Author Topic: PLASMA MANUAL CALIBRATION NOT ALLOWED  (Read 17825 times)

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PLASMA MANUAL CALIBRATION NOT ALLOWED
« Reply #150 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 09:25 PM »
Ako naman ang magtatanong.

Let's say that you accessed your service menu and wrote down all default settings, modified the settings, then set all service menu settings back to default positions before sending the unit to Panasonic for repair. 

How would Panasonic know that you did in fact access the service menu?

GOOD question sir!!! ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 09:27 PM »

Let's say that you accessed your service menu and wrote down all default settings, modified the settings, then set all service menu settings back to default positions before sending the unit to Panasonic for repair. 

That is exactly how I would do it before I would allow an expert to tinker with the detailed settings within the service menu (in case ISF calibration or any fine tuning/optimizing requires such access).    :)

But does anybody know if accesses to the service menu are logged and kept in memory?   Spyderman?    

I've seen Sony serviceman make some adjustments on my TV through the service menu, and if Im not mistaken, I think I saw him save both the default settings and the new settings so that he could toggle between the 2 easily.  He mentioned to me that some parameters are not fixed values for all TVs of the same model, but within certain ranges.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008 at 09:35 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2416
« Reply #152 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 09:51 PM »

Panasonic will do a CSI Philippines. They will open it up and do fingerprinting to see who did it ;D ;D

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:51 PM »

Of course you can do that and Panasonic would never know! In fact, as Clondalkin mentions, before you start tinkering with the service menu, it is wisest to jot down all the default settings.

Likewise, it is true that the values of some parameters in the service menu vary from unit to unit. That's why you need to calibrate. Each unit is different.

Now, why do I think that this thread has made a lot of people curious about the service menu? It's very easy to access the service menu. Just google it. But be very careful. Hehe.  ;D ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM »

Of course you can do that and Panasonic would never know!

E di wala nga talagang silbi ang warning ni panaphil.   :D

Well, on second thought, meron din siguro.  Nalaman natin kung paano ang undetectable na pag-modify ng service menu.  Pasalamatan nyo naman si panaphil!  ;)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #155 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 04:26 AM »
E di wala nga talagang silbi ang warning ni panaphil.   :D

Well, on second thought, meron din siguro.  Nalaman natin kung paano ang undetectable na pag-modify ng service menu.  Pasalamatan nyo naman si panaphil!  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #156 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 07:45 AM »
given this warning and all .. id still prefer to buy from our trusted resellers here .. grey or not!
its really hard to communicate with big chain stores for warranty issues .. conversations would usually start with, "sir, baka naman nabagsak nyo?" wtf  >:( >:(
dito sa pinoydvd, "sira ba, sige kailan ka free for replacement/pickup?"  ;D ;D
thats why whenever i need something regarding AV, i wont hesitate on dealing with my "suki" ...

i used to own a grey unit .. but its not a panasonic tv, but a canon digicam .. :P
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:01 AM »
That's a good point.

The general rule is that it's better to buy from an authorized dealer. 

The exception is where the retailer already has an established reputation for good after-sales service, then it doesn't matter whether he is authorized or not, or whether the unit is gray or not.

The rationale behind buying an authorized unit is to get an assurance that a warranty will be honored.  But if a retailer already has a reputation for excellent after-sales service, then what advantage can buying an authorized unit give us?

Take the case of sir duncanfranchise, who bought a Nokia phone from an authorized retailer at the Podium.  When the buyer discovered a defect less than 24 hours after purchase, he requested a replacement unit from the retailer.  Nokia Philippines, citing its "no return for any defective unit" policy, refused to replace the phone, but was willing to repair it. 

Eventually, the retailer replaced the phone with a new unit at his own expense.  But Nokia Philippines adamantly refused to replace it, despite numerous email complaints from the customer to Nokia Phil. and the DTI (Dept. of Trade and Industry).

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=65450.0

Compare that with spyderman.  Just call and he will replace the unit, no questions asked.

Testimonials:

but for me, Vic still offers a great service, aftersales service that is. Nagkaproblema ang pv70 ko, isang text lang, walang tanong tanong, ang sagot lang nya " let me know kung kailan mo gustong palitan yung tv". ;)

yeah nangyari rin sakin nagka problem pv70 ko isang tawag lang palit agad.... ang tanong lang kung kelan mo gusto palintan....

meron bang ganyan sa iba?

