Author Topic: Rent: 2-Disc Special Edition  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Rent: 2-Disc Special Edition
« on: Jan 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM »

RENT

Available in Widescreen and Fullscreen Editions
Dolby Digital 5.1 English Audio track

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary by Chris Columbus and Selected Cast Members
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Feature Length "Making-Of" Documentary
  • Musical Performances

Release Date: February 21, 2006
SRP: $28.96
Amazon Price: $19.99

This is actually one month before the Philippine Theatrical Release date.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006 at 10:32 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rent (Two Disc Special Edition)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 10:30 PM »
image is slightly big..  8)

pass muna. very bad reviews.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 10:34 PM »
image is slightly big..

Try refreshing. I initially uploaded the wrong image.

By the way, images can no longer be too big. The current board settings will give any image you post a maximum width of 500 pixels.

pass muna. very bad reviews.

Ako naman, buy immediately.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006 at 10:46 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 12:02 PM »

Ako naman, buy immediately.  ;D

sir Hankey have you seen this movie na ba? is it good?  it seems that musicals and plays are starting to make the big screen (ie. Phantom of the Opera, Narnia) now this.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 02:48 PM »
sir Hankey have you seen this movie na ba? is it good?  it seems that musicals and plays are starting to make the big screen (ie. Phantom of the Opera, Narnia) now this.

The Disney version of Narnia is not a musical.  You must have been confused it with Trumpet's production of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe".
 ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 06:09 PM »
sir Hankey have you seen this movie na ba? is it good?

Yes, I have. I enjoyed it, but I was predisposed to. My comments on it are here:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=43650.msg526354#msg526354

it seems that musicals and plays are starting to make the big screen

Yup. Unfortunately, no musical has been able to click with the mainstream American moviegoing audience since Chicago. The Phantom of the Opera only broke even after foreign grosses were added to its US box office take, and last Christmas' two very high-profile stage-to-screen adaptations, Rent and The Producers, have both currently grossed less than their budgets. Rent is expected to be a much bigger hit on DVD due to its cult following, while The Producers will probably have more legs with its foreign theatrical releases due to its star power.

Still, all three underperformed domestically, so I think the "musical fever" they predicted would hit the big screens after Chicago has probably met an early end.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2006 at 06:12 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 11:09 PM »
The Disney version of Narnia is not a musical.  You must have been confused it with Trumpet's production of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe".
 ;)

sorry i was referring to the current movie "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe", i just used "Narnia" for short kasi yun din naman nasa title niya and its shorter.  of course i do know that there are also a lot of other titles in the "Chronicles of Narnia"

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: Rent: 2-Disc Special Edition
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2006 at 01:45 AM »
Got my copy already.

The deleted scenes clearly were the heart of the film - there was more emotion in them than anything left in the movie. And I personally think the "alternate ending" worked better, but more of as an homage to the way the stage play ends.

The feature-length documentary isn't a "making of" of the movie, that's only about 1/5th of it. The rest is basically about Jonathan Larson and his creation of the musical before his untimely death. Not all that informative for Rentheads, since it's all in "the big black book," but it's nice that they actually featured Rentheads in the documentary, and when they mentioned a handful of Rent theatrical productions around the world, Rent: Philippines made the cut (and the "Rent Manila" poster was flashed briefly). Also, it was nice to see the two original Broadway cast members replaced for the film didn't bear any grudges, and participated in the documentary.

Unfortunately, deleted scenes and the Jonathan Larson documentary are all they included in the second disc. I would've liked it if they had included the show's original press reels as well, instead of just brief highlights from them in the documentary.

The "selected cast" commentary refers to only the two leads, Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal. They apparently did the commentary with Chris Columbus via video conferencing, since although engaging in actual conversations, Columbus says he's in LA while the two are in NY. This works much better than when cast/crew members record separate commentaries and they're just edited together. I haven't listened to all of it yet, but it's been fairly technical so far.

A must-buy for Rentheads. A must-rent for fans of the genre, and still an okay rent for people who merely tolerate musicals.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 04:55 AM »
hmmm.. 525,600 minutes to think.. ill rent this dvd first.

thanks mr. hankey for the heads up!

;D
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:01 PM by hemisphere »

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:00 PM »
so Mr Hankey would you say this DVD / movie is a good substitute for the live musical (obviously i haven't seen this play)  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 03:09 PM »
A passable substitute, though it's not anywhere near as powerful as the live show. But you do get most of the Original Broadway Cast, so that's a plus factor.

Also, the subject matter hasn't aged that well. It's no longer contemporary, and has a very dated feel. I guess they knew that, which is why they intentionally shifted the time frame of the musical a few years back, to 1989, so you're informed you're not in the present time to get you in the proper mindset.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2006 at 03:12 PM by Mr. Hankey »