006 at 06:56 AM »
tanong lang po sa nakakaalam... magkano sa manila yung rotel RMB-1066 or RMB1075? kahit approx price lang.

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #266 on: Sep 02, 2006 at 05:49 PM »
mga 58K ung 1075. baka pwede pa matawaran :)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 07:50 PM »
What do you guys think of the Rotel RA-920AX? I'm trying to find a review but there is none available online? Is this a good performer?

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
Sir,

Maganda ba ang rotel at dali concept 2 combo? how about rotel at wharfedale diamond 9.4 combo?

Balak ko kumuha na lang ng RA02, para sa HK 755. Ok kaya?

ano ba pinag kaiba ng RA02, RA04 at RA05? Maganda pa rin ba ang mga entry level int. amp ng rotel?

salamat po
Proud user of AVR135

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #269 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 11:19 AM »
there are musophiles and there are audiophiles. those going to the extent of opening up the panels and tweaking from the component level are those so called audiophiles. while those contented with having good music playing for most of their lifetime are musophiles.

a musophile may not care at all about brands, wattage, etc for as long as they like the songs in play...in contrary, an audiophile may want to consider wattages, brands, ratings, reviews, and many other factors in trying to achieve musical nirvana. they may not like the songs but they would love it for its sound quality.

and then of course there are also audiophile musophiles...  :)
im allan - 09178087173