====================================

its really hard to communicate with big chain stores for warranty issues .. conversations would usually start with, "sir, baka naman nabagsak nyo?" wtf  >:( >:(

Hindi na uso yan, sir.  Eto ang bago ngayon ----

"Sir baka naman nag-calibrate kayo..."  :D
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:10 AM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM »
The exception is where the retailer already has an established reputation for good after-sales service, then it doesn't matter whether he is authorized or not, or whether the unit is gray or not.

The rationale behind buying an authorized unit is to get an assurance that a warranty will be honored.  But if a retailer already has a reputation for excellent after-sales service, then what advantage can buying an authorized unit give us?

in the business sense .. its really hard to gain respect and trust from buyers ..
with their reputation at stake .. i doubt that they would even think of getting away with warranty/service issue ..  8)

Hindi na uso yan, sir.  Eto ang bago ngayon ----
"Sir baka naman nag-calibrate kayo..."  :D
hahaha atleast they have a new spiel now .. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
this thread is getting nowhere and is educating no one.

i move for its removal.

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 06:58 AM »
I agree with wanderLoLo.  But before I second his proposal to lock the thread, allow me to write my own conclusion about the topic:

1) Don’t put too much credence on panaphil’s warning.  After causing much confusion on this forum, he didn’t even have the courtesy to answer the questions that were raised about his vague warning.  Either he doesn’t know what spyder calibration is about or he simply favors the other seller on this forum.  Why? I don’t know.  Probably because the other seller pushes Panasonic brand more than any other brands.   He even has his own thread about Panasonic TVs.  The other seller on the other hand pushes all brands equally and is more objective when recommending TVs to buyers.  In my view, there’s really nothing wrong about that because it's always the seller's prerogative to sell whatever he wants to sell, but that could have influenced panaphil’s decision to issue such warning to the detriment of the other seller’s practice.

2) Where you buy your TV depends on you.  You can blindly put your trust on the manufacturer’s warranty or choose to get your TV from a trusted seller with good reputation for after sales service.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 07:36 AM »
this thread is getting nowhere and is educating no one.
i move for its removal.

i suggest that we wait for panaphil to answer, he may be a busy man/woman ..
or delete this thread and have him/her create a new thread, but with clearer bouderies/limitation .. medyo malabo kasi yung post nya eh :D

I agree with wanderLoLo.  But before I second his proposal to lock the thread, allow me to write my own conclusion about the topic:
1) Don’t put too much credence on panaphil’s warning.  After causing much confusion on this forum, he didn’t even have the courtesy to answer the questions that were raised about his vague warning.  Either he doesn’t know what spyder calibration is about or he simply favors the other seller on this forum.  Why? I don’t know.  Probably because the other seller pushes Panasonic brand more than any other brands.   He even has his own thread about Panasonic TVs.  The other seller on the other hand pushes all brands equally and is more objective when recommending TVs to buyers.  In my view, there’s really nothing wrong about that because it's always the seller's prerogative to sell whatever he wants to sell, but that could have influenced panaphil’s decision to issue such warning to the detriment of the other seller’s practice.2) Where you buy your TV depends on you.  You can blindly put your trust on the manufacturer’s warranty or choose to get your TV from a trusted seller with good reputation for after sales service.
pangit ba ang panasonic plasma tv para di i-push? (spyderman sold a lot of this too :) )
on 32" if the person has enough money to spend, "the other seller" most of the time suggest LG plasma not 32" panasonic lcdtv, unless the buyer really wants and lcdtv ..  (observation ko lang ito)
lets admit it, all of us are getting the best deals with these two sellers ..
btw is it possible that spyderman was caught red-handed by panaboy/gurl?
or was he complained by big appliance center? (this gets my vote since there is an appliance center in the vacinity)
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2008 at 07:40 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
Why remove the thread?

If we can talk about eating longganisa/lechon/corned beef, or even about philanderer's love life which are not exactly "good education", why remove this one?

At least we have something to discuss about and keep this site lively.

Nonetheless, personally, I think there are things/realities to be learned about this thread.

With respect.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM »
Even though I find this thread Silly......I wholeheartedly agree with Clondakin. ;D

A forum is  a place for liberal discussions,and as long as there are respondents to the thread,and it does not go against the limitations imposed by the board, the thread should be given a life of it's own.
Let it die naturally.

