Author Topic: HT/Audio Wires/Cables Setup  (Read 1109 times)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
HT/Audio Wires/Cables Setup
« on: Apr 27, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
I am planning to do a re-layout of my HT/Audio set-up.  My concern is on the Speaker wire layout connecting to the reciever/amplifier.  The componet set-up rack will be located on the left side of the room while the speakers of course will be at the front and back of the room. 

The first question is, can the speaker wires running from the amps or receiver to the left and right channels can be of different lengths?  Is there any effect on the delivery of the sound if the wires to the spaekers have different lengths?

Second,  up to how long can the wires be so that you can get optimum sound delivery?

Your insights on this is highly appreciated.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: HT/Audio Wires/Cables Setup
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 02:15 PM »
if the length difference of your wires is only 2 or 3 or even up to 5 meters thats negligible. However, to be safe why not just use the same length. You will find this worthwhile too when you decide to re-orient your HT. Use thicker gauge to obtain maximum effect. Gauge 12 doesnt fit on my amp's spkr terminal so i presently use 14 gauge.  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 02:40 PM »
How large is your room?  Cables lengths often matter when talking huge distances in the kilomteric ranges. But even that can be offset using thick gauge wires.  So if you use 12ga cables, it won't matter.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 05:11 PM »
How large is your room?  Cables lengths often matter when talking huge distances in the kilomteric ranges. But even that can be offset using thick gauge wires.  So if you use 12ga cables, it won't matter.
The farthest length would be 6 meters and using 12ga.  I guess it would be negligible and would invest a little for the same length for flexibility.

thanks for all your comments.  Helps a lot.  Cheers...

Offline chiemonyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 10:25 PM »
medyo ot po...

san po ba makakabili ng Ball Bearing Solder???? thanks po...

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2006 at 07:54 PM »
The first question is, can the speaker wires running from the amps or receiver to the left and right channels can be of different lengths?  Is there any effect on the delivery of the sound if the wires to the spaekers have different lengths?

Second,  up to how long can the wires be so that you can get optimum sound delivery?

Your insights on this is highly appreciated.

Please refer to this table:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Recommended length depends on gauge and resistance.  Using 12 gauge wire at 6 ohms, recommended maximum length is 90 feet.  Hence, there will be no problem even if the wires are of different lengths, as long as the length of each does not exceed 90 feet. Since 6 meters lang naman ang longest distance mo, av_phile1 is right (as usual) that if you use 12 gauge wire, the difference in length really wouldn't matter.

Personally, I prefer using same lengths.  Even if it wouldn't matter, parang lagi kong naiisip na may tabingi sa setup ko pag alam ko na may wires na hindi pantay ang haba.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2006 at 08:05 PM by barrister »