Author Topic: NEX10 Group Buy  (Read 7964 times)

Offline pabili

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Your Garbage ... My treasure!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NEX10 Group Buy
« Reply #30 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
one pair for me please..... ;D

Sir Tony,
remember 1 thread giving justice to classical/orchestration music?

I have tried Strauss waltzes by Mantovani, and some other fave classicals before and again last night. With X3, the Mantovani pieces can be played at loud levels with no apparent strains, listenable, and very clear. Am not exposed to all possible speakers, but I can say X3 is quite close to what I also want to hear in dynamic orchestra pieces (considering my past speaker exposure).

But X3 just uses N3 at 2.4khz - the usable freq of n10 seems promising if designed appropriately.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #31 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM »
suggestion lang po. para na rin sa mga balak mag-diy. aside from the "projected deal-price" revelation, sana may magpost din ng 93db+woofer/bass drivers available sa market na pwede i-match.

based on x3 reviews, aluminumcone bass/mids ginamit para mabilis, match sa n3 kasi baka di magmatch, mahuli ang bass sa ribbons. x3 excelled in dynamics and pacing, di nahuhuli, di nagugulo esp sa orchestral, classical pieces kayang-kaya change of pace. for now, i plan to use the x3 aluminum cone drivers & x3 xovers with the ribbons until i find a suitable woofer to match with the ribbons.

tnx :)
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:29 AM by oweidah »

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:14 AM »
For more info about the Neo 10, I've found a pdf spec sheet here: http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCat/images/documents/pdfs/NEO-10%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

I've been planning to diy line array to mimic Radia R-500, but it will take a lot of money to do so... Kaya pass muna...

Sir threadlock,

no need to spend so much money to experience the beauty of line array.

the pro model of line array is not really necessary - in fact, in home use, this is only needed if you keep standing up/sitting down while listening. Further, if you also thought of putting n3 as tweets, definitely, the cost will be high, considering planar has diff sonic directivity - to it will require you 2 N3 for every N10 (at the very least)!

My proposed design is based on 2 N10 only (per speaker, 8ohms - for wide amp compatibility)

No need to use N3, since N10 can do the N3 at some freq. N3 still lacks some air in upper spectrum, so it is better to use any efficient (to be attenuated) horn or dome (a good one is the Konzert titanium dome which we have good experience with - and high sensitvity as well) to only compensate a little on the high end. Better to use conventional tweets (being point source, instead of line source) because its dispersion is not much of an issue. Better yet, if you can get a tweets that can be angled to your listening ear level.

N10 mounted in a line, with the tweets mounted on the mid of the 2 N10. this mid section should be positioned ear level at your listening position. Thus, you have +/- 10 inches line array from your ear level - then enjoy the exotic sound of planars.

The base of these planar box is probably where you can mount the LF driver. If you are interested, I can email you diff variations which will not require so much money.

With the above, cost will not be that much.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
Sir threadlock,

no need to spend so much money to experience the beauty of line array.

the pro model of line array is not really necessary - in fact, in home use, this is only needed if you keep standing up/sitting down while listening. Further, if you also thought of putting n3 as tweets, definitely, the cost will be high, considering planar has diff sonic directivity - to it will require you 2 N3 for every N10 (at the very least)!

My proposed design is based on 2 N10 only (per speaker, 8ohms - for wide amp compatibility)

No need to use N3, since N10 can do the N3 at some freq. N3 still lacks some air in upper spectrum, so it is better to use any efficient (to be attenuated) horn or dome (a good one is the Konzert titanium dome which we have good experience with - and high sensitvity as well) to only compensate a little on the high end. Better to use conventional tweets (being point source, instead of line source) because its dispersion is not much of an issue. Better yet, if you can get a tweets that can be angled to your listening ear level.

N10 mounted in a line, with the tweets mounted on the mid of the 2 N10. this mid section should be positioned ear level at your listening position. Thus, you have +/- 10 inches line array from your ear level - then enjoy the exotic sound of planars.

The base of these planar box is probably where you can mount the LF driver. If you are interested, I can email you diff variations which will not require so much money.