Liberal rule is one of the priniciples we have to live by.

There will always be discussions.
Let the intellectually challenge have their own thread;
As for the so called intellectually gifted, they should learn how to tolerate them.(if you can't then you're probably not gifted)
The world's not perfect.
The net at least provides us some sort of comfort knowing that every idea is worth being printed, being read and analyze,and in the end of being accepted or rejected.
Let the silliness of others make you realize how lucky you are. ;)
Always remember, the best annd worthwhile discoveries in the world started out from a crazy.wild and silly idea, in which some silly intellectuals started a lenghty discussion about. ;)

Now where does Panasonic comes in?  ???  :o

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #164 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
This thread only showed that Common sense is not so common anymore :(   ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 11:45 AM »
This thread only showed that Common sense is not so common anymore :(   ;D
there is actually a twist here why pana opted to flood threads ..  ;D ;D
funny how some guys here bash the "other" seller without knowing the facts .. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
there is actually a twist here why pana opted to flood threads ..  ;D ;D
funny how some guys here bash the "other" seller without knowing the facts .. :)

Care to elaborate?

Pero bago ang lahat, pede bang paki-claro muna;  di ba isang family lang lahat ng popular HT stores sa PinoyDVD?

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #167 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM »
Care to elaborate?

Pero bago ang lahat, pede bang paki-claro muna;  di ba isang family lang lahat ng popular HT stores sa PinoyDVD?

;D you got it bro ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM »
This thread only showed that Common sense is not so common anymore :(   ;D

:D  That's true.  Voltaire said that.  One of my favorite quotes.

I say this is a good thread, because it developed into a healthy discussion about warranties.

To those who insist on getting only authorized units, there's no need to worry.  As long as you're not buying from the back of a van or from some fly-by-night seller, all you have to do is ask, and the retailer will tell you.

But don't just ask if the unit has a warranty.  They might deliberately fail to inform you that they are referring to a store warranty, not a Panasonic Phil. warranty.  Just ask if the unit has a Panasonic Phil. warranty, and they will answer honestly.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2008 at 12:53 PM by barrister »

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
Nemesis91
PinoyDVD Legend
Re: Panasonic 2008 pv8/pv80/le8/lx80
« Reply #554 on: Yesterday at 11:10 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: jeyps11_c on Yesterday at 11:01 AM
Sir Jeff,

Do you do calibration para sa plasma (pv8). Hindi pa naka-calibrate yung sa akin and I think I have reached the break in period. PA PM na lang if there is a cost and scheduling

pm ko sayo settings.  

**Panasonic 2008 pv8/pv80/le8/lx80; page 19

Question: Isn't this the same as manual calibration which Panaphil said would void the warranty ???

Offline charlie 669

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
Nemesis91
PinoyDVD Legend
Re: Panasonic 2008 pv8/pv80/le8/lx80
« Reply #554 on: Yesterday at 11:10 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: jeyps11_c on Yesterday at 11:01 AM
Sir Jeff,

Do you do calibration para sa plasma (pv8). Hindi pa naka-calibrate yung sa akin and I think I have reached the break in period. PA PM na lang if there is a cost and scheduling

pm ko sayo settings.  

**Panasonic 2008 pv8/pv80/le8/lx80; page 19

Question: Isn't this the same as manual calibration which Panaphil said would void the warranty ???

boss, di ko alam kung na intindihan mo since mukhang matalino naman po kayo para mag tanong pa ng ganun or meron ka lang gustong palabasin.... basic remote lang yan boss MT. ^^)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 05:23 AM »
surg  i got the same pm from jeff and its just an adjustment with contrast, color, and brightness (iirc noise and others are of user preference *cant really tell right now cause i settled for the defaults), i dont think panaphil will react violently on that one .. ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 06:29 AM »
Siguro yun nga ang point ni surg.  It's just basic remote control adjustment of brightness, contrast, color, etc...same as the one being performed during spydercalibration ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 06:38 AM by R1DVD »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 08:42 AM »
A critical clue lies in your HDTV.

Question sa mga nagpa-calibrate (applies to any brand of HDTV or whether you used Spyder or ISF or anything else).

Does your HDTV allow calibration of the GRAYSCALE (or white balance or RGB settings or primary colors or whatever you want to call it) without accessing the service menu? 

If yes, which means your HDTV has an open architecture that features gain and bias control at your fingertip - GREAT. 

