Author Topic: The Panasonic AE900 Thread  (Read 20966 times)

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Panasonic AE900--its out now!!
« Reply #120 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 10:47 AM »
I noticed that you guys were downloading HD material. I;m using the Neo DVD player with upscaler for my plasma and it has a 1080i output so you guys might want to check it out. Although i dont know which would have a better out put the HTPC or the Neo

Hi Alfa,

Upscaling DVD players do improve on DVD video resolutions, but not much. Native HD video (those encoded in "true" 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolutions) will look a lot better than upscaled DVD video (whose native resolution is only 720px by 480px for NTSC). Hardware/software upscalers basically only use the laws of averaging when "filling-in" the missing lines and pixels. Smart upscaling chips like Faroudja DCDi uses some form of AI in determining whether the adjacent pixels belong to a horizontal/vertical edge, a diagonal edge or to solid/gradient colors. It's more like having a picture shot at 1 megapixel and trying to "upscale" its resolution to 6 megapixels. You'd first have to resize it, then apply some form of edge enhancement (like the edge sharpening filter in Photoshop, for example) to compensate for the exponentially blurred edges. No amount of technology will ever be able to regain or reconstruct the non-existent/lost resolution unless aided by Madam Auring. Although deinterlacing or converting interlaced video to progressive is another story, it's similar in concept (only horizontal lines and alternating frames are involved). There's just no substitute for real HD video. There are, however, a few DVD players that support DivX/XviD HD videos.

HTPC's on the other hand, offer all the power and potential of both a high-performing processor and advanced software, such as media players with deinterlacing/upscaling capabilities. Add to that the freedom to upgrade and enhance both the hardware and software components of the system as much as your bank account (or wife) will allow. Just imagine comparing a well-configured computer with even the most expensive DVD player with built-in upscaling chip or whatnot. No contest. ;)

When the Blu-ray players come out, many things "may" change. But still, HTPC's armed with a Blu-ray drive and/or recorder will rule. At least in my world. ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:11 AM by Kato »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:09 AM »
well said kato...expert/pro ka talaga when it comes to HD....... ;D ;D me myself have an upscaling player..2910..but still i long for true hd content ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:17 AM »
hehehe Bro Munskie, kasalanan niyo ni Ricky bakit addict na rin ako sa HD. It all started with getting the HD-capable AE900 and then I thought hmmm... If DVD videos look this great, I wonder how it feels like to experience true HD video on a 100" screen... then boom! The rest is history hehehe ;)

Bro, where do you get your HD videos? I'm always on the lookout for HD sources. Parang... "<whispering> Pare, meron ka ba dyan???" ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:18 AM by Kato »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #123 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:33 AM »
Hi kato, does it need to be hd material para maganda resolution  or pwede na regular dvds basta sa computer lang iplay? I know its much better kung hd material running on computer,pero kung reg.dvd running on computer ok na din ba?or the same lang effect with reg.dvd running on upscaling dvd player? Bihira pa kasi hd materials and napakadami ko reg dvd movies sa collection,baka kasi pareho lang using effect playing reg.dvd whether sa comp or upscaling player? ???

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:46 AM »
hehehe Bro Munskie, kasalanan niyo ni Ricky bakit addict na rin ako sa HD. It all started with getting the HD-capable AE900 and then I thought hmmm... If DVD videos look this great, I wonder how it feels like to experience true HD video on a 100" screen... then boom! The rest is history hehehe ;)

Bro, where do you get your HD videos? I'm always on the lookout for HD sources. Parang... "<whispering> Pare, meron ka ba dyan???" ;)
  wala pa, busy pa ako reloading my stuff back to my laptop...but when i do, ill just use file sharing....tama ba?  or you have sites with hd content?  para matingnan ko na sa panny..... ;D  and oh btw...nice question ricks......

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:48 AM »
Hi Ricky, native HD videos pa rin talaga ang the best. Regular DVD's are just 720px by 480px and even when upscaled, they can't be compared to real HD videos. But, when comparing the PQ of regular DVD's played on upscaling players and computers, halos ganun din (assuming a good upscaling DVD player is used). Aside from the slightly better PQ, you just have more control and more options when using a computer. I would say that computers will always be better in terms of deinterlacing or upscaling. The actual quality of output to your display will still depend on your video card. Kahit na maganda pagka decode/deinterlace/upscale ng computer sa video, if your video card isn't capable, it won't look good pa rin.

