Author Topic: Sharing a thing or two- from experience  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Big Mac

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Village Idiot
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sharing a thing or two- from experience
« on: Oct 29, 2007 at 05:58 PM »
I have been seriously researching the local (Manila) dealers for a Flat Panel for many months now, and have finally made my purchase.

Here is the ONLY lesson learned:

Go get your unit from the specialized AV Stores.

1. The prices are ridiculous compared to the appliance dealers.  Let them sell you your next washing machine or ref. Period.

2. The Q&A portion is a useless exercise with appliance dealers  They will tell you what is in the brochure (which a serious buyer already knows)  Then will scratch their head or "itanong ko muna sir" when you ask for the deeper details like, how many A/V connections?  Whats the voltage consumption?  Does it have an upscaling chip that process it to 1080p? 

3. Specialized dealers will LET YOU personally test units, bring your own discs, and will even HOOK the unit or the last 2 choices in their demo rooms and magpkasawa ka doon. (Mine even allowed me to bring beer, yes beer, to the tuning room and left me to my tweaking -all three hours of it)  Their owners or experienced technicians (not salespeople) will handle your questions there and then, and if not satisfactory, "bossing mag surf muna ako ha and research some more, I will call you personally"

4. Technical Support is personalized and always available. (just get their email/phone coordinates of course  ;))  Even if you are still in the canvass mode and actually made no purchase yet, these dealers are happy to reply to your queries.  And after sales support?  man, there is a God!

5. Delivery is almost always on the same day, and installers have "extra" supplies. Need good speaker cables and adaptors, have no fear. Whats a good setup parameter? which plug goes to which jack?  the installers are experienced.  Sa appliance dealer, que horror, , Ser Malay ko dyan, delivery man lang ako, paki sign dito.   Oh these appliance stores prides themselves in free delivery and installation, but who here has experienced something like, " :D

5. Did I mention the price difference between them is ridiculous?  If youre lucky, you may even get perks like COD, check terms, utang, or even lend you equipment (test discs, avrs, adaptors etc ) for a night or two.

And for the best dealer out there..... (drum rolls)  PM nalang, kaibigan ko na sila halos lahat.   ;D  Well I got my AV and HT equipment and supplies from various dealers from Makati, Shangrila, Megamall, Trinoma, Rob Pioneer, and each have their strengths naman. 

Another equally important lesson pala:

Let your eyes decide.  And imagine the unit in that room where want  place it.  Specs are good and helpful but at the end of the day, those are just statistics.  I actually ended up with a display which I never even considered initially.

Good luck fellow consumers.

Big Mac

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Sharing a thing or two- from experience
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 11:55 AM »
Nice tips sir. :)
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 01:59 AM »
Nicely said sir! ;)

Offline Philjonc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
specialization will always be an edge. ;)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 08:19 PM »
Thank you sir. Learned something new today! ;D

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
Same experience, well said!  :) :) :)

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 10:04 AM »
Well said. Thank you for appreciating our service.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 11:29 AM »

1. The prices are ridiculous compared to the appliance dealers.  Let them sell you your next washing machine or ref. Period.

isn't this supposed to read: "prices are ridiculous compared to specialized AV stores."?

Specialized dealers will LET YOU personally test units, bring your own discs, and will even HOOK the unit or the last 2 choices in their demo rooms and magpkasawa ka doon.  all three hours of it

wow... haven't been to a store where we stayed for more than an hour. i always feel i'm obliged to pay for the unit already after the first hour.  ;D i should bring you along on my next audition.  ;)
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 11:30 AM »
Same experience, well said!  :) :) :)

sent you pm, sir.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 12:06 PM »
Ibang experience kapag sa mga AV stores ka bibili talaga!  It's a personalized service ika nga.  ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 11:16 PM »
I have been seriously researching the local (Manila) dealers for a Flat Panel for many months now, and have finally made my purchase.