With the above, cost will not be that much.

just as i have also planned -n3 sandwiched by n10s but "chickened out" hehehe ;D di bale pag ok yung diy, kahuyin ko din itong isa pa x3 gawa ng "clubhouse sandwiched"

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM »
just as i have also planned -n3 sandwiched by n10s but "chickened out" hehehe ;D di bale pag ok yung diy, kahuyin ko din itong isa pa x3 gawa ng "clubhouse sandwiched"

N3, being planars have directivity issue, you need 4 N3 for 2N10 to give good results in the entire line of 2 N10. A single conventional tweeter (cut at higher cut-off) can do this at less cost, again noting that high freq will just be the icing on the 'cake'

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:35 AM »
N3, being planars have directivity issue, you need 4 N3 for 2N10 to give good results in the entire line of 2 N10. A single conventional tweeter (cut at higher cut-off) can do this at less cost, again noting that high freq will just be the icing on the 'cake'

tnx. esep-esep ko din yung daiichi oem ng famous pioneer pt6 horntweets or maka-arbor ng pinagtabasan ng piezo sa tabi-tabi ;D

wats more impt to me (& friend also with n10s) - woofers that will match with the ribbons. medyo matagal na sa amin ang ribbons pero wala mahanap na affordable 5inch to 8inch woofer to pair with them. 

any suggestion?
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM by oweidah »

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:54 AM »
suggestion lang po. para na rin sa mga balak mag-diy. aside from the "projected deal-price" revelation, sana may magpost din ng 93db+woofer/bass drivers available sa market na pwede i-match.

based on x3 reviews, aluminumcone bass/mids ginamit para mabilis, match sa n3 kasi baka di magmatch, mahuli ang bass sa ribbons. x3 excelled in dynamics and pacing, di nahuhuli, di nagugulo esp sa orchestral, classical pieces kayang-kaya change of pace. for now, i plan to use the x3 aluminum cone drivers & x3 xovers with the ribbons until i find a suitable woofer to match with the ribbons.

tnx :)

I dont know what makes them say the above  ;). Anyway,

DESIGN goal 1 - LF cut-off: 200Hz HF cut-off: 6Khz

materials: any powered subwoofer capable to cut at 200Hz
cross-over: raon-sourced 2way with 3.3uF cap to tweets (4.7uF cuts at 4.2khz)
tweeter: any high sensitivity tweets (93db up). easy to bring down sensitivity of any high sensitivity device (than to bring it up)

baffle shud have vol greater than 2liters per N10.
amp spkr out goes to sub spkr in - N10/tweets box connect to speaker out of sub

equalize sub to the N10/tweets tandem.

DESIGN GOAL 2 - LF cut-off: 1khz HF cut-off: 4.2khz

materials: 3way cross over (with 20uF to the mid and 4.7uF to the tweets)
any woofer with T/S parameters, and at least 89db.
make the box as recommended (sealed is the best for music at certain trade off of course). N10/tweets can have reduced sensitivity.
If you dont want it this way, you need 2 woofer (each 8ohms) to bring it to 92db (if it is 89db each) - the design will have to take into consideration the impedance. For this design, it will be practically 4ohms.

DESIGN GOAL 3 - depends on what's available

material example: any vintage 3 way design  :D (if you can choose cross over based on audio-heritage) - preferably 89-92db
so you know what am thinking  :D - it has cross over for you to use on both mid and hi. it has the woof tuned for you. It has the tweeter for you  ;D . divert it to the N10/tweets box. and then enjoy (with appropriate reduction of sensitivity if necessary).

Tweak the cross-over as much as you like for the 3 options if you like!  ;D

PM me if you have querries, and will try to help if I can  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 at 03:13 PM by pabili »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
I dont know what makes them say the above  ;). Anyway,

DESIGN goal 1 - LF cut-off: 200Hz HF cut-off: 6Khz

materials: any powered subwoofer capable to cut at 200Hz
cross-over: raon-sourced 2way with 3.3uF cap to tweets (4.7uF cuts at 4.2khz)
tweeter: any high sensitivity tweets (93db up). easy to bring down sensitivity of any high sensitivity device (than to bring it up)

baffle shud have vol greater than 2liters per N10.
amp spkr out goes to sub spkr in - N10/tweets box connect to speaker out of sub

equalize sub to the N10/tweets tandem.