But you're right, medyo konti pa lang HD videos at the moment, and DVD's will still be the most popular video media for a few more years. I just get my HD videos from friends who record them for me from HDTV broadcasts and "alternative" sources. ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 12:41 PM by Kato »

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
tanong lang po mga sir:

ano kaya ang the ideal (or correct or best) distance to mount this projector from a 96" screen on a 6.60-meter long room, thanks a lot po in advance...... 8)

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
since the ptae900 has a 2x zoom, you can place the projector roughly around 10 to 20 ft from the screen for a 96 inch widescreen screen
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:41 PM »
tanong lang po mga sir:

ano kaya ang the ideal (or correct or best) distance to mount this projector from a 96" screen on a 6.60-meter long room, thanks a lot po in advance...... 8)
  just went to the projectorpeople.com, and i used the projector calculator, a good tool to use when mounting PJs. if your gonna maximize your screen, assuming its 96x96...panny will project a screen size of 96in wide x 54in height image...with 110 in diagonal size...and you could mount it around the 6.0 meter mark (from the front) and just use little zoom function at that.  but if you want to save on cables, but still maintain that screen size,  the nearest point you can mount the panny would be at the 3.4m mark, and the zoom function maximized at 2.0x. ;D  and oh yes, its a pretty large room huh....
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:44 PM by Munskie »

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:45 PM »
Hi Classicman,

The AE900 is pretty flexible and adaptive when it comes to placement in a room. Like we tried it on a coffee table at around 3m distance (2' high) and on a bookshelf behind us at around 6m distance (5' high) and both gave the same good results and with no need for keystone correction. This is primarily because of the zoom and lens shift (horizontal/vertical) features of the AE900.

According to the manual, the ideal distance for an approximate 100" (diagonal) projection, is between 3.1m to 6.2m. So that gives you ample freedom to position it in your 6.6m deep room. I guess a rule of thumb for a perfect projection (aside from ambient light control, wall colors/texture, etc.) is to position your projector within these limits and try to avoid positions that would need keystone correction or lens shifting (i.e., proper vertical/horizontal [closest to 90/90 degrees] alignment of the projector with respect to the screen).

:)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:52 PM by Kato »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 02:50 PM »
yeah, keystone adjustments must be avoided as much as possible.  picture quality will suffer from this function(stated in the manual).....vertical and lens shift can be used but its advisable not to max out shifting(read it somewhere)  ;D ;D

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 08:39 PM »
yeah, keystone adjustments must be avoided as much as possible.  picture quality will suffer from this function(stated in the manual).....vertical and lens shift can be used but its advisable not to max out shifting(read it somewhere)  ;D ;D

Yeah munskie is right,as much as possible dont use the keystone correction and even the zoom function if you can get away with it ;D since you have a big room its better to install the pj after you mounted the screen so that way you can get the actual distance needed for the pj to project the image size you want. ;D

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 09:03 PM »
thanks a lot guys for the quick replies, i still don't have the PJ yet (ala pang budget, hehehe ;D) but the renovation of our HT room had already started this morning, so am just trying to figure out the ideal place to mount a PJ (just in case) for better cable management....... 8)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 11:52 PM »
Hi Ricky, native HD videos pa rin talaga ang the best. Regular DVD's are just 720px by 480px and even when upscaled, they can't be compared to real HD videos. But, when comparing the PQ of regular DVD's played on upscaling players and computers, halos ganun din (assuming a good upscaling DVD player is used). Aside from the slightly better PQ, you just have more control and more options when using a computer. I would say that computers will always be better in terms of deinterlacing or upscaling. The actual quality of output to your display will still depend on your video card. Kahit na maganda pagka decode/deinterlace/upscale ng computer sa video, if your video card isn't capable, it won't look good pa rin.