3. Specialized dealers will LET YOU personally test units, bring your own discs, and will even HOOK the unit or the last 2 choices in their demo rooms and magpkasawa ka doon. (Mine even allowed me to bring beer, yes beer, to the tuning room and left me to my tweaking -all three hours of it)  Their owners or experienced technicians (not salespeople) will handle your questions there and then, and if not satisfactory, "bossing mag surf muna ako ha and research some more, I will call you personally"

Big Mac

Sir Big Mac,

Nasa office pa yung mga bote, we can always do a refill anytime, malakas tayo sa Admin! hehehe cheers enjoy your new unit bro! Bottoms uuupp!!! ;)

Offline Big Mac

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Village Idiot
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 12:32 AM »
Suskoporsanto lumayo ka sa akin jeff!!!!   Akoy pinabili lang ng suka ng nanay ko sa tindahan sa kanto, naligaw sa shop mo at lintik kung ano ano pa nabili ko!

pati yung utol ko napapa airsoft mo.

Pag nagkita kayo ni Mat, sabihin mo salamat sa badabing badabom badabambambam nya.

Ill see you soon bro.

Sige na nga, lets have a brewskie soon.  First round is on me.

Para hindi OT, and in line with the my previous advisory:  IT DOESNT HURT TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE.  ;)

Sir Big Mac,

Nasa office pa yung mga bote, we can always do a refill anytime, malakas tayo sa Admin! hehehe cheers enjoy your new unit bro! Bottoms uuupp!!! ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 12:45 AM »
Hahaha.... gising ka pa ha! ;) kita kami ng utol mo mamaya para sa airsoft. Txt me nalang nasa game na ako mamaya..hehehe cheers sir! PS3 naman sunod yan! ;)

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 02:41 AM »
Hi sirs, can you pls tell me what are the exact names of the stores that you recommend. I'm really planning on searching an LCD which suits me. Pls indicate also the location. Tnx!
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 07:34 AM »
Hi sirs, can you pls tell me what are the exact names of the stores that you recommend. I'm really planning on searching an LCD which suits me. Pls indicate also the location. Tnx!

sent you pm, sir.

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 02:39 AM »
sent you pm, sir.

Thanks for the PM. I'll look into it. First glance on the prices are very good!
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 08:57 AM »
Well said. Thank you for appreciating our service.
???  ::) ang tindi ah.

Offline anemone

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 08:56 AM »
I'm scouting for a LCD TV and so far I've only looked in the appliances store.  This thread is so helpful. Please provide me the name of these stores and its addresses.  Thank you!

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 09:14 AM »
I'm scouting for a LCD TV and so far I've only looked in the appliances store.  This thread is so helpful. Please provide me the name of these stores and its addresses.  Thank you!

Sent you pm, sir.

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 09:39 AM »

sent pm sir. ;)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
2. The Q&A portion is a useless exercise with appliance dealers  They will tell you what is in the brochure (which a serious buyer already knows)  Then will scratch their head or "itanong ko muna sir" when you ask for the deeper details like, how many A/V connections?  Whats the voltage consumption?  Does it have an upscaling chip that process it to 1080p? 

The Q&A session is indeed a terrible experience. Sometimes I witnessed & feel sorry for the consumers who totally got lost by the salesman's explanation. Shopping & buying from the specialized AV Stores is great experience.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007 at 09:52 AM by pchin »

Offline BIEN_CRESCINI

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 10:52 AM »
This is really true - It's really better to buy from specialized AV stores.

Had my experience when I went to Trinoma to purchase Sharp 37 from Jeff (but ended up buying Panasonic plasma 42PV7)

I was looking for an ATM to withdraw (sayang din yung difference ng card and cash price); e may pakulo ang Anson's
duon - so I checked out the Panasonic I was about to buy to hear what the sales guy has to say. Aside from the price
difference (and what a difference!) this guy went out his way to say that the units the specialized AV stores are selling
are not covered by warranty (and that warranties - if any are just lip service) and that these units are "OLD STOCKS"
and that the unit I am buying does not have a tuner! (what a way get customer - just discredit your competitor)

Anyway - I was wise enough to understand that what he is saying is to disuade me from getting the same unit at a cheaper price.

I am now enoying my Plasma -and can't wait to get 100 hrs out of it so I can tinker with the setting.
BTW - Is this really necessary?  I was advised by the installer that I just use the default for the meantime, and wait
for at least a month (100 hrs) before I customize the settings.

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007 at 04:32 PM by BIEN_CRESCINI »

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 05:57 PM »
This is really true - It's really better to buy from specialized AV stores.