If no, so what exactly did your calibrator do about it?  If nothing because grayscale adjustment is not accessible, then fine.  If something, then BRILLIANT technician.

If grayscale controls are readily accessible yet the technician still accessed the esoteric service menu, then ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT calibrator - pero kwidaw (uso pa ba this word?) ka sa Panasonic.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 08:43 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #174 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:18 AM »
Madami na na-kwidaw dito! Cheesy

When my PJ was first calibrated, the RGB is readily available for tweaking, but the calibrator did not touched it. Only the basics using his tools eg. Avia, etc. Now regardng this flats, since the service menu can easily be accessed, here lies the question wether it was adjusted or not. I heard that adjusting this as well gives you a more stunning PQ, the downside of this is like your unit is programmed to run for 80kph only, once adjusted it went to 150kph at full speed at all times which results to faster wear and damage, then unit gets replaced. Kawawa nga yung Pana.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:52 AM by frootloops »

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:31 AM »
Madami na na-kwidaw dito! :D

When my PJ was first calibrated, the RGB is readily available for tweaking, but the calibrator did not touched it. Only the basics using his tools eg. Avia, etc. Now regardng this flats, since the service menu can easily be accessed, here lies the question wether it was adjusted or not. I heard that adjusting this as well gives you a more stunning PQ, the downside of this is like your unit is programmed to run for 80kph only, once adjusted it went to 150kph at full speed at all times which results to faster wear and damage, then unit gets replaced. Kawawa nga yung Pana.

Tweaking the service menu involves changing the default settings of your TV to the optimum settings attained from the calibration.  The optimum settings then become the new "ZERO" settings.  Usually, the range of the standard settings (Contrast, Color, etc.) is much wider in the service menu.  Also, if you have a geometry problem (such as skewed horizons, etc.), going into the service menu is the only way to fix it.  However, by going into the guts of your TV's settings and changing factory defaults, you understandably run the risk of voiding your warranty.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:35 AM by tetablanco »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:39 AM »
Madami na na-kwidaw dito! :D

OT: guys do you think this will shorten the projectors bulb life?
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
Ganito ba yan?...

Like your unit is programmed to run for 80kph only, once calibrated (RGB or greyscale) it now became 150kph at full speed at all times which results to faster wear and damage, then unit gets replaced.

No. A proper calibration will not accelerate the depreciation of your display.

OT: guys do you think this will shorten the projectors bulb life?

If done correctly, proper calibration may even extend the bulb life of the pj.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
Ganito ba yan?...

Like your unit is programmed to run for 80kph only, once calibrated (RGB or greyscale) it now became 150kph at full speed at all times which results to faster wear and damage, then unit gets replaced.

No, definitely not.

Point # 1:  Not full speed.

The default setting is a torch mode (Vivid) designed to impress at the showroom.  That's the setting that will cause faster wear and tear.  Calibration greatly reduces the default settings, resulting in greatly reduced wear and tear. 

It's actually the other way around.  If your unit is designed to run at 80 kph; then after calibration, you'll be running it at 60 kph.

Point # 2:  Does not cause breakdowns.

Running your plasma TV at torch mode will reduce the life of your phosphors (i.e., the phosphors dim faster), but it will not cause the TV to break down during the warranty period.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 10:02 AM by barrister »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #179 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 10:14 AM »
No, definitely not.

Point # 1:  Not full speed.

The default setting is a torch mode (Vivid) designed to impress at the showroom.  That's the setting that will cause faster wear and tear.  Calibration greatly reduces the default settings, resulting in greatly reduced wear and tear. 

It's actually the other way around.  If your unit is designed to run at 80 kph; then after calibration, you'll be running it at 60 kph.

Point # 2:  Does not cause breakdowns.

Running your plasma TV at torch mode will reduce the life of your phosphors (i.e., the phosphors dim faster), but it will not cause the TV to break down during the warranty period.

... Same principle for projectors.  Just replace "phosphors" with "bulb" and it's the same thing.

Many thanks for the crystal clear explanation. And this calibration is referring only to the basic settings and not adjusting the RGB. right? So if several members here vouch that the calibrator only used the basics, what is the problem of Pana? ...or reminder lang yun? Kasi correct me if Im wrong, wether the calibrator is from an authorized or unauhtorized dealer  as long as he does not touch the RGB, then there's no problem.

edited.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM by frootloops »