But you're right, medyo konti pa lang HD videos at the moment, and DVD's will still be the most popular video media for a few more years. I just get my HD videos from friends who record them for me from HDTV broadcasts and "alternative" sources. ;)

Hi bro, thanks for making it clear to me ;D hindi na kasi ako mapakali to make my laptop work with my pj,but to be honest since hindi talaga ako ganon kasanay sa paggamit ng computer it would be much easier and convenient for me to just purchase an upscaling dvd just to view my reg.dvds.I asked around and the cost for buying a good video card and sound card to replace my present ones is so expensive :o Maybe what i can do right now is to view my reg.dvds in my computer na lang without replacing the video and sound card,kung baga pagiigihin ko na lang kahit hindi nya kaya yung HDdvd ;DI tried viewing the spy kids you gave me and boy its so CLEAR sa laptop screen ko ;Dgrabe ganda but sa pj ko not so much ??? Sorry po mods ot na :-[ And another thing wala picture calibration yung vga input ng ae500 ko :P

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 12:21 PM »
Hey Ricky, Where do you plan to get your Oppo 971? Is there anybody selling/distributing it here locally? I think I may get my dad one since he also prefers the simplicity and convenience of a standalone player. I might get it from Amazon for USD 199. Yun nga lang no local warranty.

On the other hand, the Kevler DVD player which claims to have a DCDi Faroudja chip and selling for only 2.5K sounds irresistible too. I'm just not sure about the build and playback quality since it sounds too good to be true. I'll probably wait for Kefq's feedback once he's tried it :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 12:09 PM »

Terminator 2 extreme Ed has a standard version and a 1080p version for PC

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
Terminator 2 extreme Ed has a standard version and a 1080p version for PC

Hi Matzter, I also ordered that T2 Extreme and Coral Reef Adventure :) How much and where did you order your T2?

Cheers!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:34 PM »
Hi Matzter, I also ordered that T2 Extreme and Coral Reef Adventure :) How much and where did you order your T2?

Cheers!

I got it from Amazon at a sale of SE's. It was only $6.7, so I couldnt resist.  ;D

I thought the movie was in 1080p. It was only yesterday that I understood that it has a standard format and another movie in HD and can only be played on PC.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:38 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 02:10 PM »
I got it from Amazon at a sale of SE's. It was only $6.7, so I couldnt resist.  ;D

I thought the movie was in 1080p. It was only yesterday that I understood that it has a standard format and another movie in HD and can only be played on PC.
MAT, assemble ka na ng HTPC..... 8) 8)  para ma play mo na sa PANNY ae900......
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 02:11 PM by Munskie »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 02:23 PM »
Wala nang funds bro, at medyo nasa audio (bedroom audio setup) ang focus ko for the meantime  :)

Pag labas ng Bluray or HD, baka mag HTPC tayo, recuperate funds muna for now  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 03:13 PM »
its gonna be upgrade time again once pag nauso na 1080p material...panny ae900 hanggang 720p/1080i lamang....oh well... 8)  pag wala budget, sana tumagal pa..........kahit konti lang    ;D ;D

Offline dazed

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 04:04 PM »
singit ko na lang 'to dito, since i'm noticing more and more people have HD-capable displays (either flat panel or PJ).

there are cheaper alternatives to an HTPC if you guys really wanted to watch your HD material.  as kato said, there's really no comparison between true HD material and the usual 480p DVD sources. Upscaling helps sometimes (and more and more upscaling players are available), but the difference can be not as big.

The IP DVD player (it says it HD-DVD, but it's not the *real* HD-DVD as we know it, but rather, a DVD player that can play HD material) - http://www.conteldigital.com/netdvd/dv228n2.htm has been getting a small following in HK, although there's only 1 shop that sells it (almost PhP 17K).  If you don't need the DVD part and all your HD sources are on your hard drive and not burned to disc, there's also the networked media players (TVIX is an example - http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/Products/HDM5000U.aspx) that can play over the network or via USB. These go for around PhP 13K or sometimes even cheaper, depending on the exact model.

The IP-DVD is popular in china because there are people selling HD material on DVD discs (not-so-legal of course, but then again, it's china ;) ). it's usually around PhP 50 per disc, although some movies can span multiple discs, since they're only using regular 4.7 GB dvds.  But for those who get their HD material from the usual sources (torrents), the networked HD media players should work fine.

if you were going to hk, i can point you to where the IP-DVD player can be seen in action (small shop in mongkok). for the TVIX-type products, these can easily be found in any computer center (mongkok, wanchai, or sham shui po), usually connected to a PJ or an LCD.

until the real HD or Bluray discs are released later this year, this can be a feasible fix, specially since the HD and Bluray players are going to be a lot more expensive (at least the first batch).  if you have the display already, take advantage!

as for us ordinary people, makikinood na lang kami sa inyo :)
Audio: Cayin MT-45 mkii|B&W 602s2|Gramovox TT
HT: Denon X4200W|B&W 683s2, HTM Matrix, 601s2, GE 525

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
...about upscaling in dvd players...just wanted to add that it often hurts the picture more than helps...check out the March/April issue of The Perfect Vision with the big test on DVD players...they talk about this, which confirms my experience.