Had my experience when I went to Trinoma to purchase Sharp 37 from Jeff (but ended up buying Panasonic plasma 42PV7)

I was looking for an ATM to withdraw (sayang din yung difference ng card and cash price); e may pakulo ang Anson's
duon - so I checked out the Panasonic I was about to buy to hear what the sales guy has to say. Aside from the price
difference (and what a difference!) this guy went out his way to say that the units the specialized AV stores are selling
are not covered by warranty (and that warranties - if any are just lip service) and that these units are "OLD STOCKS"
and that the unit I am buying does not have a tuner! (what a way get customer - just discredit your competitor)

Anyway - I was wise enough to understand that what he is saying is to disuade me from getting the same unit at a cheaper price.

I am now enoying my Plasma -and can't wait to get 100 hrs out of it so I can tinker with the setting.
BTW - Is this really necessary?  I was advised by the installer that I just use the default for the meantime, and wait
for at least a month (100 hrs) before I customize the settings.

Hehehe.... ganun talaga, sabi nga nila ako daw gumawa ng mga units ko..hehehehe
thanks for the purchase sir! congrats w/ur new toy. ;D

Offline BeeGeez

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 01:57 PM »

And for the best dealer out there..... (drum rolls)  PM nalang, kaibigan ko na sila halos lahat.   ;D  Well I got my AV and HT equipment and supplies from various dealers from Makati, Shangrila, Megamall, Trinoma, Rob Pioneer, and each have their strengths naman. 

Bosing,
I'm planning 2 buy an LCD or plasma TV soon. I hope you can send me a list of all the dealers you know and their "strengths." Malaking tulong po yon sa kin.
beegeez

Offline pidro314

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 02:50 PM »
Mga Sirs! Ako din, pa PM naman ng list of AV Dealers & addresses. Thanks

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:23 PM »
Hehehe.... ganun talaga, sabi nga nila ako daw gumawa ng mga units ko..hehehehe
thanks for the purchase sir! congrats w/ur new toy. ;D

ah kaya siguro theater works ang pangalan ng store mo (works kasi gawa mo! hahaha!)! ang lupit mo talaga jeff akalain mo ikaw ang gumawa nung mga nabili namin! malamang yung mga free dvds dati ikaw din ang may gawa!  ;D

hmmm siguro pati yung mga hdmi cable ikaw din may gawa noh!  :D

peace out bossing! more power! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM by juric »
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:53 PM »
ah kaya siguro theater works ang pangalan ng store mo (works kasi gawa mo! hahaha!)! ang lupit mo talaga jeff akalain mo ikaw ang gumawa nung mga nabili namin! malamang yung mga free dvds dati ikaw din ang may gawa!  ;D

hmmm siguro pati yung mga hdmi cable ikaw din may gawa noh!  :D

peace out bossing! more power! ;)

Hahaha.. ;D

Offline HouseBum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 04:02 PM »
i) Research, research, research! The web contains a lot of site and user reviews of TV's so read through a few of those, but don't just rely on web reviews. Then, visit as many stores as you can and audition the units you would like. Don't bring cash or your CC's when in the auditioning phase so you won't get tempted by a sweet talking salesman to buy before your ready.
Then compare the models based on web reviews and how you saw them. Remember the purpose of the TV or the source you will most use the TV for (DVD, BluRay, Game console) and choose 2-3 units that best fit this purpose.

ii) Stick to the budget! It's easily tempting to shoot for the stars but you migth regret it! Though, its also important to BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD! Do some cash flow projections after the sale and see if you can afford to buy that upscaling DVD player later so you can get more screen real estate!

iii) Decide on the specific model and make the purchase! Take extra precaution if paying in cash. Also, it will be easier to schedule the purchase rather than hurrying off after office!

iv) It was the best decision at the time! Some people tend to second guess after the purchase! Just remember if it was a relatively old model, it will get replaced! And if it was relatively new, it might get cheaper! Nothing you can do about it now! If your pockets become lonely, invite family/friends over to see your Tele and let their comments soothe your wallet/ego! Besides if you researched properly you shouldn't be having any regrets!

v) Enjoy your unit as much as you can! Heck its still under warranty!