Author Topic: Superman Returns R3  (Read 22687 times)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Superman Returns R3
« Reply #90 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:57 PM »
Okay The Digital Bits just upped their review for the R1 version of "Superman Returns" and it pretty much confirms the problems with this transfer. Looks like this is as good as it gets for now:

The video quality of the anamorphic widescreen DVD release is good, although it's clear that the film's length and complex imagery posed quite a challenge for Warner's compressionists. Contrast is solid, if slightly lacking in the darkest areas of the image. There's generally decent detail, but the film looks a little too soft pretty much the whole way through. Colors are also slightly more muted than I'd prefer. The darker blue-grays of the new New Krypton scenes are a particular problem for the compression, with visible artifacting and a lot of fine image detail lost. Still, the image is smooth and on the whole satisfactory. Home theater enthusiasts will no doubt prefer the high-definition versions, but the DVD should satisfy most fans. The smaller your display, the more forgiving you'll be. The Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, on the other hand, is outstanding. This is a very active and natural sounding mix, with a smooth, unified soundfield and deep, gut-rumbling bass reinforcement.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/spinsheet111506.html
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline DVD X 3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 05:18 PM »
"Superman seen in Manila..."  Chapter 18... Around 60 minutes+ into the movie.

salamat sir. i'll check my dvd later.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #92 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 08:10 PM »
Thanks Fire for the R1 feedback. At least the audio is outstanding.... ;)

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 09:40 PM »
Saw Superman Returns R3 with the comicbook.
Looks like this one won't fly off the shelf fast.
The lack of a slipcase may be one of those factors.
The booklet is kinda big and I don't think it will fit inside the case.

Hoping for a 50% off sale. :)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #94 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 09:56 PM »
Finally saw Superman Returns today, for the first time!, yes for the first time..  ;D Did not had time then when it was in the theater. Instead of buying the advance release (p*&$%ed) , I really waited for this piece. Watched it with my Optoma 716 PJ and Philips 727K player. Yes, the grains was indeed visible, not so great PQ, the colors was so dull,  but the audio/musical arrangement was outstanding. Overall, the film was perfect and maybe the best Superman ever released. Comics was also great! Very well done. An addition to my collection. Now I had to look for my last comics released when Superman died, complete with arm band, poster, and tombstone.

Superman is BACK !! ! ;D

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:32 PM »
btw, I noticed the pixelations/grains on Superman using:
Samsung LA32S71B + Pioneer DV-696AV (on HDMI connection)....

...but then again, it is not just with one Warner Home Video released DVD where I've noticed it.... I've got a couple with the same picture quality, although some just looks great (not so noticable pixelations/grains).  :o

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 11:44 AM »
I visited Astro-Podium awhile ago...the cashier commented that mas mabili pa x-men3 dvd kesa "Superman Returns" dvd...kasi, bumili ako ng x-men3...heheh...

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #97 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 02:14 PM »
I visited Astro-Podium awhile ago...the cashier commented that mas mabili pa x-men3 dvd kesa "Superman Returns" dvd...kasi, bumili ako ng x-men3...heheh...

That's misleading.  Marami kasi bumili ng Ultimate Collection.  Hindi na mag dodouble dip yan sa Superman Returns.  Not to mention those who ordered on line.

;D
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006 at 07:33 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 12:18 AM »
saw one the other day... a slipcase together with the comicbook could have been nice. Consistent with other Warner DE releases.

Offline Gideon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Galactic Bowler
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 06:50 AM »
Hintayin ko na lang mag SALE yung P650.00
Begin 2 Imagine
[img]http://http://i3

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 07:18 AM »
saw one the other day... a slipcase together with the comicbook could have been nice. Consistent with other Warner DE releases.

Maybe one reason why they didn't come out with a deluxe edition is that the comic book was not of the same size as the DVD case -- mahirap i-package sa slipcase, hindi kagaya ng Batman Begins, Constantine at V for Vendetta.