They also discovered that more often than not, component video works better than HDMI.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:01 PM by slowhand »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 04:56 PM »
DAZED,

hey kamusta na?

May Oppo ba sa HK? Any other recommended DVD players? I will be going to HK by April. Do you know where I could buy Tripplite Line conditioners? TIA  :)

Pag labas ng Bluray or HD, baka mag HTPC tayo, recuperate funds muna for now  ;D

its gonna be upgrade time again once pag nauso na 1080p material...panny ae900 hanggang 720p/1080i lamang....oh well... 8) pag wala budget, sana tumagal pa..........kahit konti lang ;D ;D

I think its more practical to spend on a HTPC when BR or HD is here. For now kasi parang sayang gumastos ng mga 30+k for a basic HTPC...JUST to have a temporary taste of HD (as of now), eh pag labas ng HD or BR, obsolete na uli yung mga PC components mo. Upgrade na naman.

until the real HD or Bluray discs are released later this year, this can be a feasible fix, specially since the HD and Bluray players are going to be a lot more expensive (at least the first batch).  if you have the display already, take advantage!
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 05:08 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
tanong lang po uli mga sir:

how long is the power cord of this PJ, & where's the ideal place to put its dedicated power outlet if the PJ is to be mounted on the ceiling in the middle of the room......maraming salamat po ulit 8)

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 07:38 PM »
Hi Classicman, if your AE900's going to be ceiling-mounted, just make sure you'll be able to conveniently reach it for adjusting the zoom and focus rings and also for attaching/detaching the lens cover. :)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:16 PM »
tanong lang po uli mga sir:

how long is the power cord of this PJ, & where's the ideal place to put its dedicated power outlet if the PJ is to be mounted on the ceiling in the middle of the room......maraming salamat po ulit 8)

Its less than 2 meters bro, what i did with mine is i installed an extension outlet on the ceiling directly above the pj,and that extension is plugged in to an AVR to protect the pj.I just use an oversized wire for that extension para wala electrical delay when you turn on the pj ;D

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:19 PM »
DAZED,

hey kamusta na?

May Oppo ba sa HK? Any other recommended DVD players? I will be going to HK by April. Do you know where I could buy Tripplite Line conditioners? TIA  :)

I think its more practical to spend on a HTPC when BR or HD is here. For now kasi parang sayang gumastos ng mga 30+k for a basic HTPC...JUST to have a temporary taste of HD (as of now), eh pag labas ng HD or BR, obsolete na uli yung mga PC components mo. Upgrade na naman.

Pare the tripplite was quoted at hk$3800.oo ha ha ha,but in the states its only around $250 ??? pare buy mo din ako oppo ha ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:59 PM »
The IP DVD player (it says it HD-DVD, but it's not the *real* HD-DVD as we know it, but rather, a DVD player that can play HD material) - http://www.conteldigital.com/netdvd/dv228n2.htm has been getting a small following in HK, although there's only 1 shop that sells it (almost PhP 17K).  If you don't need the DVD part and all your HD sources are on your hard drive and not burned to disc, there's also the networked media players (TVIX is an example - http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/Products/HDM5000U.aspx) that can play over the network or via USB. These go for around PhP 13K or sometimes even cheaper, depending on the exact model.

Hi Dazed, thanks for the very informative update about IP DVD players. :) That's exactly what I was looking for before settling down to build an HTPC. Although HTPC's will still be more powerful and flexible, these IP DVD players will be a much cheaper alternative. I especially like the fact that you'll be able to wirelessly stream content through it. Based on the impressive specs on Contel's web site, this player has got all the bells and whistles an HTPC or HT enthusiast would want. Video and audio quality are still yet to be tried and tested though. Did you get to try it out while you were in HK?

Cheers!

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:10 PM »

Hey Matzter, actually, if you have an HTPC now then when Blu-ray arrives and becomes mainstream, you'll just have to buy a Blu-ray drive/writer and slip it in your HTPC just like installing a new DVD drive/writer :) It will be a very basic upgrade. But, the question is... how cheap or how expensive will these Blu-ray PC drives be? :-\ One thing for sure, they won't be as expensive as standalone Blu-ray players/recorders.