Author Topic: SkyCable drops JackTV, BTV and Solar Sports  (Read 39957 times)

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

It's a win-win situation for Solar - Sky's forced to carry them, so they won't have lost ad revenues due to a large decrease in number of viewers.

Even without RJTV, Sky will still be carrying Solar by default in RPN.

The clear winner here is RJ. With blocktime money from Solar, this is manna from heaven  :D  :D

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 515
Any word if Conan/Letterman/Jon Stewart will follow Ellen's lead?

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 550
saw something very disturbing last  night: solar is putting dave letterman on etc and switching conan to jack?!?! why do a skycable?(why fix something that ain't broke?) nooo!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
The official announcement is in a 4-page section of The Philippine Star today.

Starting January 1, 2008:

ETC is on: SBN 21 (Free TV), SkyCable Channel 16, Destiny Cable Channel 30, Cable Link Channel 50, Dream Channel 27

2nd Avenue is on: RJTV 29 (Free TV), SkyCable Channel 19, Destiny Cable Channel 31, Dream Channel 36

C/S is on: RPN 9 (Free TV), SkyCable Channel 14, Destiny Cable Channel 14, Cable Link 14 (Wala sa Dream?  ???)

Jack TV is on: Destiny, 300 other local cable operators
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
they are actually doing test broadcasts already of ETC on SBN and 2nd Avenue on RJTV..

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
am i right to say na with these developments... ang higit na panalo rito ay ang Sky? they still get to show solar offerings without paying a cent for it... and thus mitigate their loss to their subscribers. now there is less need to change their cable provider.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 515
Well, we still lose JackTV. No Daily Show.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Just as I've said, Solar needs the eyeballs. Now they are paying for it (unlike before when they were the ones getting paid by Sky.) Bottom line is still money.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
am i right to say na with these developments... ang higit na panalo rito ay ang Sky? they still get to show solar offerings without paying a cent for it... and thus mitigate their loss to their subscribers. now there is less need to change their cable provider.

on the outside, it does look that way.  but when you analyze it....sky still loses.  sky might not lose subscribers that much as compared to before solar decided to go free tv.  but i bet some would still switch mainly for BTV.  sky also loses the fees they charge solar.  while solar can now entertain endorsements and advertisers mostly from companies who advertise on free tv.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
sky also loses the fees they charge solar. 

Baligtad yata. It is Sky paying Solar just like Sky paying HBO. Kaya nga nagkalabuan dahil sa ad revenues.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
Baligtad yata. It is Sky paying Solar just like Sky paying HBO. Kaya nga nagkalabuan dahil sa ad revenues.

but HBO is an international affiliate isn't it.  so sky really would be paying the rights to be able to air HBO.  while solar pays sky to be able to air their own solar local channels on sky's coverage area.  that's why sky and solar had a disagreement because sky wanted a cut on the sponsors solar was getting while solar stands pat on a fixed fee they pay sky.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Nope. You got it all wrong.

Whether local or international, the cable operator pays the program owner the right to carry programs. ANC, Lifestyle and Cinema One collects subscription fees from cable ops. It is unthinkable that Solar pays cable operators around the country so that they will be carried. If such is the case,  lahat ng cable operators dapat happy kasi, me kita from subscribers, me bayad pa from program suppliers!

It all boils down in the scramble for the limited ad expenditure pie. Solar is cornering significant share of the pie away from the other channels kaya nag-ipitan. Isama mo pa yung Pacquiao factor kaya nagkalabuan.
Kung wala sanang ads sa cable channels, this would not be happening. I've been to a Thai cable company several years back and they delay airing of satellite programs in the cable system by 10 seconds to properly pre-empt paid ads carried. Bawal kasi dun ang ads sa cable channels. Ewan ko ngayon kung puwede na.

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
Wala na Super Bowl? Since NFL games are aired in Solar Sports. Balls had programs that were really balls when it was previewed here in Bacolod anyways. :p
Tongue

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Here's my understanding of what will happen by Jan 2008:

1. 2nd Ave, ETC, C/S and Jack TV will be moving to Free TV -- this means you can still get this with pretty much any cable operator out there (or at least the major ones)

2. BTV and Solar Sports -- will be out of Sky Cable and will be premium channels with Destiny?

On the other hand, Destiny doesn't have the Star channels. So this means that there will be no Star Sports, ESPN, Star Worls and Star Movies. Is this accurate?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline idrc23

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
solar sports, jack and btv are available in GDC. kaso ung btv nasa premium! pag jan 1 na ung btv ay nasa regular line-up. ang nasa premium ay espn star sports, super sports2!

Offline idrc23

• Collector
  • Liked:
mga interesado na magpakabit ng destiny na 3k for 1 year, just pm me ha. bigay ko ung number ng sales rep.

malapit na mawala jack at solar, at btv sa sky!!!