DESIGN GOAL 2 - LF cut-off: 1khz HF cut-off: 4.2khz

materials: 3way cross over (with 20uF to the mid and 4.7uF to the tweets)
any woofer with T/S parameters, and at least 89db.
make the box as recommended (sealed is the best for music at certain trade off of course). N10/tweets can have reduced sensitivity. If you dont want it this way, you need 2 woofer (each 4ohms) to bring it to 92db (if it is 89db each) - the design will have to take into consideration the impedance.

DESIGN GOAL 3 - depends on what's available

material example: any vintage 3 way design  :D (if you can choose cross over based on audio-heritage) - preferably 89-92db
so you know what am thinking  :D - it has cross over for you to use on both mid and hi. it has the woof tuned for you. It has the tweeter for you  ;D . divert it to the N10/tweets box. and then enjoy (with appropriate reduction of sensitivity if necessary).

Tweak the cross-over as much as you like for the 3 options if you like!  ;D

PM me if you have querries, and will try to help if I can  :)
tnx. i also hope your post will encourage others who are interested with the ribbons but are not experienced diyrs, to sign-up (group buy)

pila na dito - dun muna ako sa NFA ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008 at 11:17 AM by oweidah »

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
any update on the pricing? i cant commit to the group buy unless Im sure il have enough left over to geta woofer  :D

btw I already have a tweeter for this, a 3/4 in Dayton 4ohm tweeter that I didnt get to use in my car. I just need to make sure Id have some left over for a woofer. If anyone here will order anything from PartsExpress, can I hitch with your Paypal/credit card? Il pay in advance, there's a woofer there that i want to get.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=299-818

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
This thread is not yet a 'commitment' to buy - but interest.

price can not be set as numbers of interest is not yet known - which will, in all likelihood, will dictate the price.

For those wanting to get their hands with these drivers, we can make the reverse. Indicate your perceived reasonable cost - and we'll put it in the negotiating table with the assembler.

So if you are interested, be counted. IF you have perceived cost, indicate.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=299-818

Good choice - also for a group buy!  ;D

It is better to limit your woofer to 6-8in so it can complement the design with the N10
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM by pabili »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
ok for those asking, 5k/pair  :)

just to give idea on neo10 pricing elsewhere....

http://www.htguide.com/forum
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread./showthread.php4?t=28038
php?threadid=112114

http://audax.ifm-online.net/content.php?seite=shop/produkte.php&hauptrubrik=2&details=83

1k Euro :o part of a speaker kit - one speaker lang. so 2kEuro pag pair

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM by oweidah »

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 10:35 AM »

I will not recommend this design - it will have issues in propagation, unless you will orient the upper portion in a horizontal manner - and maintain it at your ear level during listening!

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 10:39 AM »

ok for those asking, 5k/pair  :)

5K/pair is the typical retail sourcing. So you got an idea if we can band together for a group buy!

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #43 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 09:40 AM »
OK  4 pairs for me  :D

Online dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #44 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
1 pair for me :)

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
I'm also interested in getting a pair.  I just hope the master speaker DIYers (calling Anthony/Nerveblocker) will also get involved with this project.  If ever, I will have to go to them to make the enclosure for this.
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline Leonidas

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
1 pair for me also.  Don, paturo kung pano assemble.  Balak ko i-match with beyma drivers kung makaka source ako.

Robert

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #47 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 11:47 AM »
1 pair for me also.  Don, paturo kung pano assemble.  Balak ko i-match with beyma drivers kung makaka source ako.

Robert

OT:

Beyma is available at the Music Box II enterprises in Dau, Pampanga.   ;)  I'm presently using the 8AG/N fullrange driver for my speakers

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM »
I will not recommend this design - it will have issues in propagation, unless you will orient the upper portion in a horizontal manner - and maintain it at your ear level during listening!

