Author Topic: Speaker suggestions for Rotel amp  (Read 16444 times)

Offline bhongskie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speaker suggestions for Rotel amp
« on: Feb 29, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
guys, based on your listening experiences what are speakers worth auditioning to pair with a RB1070 + Denon pre-amp?  My budget is around 30K-40K and I prefer floorstanders because my music preference lean more on new wave, pop, rock, disco, techno though I also listen to other genre like jazz and audiophile recordings often.  Btw, the speakers will be for music lang.

I want to try different speakers naman.  Previously had my amp connected to Wharfe evo30 but I now use the evo 30 for my ht.  Had auditioned a B&W 603 S3 paired with a high-end denon receiver but I'm not impressed with the sound, to think that B&W is the natural mate for Rotel.

Would appreciate any suggestions. 

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Speaker suggestions for Rotel amp
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
Dali Ikon 6  ;D

Offline Philjonc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 04:33 PM »
Try out Rene Rivo's Triangle, I believe he has a floorstander on sale around 40k.

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 04:40 PM »
Dali Ikon 6  ;D

actualy this is one in my shortlist although budget-wise nasa high side at 48K.  will audition this at AA. thanks ctlim   ;)

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
sir Philjonc, what particular triangle model? and can you please share contact number of sir rene rivo?  thanks

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 04:50 PM »
check out wiredstate may second hand na Dali si MoJazz.  ;D

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 05:20 PM »
Also, try to audition Paradigm speakers...

monitors and studio models.  :)
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 05:46 PM »
I'm eyeing the monitor 7, actually one of the top candidates.  heard the monitor bookshelf paired with cayin amp and cdp, super ganda sa pandinig ko but heard it playing jazz.  how will the monitor 7 fare kaya in rock and new wave cuts.  can't wait to audition.

thanks sirs for the suggestions.

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 05:49 PM »
check out wiredstate may second hand na Dali si MoJazz.  ;D

yeah i think i came across that post, parang dali suite2.8 ata benta nya.  will check again baka within budget range. 

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 06:23 PM »
For your kind of music you might want to give dynaudio audience 72 or jbl studiol L 880/890 a try although I think its more than 40t :(
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2008 at 08:39 PM by ricky »

Offline firm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 07:37 PM »
pare tawag ka sa audioworld kay joey meron MONITOR AUDIO RS SERIES super ok sya.

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 12:01 PM »
sir Philjonc, what particular triangle model? and can you please share contact number of sir rene rivo?  thanks

Rene's shop is near cash and carry in palanan, chech this sites.

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8096

http://www.hifidelityaudio.co.uk/loudspeaker_triangle_altea.htm

Offline ches

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 08:08 PM »
I'm eyeing the monitor 7, actually one of the top candidates.  heard the monitor bookshelf paired with cayin amp and cdp, super ganda sa pandinig ko but heard it playing jazz.  how will the monitor 7 fare kaya in rock and new wave cuts.  can't wait to audition.

thanks sirs for the suggestions.

I got the monitor 7 v5  happy with it, its easy to drive at 93db paired with t-amp and low powred tube. I'm not familiar with rock music pero the bottom end of the frequency medyo kulang ang monitor 7, pero sa mids and highs it is nice. try to audition it sa shang with the rock and new wave music.

rs6 is good also, for me its better than the monitor 7 pero medyo at the high price of the budget. around 45t.

if the dali ikon6 is out of the budget you can try the dali concept 6.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008 at 08:14 PM by ches »

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
@ sir ricky, gusto ko man ng dynaudio di ko afford.   :(

@ firm, nasa shorlist din MA rs6 and the older s6 kaso out of budget range din.  :(

anyway, di naman ako nagmamadali.  the auditioning will take some time coz i want my next audio speaker to be SARS-free for as long as possible. 

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
how about a sonus faber concertino with stands?

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
how about a sonus faber concertino with stands?

never heard a sonus faber speaker in action (would really love to hear one) but just the mention of the brand makes me twitch because i know mahal to at baka di ko kaya.

i bet the concertinos can give some floorstanders a run for their money given ample amplification.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 04:41 PM »
Check out the Sonus Fabers at Upscale Audio. Last I checked 2 years ago, a prewoned concertino there was priced at 40T a pair.  Nice grill. 

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 04:46 PM »
^^^^  actually meron sa audioworld price at 30k with stands na... but some say the going rate is supposed to be 26k.

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 05:58 PM »
ok na ba yung 30K with stands?  if magkaron ng time mapasyalan nga.  Audioworld is the one in Banawe right?

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 09:25 PM »
tama sir, yun nga ang nasa banawe, give the Monitor Audios a try also, tutal nandun ka na rin  ;)

"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 12:11 AM »

Had auditioned a B&W 603 S3 paired with a high-end denon receiver but I'm not impressed with the sound, to think that B&W is the natural mate for Rotel.