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
I'm expecting BTV to be part of Destiny's regular channels come January. MAski i-premium na nila lahat ng channels, wag lang BTV.  ;D

Offline idrc23

• Collector
  • Liked:
ive seen the plug of studio23 that they will gonna air the ufc 79: Nemesis sa balls din. diba my contract ang solar dito? pati what the hell happen? sulutan nanaman

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
dito sa probinsya in Leyte, there's no SBN or RJTV. bummer. UNTV and all those religious channels lang. i want my ETC fix!
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007 at 08:36 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
mga interesado na magpakabit ng destiny na 3k for 1 year, just pm me ha. bigay ko ung number ng sales rep.

malapit na mawala jack at solar, at btv sa sky!!!

Is Destiny really that affordable? 3k for a year? (P250 a month?). Are there no other charges? Time to shift from Sky to Destiny.

Offline idrc23

• Collector
  • Liked:
Is Destiny really that affordable? 3k for a year? (P250 a month?). Are there no other charges? Time to shift from Sky to Destiny.

yup

initial cash out yun. 3K na buo

Offline idrc23

• Collector
  • Liked:
from antimonopoly of pinoyexchange:

The Movement: Solar Big Switch Countdown Party!
The Movement: Solar Big Switch Countdown Party

At the break of 2008, nothing stays the same. As the clock ticks down to its final second year, a new energy from Solar Entertainment Corporation shall come alive to move your world. C/S, ETC, 2nd Ave, Jack TV, Solar Sports and Basketball TV proudly bring THE MOVEMENT: Solar Big Switch Countdown Party.

Together, let’s celebrate the biggest switch, a history-in-the-making on the Philippine TV. Be there when it happens. Eve of 2008, 11:30 pm at the Embassy parking lot, the Fort. Witness it LIVE simultaneous on RPN 9, RJ TV, SBN and on all cable systems nationwide.

Call on fans of Solar troop to the Embassy parking lot on December 31 for a new year party and fireworks display to celebrate the most beautiful development happening for C/S, 2nd Ave, Jack TV, Solar Sports and Basketball TV

Invite every Filipino nationwide to witness the event at home as it goes simultaneous on free and Cable TV.

Project this major event no one should dare to miss.

MERRY XMAS TO ALL
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM by idrc23 »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:

promo lang po ito. after the 1st year, back to standard rates w/c is mura pa rin @ P450 yata per month.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Attention Destiny subs.

Please advise if Destiny will let go of the Solar Cable channels when these are made available in free TV.

And also, please share your service experience with destiny. I used to be hooked up with them but their customer service then sucks so I had to shift.

With the shift to free TV, I still maintain that the biggest winner here are the free tv channels SBN and RJ  since this would mean additional blocktimer income for them. RPN have been he home of Solar for the longest time hence its not something new. With the shift to free TV of three of Solar's channels, the  'feared' migration of subs from Sky have somehow been mitigated except for those who wants their basketball 27/7.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
if you're really not into BTV (so you won't pay for the premium channels)...then shifting to destiny would certainly be beneficial.  just imagine paying about half of what you pay sky.  that alone is reason enough to switch.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
mmmm,  No thank you.

I like my cinemax, anc, teleradyo, etc.

I really love to have the History Channel so Ill get myTV for that. Been with Destiny, didn't like their exclusive lineup. And its a pain to get serviced during signal outage.

Offline idrc23

• Collector
  • Liked:
if you're really not into BTV (so you won't pay for the premium channels)...then shifting to destiny would certainly be beneficial.  just imagine paying about half of what you pay sky.  that alone is reason enough to switch.

in jan 2008 khit ndi kana mag avail ng premium kasi ch 34 ang btv sa destiny

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
in jan 2008 khit ndi kana mag avail ng premium kasi ch 34 ang btv sa destiny

That's even better!!!  You get BTV at no extra cost.  Even if DEstiny increases their fee...it would still be cheaper by maybe 200-300 compared to the "stripped down" Skycable.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 550
feel so sad that solar is doing a skycable(fixing something that ain't broke) not only is conan moving to jacktv, saturday night live is also movingto jacktv! dave letterman is moving to etc but i much prefer conan!!!

Offline borly

• Collector
  • pinoyDVD
  • Liked:
Re: Solar Entertainment Channels will be removed on SkyCable
« Reply #179 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 07:07 PM »
first they shut down our cable forcing us to get that 1.5k digibox and then now this?! F%$CK SKY CABLE! >:(

the same thing happened with my girl's house. it's a good thing they haven't required us to use that cumbersome digibox.  :(

is it me or are the test broadcast signals on the free tv's a bit static laden?
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2007 at 07:10 PM by borly »