Hi,

No flames, but just want to know how did you go about with your assessment that this design is not recommended?  Is it because the position of the tweeter is too high (way above the ear level)?  If so, then all it needs is to properly position the tweeter in the same plane..... not necessarily on top of the woofer cabinet.

Hope this helps.

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #49 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
gentlemen:

may i know the specs of these speakers.  am interested in acquiring a pair if it matches my
amp (onkyo tx-ds494).

tnx.

Online dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM »
OT po:

Robert

No problem Robert...Plan to pair also with a Beyma look-alike fullr driver (alnico magnet type) :)

OT:

Beyma is available at the Music Box II enterprises in Dau, Pampanga.   ;)  I'm presently using the 8AG/N fullrange driver for my speakers

Hi Jagner...may i know sir, how much it cost?Any  feedback  so far? :)

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM by dana »

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM »
OT po:
No problem Robert...Plan to pair also with a Beyma look-alike fullr driver (alnico magnet type) :)

Hi Jagner...may i know sir, how much it cost?Any  feedback  so far? :)

I got the Beyma 8AG/N for P 2,700/pair.

Here's how it looks when compared to the Dai-ichi HA-80F:

When mounted:

This driver has a 96dB sensitivity rating, thus, suited for flea watted amps, such as the 7189A SE of Edrel.  I'm driving these babies with a 2a3 SET.  The bandwidth is measured between 60 hz - 18 Khz, with a power rating of about 35 watts.  The driver worked well with my MLTQWT, and one german site recommended a BLH design for this driver.

Hope this helps.  :)

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM by Jagner »

Offline ferds

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 01:44 PM »

OT:

Kakatawag ko lang sa musicboxII.. wala na sila ng 8AGN speakrs...sayang..
------> www.FerdsAudio.com <------- Updated July 8

Online dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 02:08 PM »
pahabol na OT po...

Thanks for the info, Jagner.

Ferds, may parating pa daw ba or baka inubos mo na? ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 02:09 PM by dana »

Offline ferds

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 02:12 PM »
Ferds, may parating pa daw ba or baka inubos mo na? ;D

inubos na... hehe meron daw bumili ng 6pcs or pair (not sure) last sat yata.. actually meron pa sila 1 pair kaso nkareserve na daw..
------> www.FerdsAudio.com <------- Updated July 8

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 02:31 PM »
inubos na... hehe meron daw bumili ng 6pcs or pair (not sure) last sat yata.. actually meron pa sila 1 pair kaso nkareserve na daw..

;)  :D

Online dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 02:54 PM »

Thanks Ferds.
Most probably, may horny tour dun last sat acdg. sa kabila.  ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 03:02 PM by dana »

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 06:04 PM »
Hi,

No flames, but just want to know how did you go about with your assessment that this design is not recommended?  Is it because the position of the tweeter is too high (way above the ear level)?  If so, then all it needs is to properly position the tweeter in the same plane..... not necessarily on top of the woofer cabinet.

Hope this helps.

Because the propagation characteristics of this planar is controlled vertical, but wide horizontal dispersion. Kindly search the internet for planar issues, and from there, learn to enjoy planar. This is as implemented in R-800i, taking into consideration planar design.

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
I got the Beyma 8AG/N for P 2,700/pair.

Here's how it looks when compared to the Dai-ichi HA-80F:

When mounted:

This driver has a 96dB sensitivity rating, thus, suited for flea watted amps, such as the 7189A SE of Edrel.  I'm driving these babies with a 2a3 SET.  The bandwidth is measured between 60 hz - 18 Khz, with a power rating of about 35 watts.  The driver worked well with my MLTQWT, and one german site recommended a BLH design for this driver.

Hope this helps.  :)

I think you have a good buy of that full range - does it come with the T/S parameters?

Offline pabili

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 06:09 PM »
I have redesign the picture which oweidah posted here - but I cant post it in pdvd (block kasi pix sa amin) - but if somebody can PM me his email, so I can send to him for pdvd posting 4 alterations of the posted design taking into consideration its propagation characteristics  ;)