Amplifiers in receivers cannot hold a candle to a standalone power amp like a Rotel in the same power range.   No matter how high end the receiver is.  So I don't see how you can judge the performance of B&W mated to a Rotel when you only heard it mated to a receiver.   ;D  Denon receivers are not known to behave nicely when presented with a speaker that dips down to 3 ohms at frequencies below 200hz which B&W speakers are notorious doing.  This probably accounts for a thin-sounding result.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2008 at 12:38 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 11:08 AM »
B&W's with the exception of the 800 nautilus series are voiced using Rotel amplification and electronics. it should be a good match however it also depends on the other ancilliary equipment used.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
Amplifiers in receivers cannot hold a candle to a standalone power amp like a Rotel in the same power range.   No matter how high end the receiver is.  So I don't see how you can judge the performance of B&W mated to a Rotel when you only heard it mated to a receiver.   ;D  Denon receivers are not known to behave nicely when presented with a speaker that dips down to 3 ohms at frequencies below 200hz which B&W speakers are notorious doing.  This probably accounts for a thin-sounding result.

sorry sir av, got this all mixed up. my hands cannot catch up with what is in my mind that i wanted to say   ;D

what i mean is, i heard a 603 s3 with a denon AND a 602 S3 with rotel ra02 I think and parang there is something in the sound that i wanted to hear but the pair cannot provide that something, parang kulang.

to be honest, i really wanted a B&W to sound right in my setup but I dont think I will be able to home audition most if not all of my speaker choices.   

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 12:53 PM »
Dynaudio!!!

I once used my Dyn FS to my Rotel, with a tube CDp & tube pre-amp, wonderful!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:18 PM »
Denon receivers are not known to behave nicely when presented with a speaker that dips down to 3 ohms at frequencies below 200hz which B&W speakers are notorious doing.  This probably accounts for a thin-sounding result.

I agree sir, & I think almost all receivers, not just denon, will exhibit this behaviour for such a demanding load.

I have demoed B&W's for so many times & couldnt like it too. Till I heard a 601s3 powered by a hybrid integrated with torroidal power supply. I instantly became a B&W fan.

Check out the Sonus Fabers at Upscale Audio. Last I checked 2 years ago, a prewoned concertino there was priced at 40T a pair.  Nice grill. 

Upscale audio is now closed and the employees have opened a store in Makati cinema Square :

FIBAC Audio

They have SF there when I passed by.

FYI lang for our readers.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:19 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 09:19 AM »
Serado na pala Upscale, silly me.  ;D  Thanks for that heads up, Matz. 

B&W and Sonus Faber speakers are among the most highly reactive loads because of their complex crossover networks which I think uses 4th order Linkwitz-Riley types that are more precise and steep in their cutoff frequencies requiring a more sophisticated/elaborate crossovers.   They trade off efficiency and ease of driving for a more euphonic sonic character and in the case of B&W a flatter response.  But they require amps that can adequately drive and control them.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 09:29 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:29 PM »
Serado na pala Upscale, silly me.  ;D  Thanks for that heads up, Matz. 

B&W and Sonus Faber speakers are among the most highly reactive loads because of their complex crossover networks which I think uses 4th order Linkwitz-Riley types that are more precise and steep in their cutoff frequencies requiring a more sophisticated/elaborate crossovers.   They trade off efficiency and ease of driving for a more euphonic sonic character and in the case of B&W a flatter response.  But they require amps that can adequately drive and control them.

Its very recent sir, I didnt know it myself till the new shop owners called me.  ;D

I agree sir. My brother in law uses a SF grand piano, Krell power amps plus a Yamaha 659  ;D (he said he isnt hardcore naman daw). When his Krell needed repairs recently, he had to use the Yamaha. He said the difference was very far & pretty obvious... and that came from someone who isnt hardcore...

And of course, its a KRELL!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:32 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:51 PM »
Exactly.  And the size of the sealed SF Piano crossover inside that beautiful cabinet is already as large and as hefty as a modest receiver.   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline atong_ang

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 02:03 PM »
Upscale audio is now closed and the employees have opened a store in Makati cinema Square :

Mga Sir,
I believe Upscale Audio will open in a new location, Libis beside S & R. Thanks...

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 05:06 PM »
B&W and Sonus Faber speakers are among the most highly reactive loads because of their complex crossover networks which I think uses 4th order Linkwitz-Riley types that are more precise and steep in their cutoff frequencies requiring a more sophisticated/elaborate crossovers.   They trade off efficiency and ease of driving for a more euphonic sonic character and in the case of B&W a flatter response.  But they require amps that can adequately drive and control them.

Maybe dynaudios can be included in this list of "harder to drive" speakers. Although Dynes, at least the audience series, have a more linear 4 ohm behaviour. I tried them with high model receivers vs. Rotel power amps, the improvement was undeniable with the power amps (subjective  :D).

Even the Dyne retailers here agree that they sound better w/ amps than just receivers, even high model ones.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 05:14 PM by MAtZTER »