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 07:22 AM by rafgar »

Offline nebula

• Apprentice
  • Wat species r u?
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 07:44 AM »
Hintayin ko na lang mag SALE yung P650.00
Sorry to rain on your parade, but the P650 price comes with a comic book. I would give it a 5 percent chance that it would even reach a sale event (given the box office results of the movie). Most probable, you will see the P599 copy going down to P475. So if you are really curious about the comic book, I suggest getting a copy now.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #102 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 11:41 AM »
Sorry to rain on your parade, but the P650 price comes with a comic book. I would give it a 5 percent chance that it would even reach a sale event (given the box office results of the movie). Most probable, you will see the P599 copy going down to P475. So if you are really curious about the comic book, I suggest getting a copy now.

Hahahaha!!! I agree bro!  To this day actually & at least to my knowledge, they never discounted the all Warner's DE.  Yes the 2disc editions were lowered but not the DE with comic book.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 12:03 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the reason that there isn't a slipcase is that the Superman Returns DE is not a standard R3 release that's available in all territories. Warner put it together for markets where the DVD + comic book combo does extremely well -- including the Philippines.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 12:03 PM by firewired »

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
so that's why ala sya slipcase....held off buying kasi this one...hmm....will probably get one later from Tower Records...kasi, will be using my BPI Edge para may 10% discount ako :)

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 01:00 PM »
deluxe edition  with comic book  from cd wow for a limited time :)

It's not actually a comic book but a condensed edition of Superman: The Ultimate Guide by DK.
Listen to the silence...

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #106 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 01:59 PM »
similar with the local release nga,here's R3 korean LE 3 disc borrowed pic ;)

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 05:14 PM »
similar with the local release nga,here's R3 korean LE 3 disc borrowed pic ;)

It seems they included the title "Look, Up In the Sky:  The Amazing Story of Superman" as the third disc.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:24 PM »

Maybe the one with the comic book won't reach SALE time, but I think I heard that line before with Titanic and Narnia.  And they all went down way below expectations.  If a DVD costing 900 or 850 at reg price can go down to 299-350, I expect the new releases to do the same in time. 
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:25 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #109 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 08:38 AM »
Haven't seen any DE Constantine/Batman Begins/Corpse Bride/Vendetta below SRP by Warner...... ::)
Still...I might be wrong coz SMR 2 disc DVD is not selling like Hotcakes here....
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 at 08:41 AM by Ashburndaride »

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #110 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 02:14 PM »
It seems they included the title "Look, Up In the Sky:  The Amazing Story of Superman" as the third disc.

yup...so nothing spcecial mas ok pa sana kung soundtrack

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 01:59 PM »
Maybe the one with the comic book won't reach SALE time, but I think I heard that line before with Titanic and Narnia.  And they all went down way below expectations.  If a DVD costing 900 or 850 at reg price can go down to 299-350, I expect the new releases to do the same in time. 
But those are Viva releases where 299 after 6 months is almost a given.  With Warner,  it will eventually drop to 350 (ie Harry Potter 1-3) but only for the disc only version.  Like Corpse Bride before it, the LE probably will not reach the bargain bin...
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 02:00 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline pointman1

• Apprentice
  • raising the standard!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 07:25 AM »
so that's why ala sya slipcase....held off buying kasi this one...hmm....will probably get one later from Tower Records...kasi, will be using my BPI Edge para may 10% discount ako :)

was in singapore last week and they had the slipcase.

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 08:54 PM »
any difference with the R3 and R1 versions such as picture quality and others? If the R3 has poor picture quality, is the R1 version also like that?   ???
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2006 at 08:55 PM by pioneer »
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #114 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 10:07 PM »
any difference with the R3 and R1 versions such as picture quality and others? If the R3 has poor picture quality, is the R1 version also like that?   ???

Your questions have been answered in much detail on page 3 of this very same thread.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2006 at 10:11 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Nov 27, 2006 at 10:47 AM »
Got my copy from Astro Vision a week ago. Two and a half hours of awesome entertainment. Galing talaga!! Poor video quality though. Still can't figure out why didn't they just fit the whole movie in a 9gb DL disk just like what Lord of the Rings extended edition. Malamang mas gumanda pa ng konti video quality. Audio is perfect by the way considering DOLBY lang sya.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Nov 27, 2006 at 11:00 AM »
Some reviewers are saying that the quality is mediocre due  to Warner's current compression technology platform  which cannot properly handle the material due to its purely high-definition digital source. Maybe they should have outsourced the mastering process to Lucasfilm which did a bang-up job with Star Wars Episode 3.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Nov 27, 2006 at 07:31 PM »
Still can't figure out why didn't they just fit the whole movie in a 9gb DL disk just like what Lord of the Rings extended edition.

Why? Di ba DVD-9 naman ito? I don't think Warner uses single layer discs in its releases. I think the video complaints arise from an insufficient compression technology from a high definition source, as stated by Sir Firewired in his post before this.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2006 at 07:34 PM by allanmandy »

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Nov 27, 2006 at 08:47 PM »
Maybe they should have outsourced the mastering process to Lucasfilm which did a bang-up job with Star Wars Episode 3.

TUMPAK!! They should have relied on someone else's work. Di ko nga alam kung pano naka-pasa sa kanila yung final result.

Why? Di ba DVD-9 naman ito? I don't think Warner uses single layer discs in its releases. I think the video complaints arise from an insufficient compression technology from a high definition source, as stated by Sir Firewired in his post before this.

Yep. It's dual layer alright. But since while they're at it, they should have maximize it. Movie disk was just more than 7gb.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
to supplement the discussions regarding picture quality on page 3...ill post highdefdigest's review of Superman Returns in HD DVD:

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

'Superman Returns' hits HD DVD concurrently with 'Superman: The Movie' and 'Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut,' and it's interesting to compare the films to see how far the art of motion picture photography and special effects have developed over the years. Where the early 'Superman' films had to rely on rear-screen photography, matte paintings and rotoscoping to make audiences believe a man could fly, 'Superman Returns' is purely a digital creation. In fact, it was shot entirely on HD cameras, which certainly gives it the edge in terms of cutting-edge special effects and visual razzmatazz. But is newer necessarily better?

I'll start with what I find lacking about 'Superman Returns' -- it is so pristine looking that it feels sterile. HD cameras tend to flatten images out a bit, as depth of field is created not optically but instead digitally. Backgrounds tend to look like pixel paintings, and the image impossibly clean. Though I can't say I want to go back to wholly analog filmmaking, I do often miss the realness, the grain, the simply aliveness of celluloid.

That said, 'Superman Returns' looks mighty good on HD DVD. Aside from some softness to the image -- primarily on backgrounds and some CGI effects containing lots of motion blur -- it is quite three-dimensional. The source material is as clean and sharp-as-a-tack as you're going to see on high-def. Colors are quite bold but generally not oversaturated. Singer and his director of photography Newton Thomas Sigel generally limit bold hues to primary colors, so Superman's red and blue outfit and the more yellow and greens of Lex Luthor's lair are striking. I also like the silver-ish, metallic look of the Daily Planet and the more lush, natural vistas of Smallville, both of which work nicely as contrast.

Technical aspects of this transfer are also excellent. Presented in 2.40:1 widescreen and 1080p/VC-1 video, compression artifacts are non-existent. Posterization and macroblocking never intrude, and colors appear free of chroma noise. I only noticed some slight digital fuzz in the darkest scenes -- noise is slight in darker patches of solid color, such as the later scene when Superman visits Lois and Richard White's home on the water. Hardly major, such slight imperfections areall that keep 'Superman Returns' from rating a five-star transfer.

here's the full link: Superman Returns (HD DVD) Review